Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 70 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Definitely think we need another centre mid or two, a striker and a right wing back.

If we get two CM’s it gives Grant more flexibility to play at left wingback. I don’t think Lowe will ever play Cooper in the middle, he hasn’t so far. Apart from maybe Crewe away when he tried something completely new and it failed terribly? I also think this would allow Law the opportunity to go on loan to Torquay again, to hopefully have a “ Randellesque season”.

Obviously we need a another striker. I like the sound of Rhys Shirley but is he at the required level for a National League loan yet? We really should have kept Lolos. Personally I think we need a starting striker. A proven L1 forward, although I realise they don’t come cheap.

My other concern is the defence. Not because of their quality, but because a couple of them come having had injury ridden seasons last year. James Bolton hasn’t exactly had a good start to life at Argyle with his injury either. Of course we’re fully stocked up in this position but I just hope they are over their injuries.

It’s gonna be a hard season I think. There’s a lot of money getting chucked about at the top end of this league, take Charlie Wyke at Wigan on 10k a week for example.

Hopefully we get at least a couple of the recruits we need before the end of the transfer window.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I’m starting to think that by the end of the season that Adam Randell might be the RM we’ve wanted as this seems the one position where I feel we area ‘off balance’ slightly given so much of our attacking threat comes down the left hand side.

Mar 1, 2014
Ilfracombe, Devon
Wrexham has famous new owners and are going for it this season, but that's still a surprising move for Mullin.

Still, I guess when you're a lower-league player it's all about making as much as you can before you retire.
Oh definitely. Best of luck to them I say; they're definitely making the right noises so I'm hoping they go up with Torquay this season.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I’m starting to think that by the end of the season that Adam Randell might be the RM we’ve wanted as this seems the one position where I feel we area ‘off balance’ slightly given so much of our attacking threat comes down the left hand side.
I will be surprised if Randell doesn’t find a place in our midfield very soon.
Most on here seem to acknowledge his potential but believe he will only have a similar season to Reeves last year.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I will be surprised if Randell doesn’t find a place in our midfield very soon.
Most on here seem to acknowledge his potential but believe he will only have a similar season to Reeves last year.

from what I’ve seen so far I’d say Randell is a better presser of the ball than Reeves. I’d also say he looks to pass the ball forward more too.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I suspect that is absolute nonsense.
I’m not clear what you think ‘is absolute nonsense’?
That Randell will find a place in our midfield very soon or my suggestion that most on here believe he will have a similar season to Reeves last year i.e. more appearances from the bench than as a starter?

Apr 1, 2009
I’m not clear what you think ‘is absolute nonsense’?
That Randell will find a place in our midfield very soon or my suggestion that most on here believe he will have a similar season to Reeves last year i.e. more appearances from the bench than as a starter?
Your suggestion is what I think is nonsense. Have most on here actually commented on Randell, let alone predict how much game time he will get? Has anyone specifically compared him to Reeves? I have seen a number of people be extremely positive about Randell, whilst some others have urged caution in terms of putting too much expectation on him. I don't think the latter are out of order, believing that some of the ridiculous over hype of Jephcott last season did the player no good at all.

Davie, I'll try and say this politely. You were very defensive throughout last season whenever anyone criticised Mike Cooper. On the whole nothing wrong with that, but there was the odd occasion where you seemed to take it very personally! I sense you are underwhelmed with some people's cautious expectations for Randell - unnecessarily so IMO at this stage, as everyone I speak to seems very excited about him. I just don't think it is true that most on here expect him to have a season like Reeves, and would be very surprised if the evidence showed that had been expressed.

Relax! Randell will get significantly more game time than Reeves, and make more of it.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Just to show the diversity of this league in terms of budgets..

Ipswich have had a £1million bid accepted for a Rangers centre back and are also in talks with Barnsley’s Conor Chaplin. On top of the 4/5 established L1 players they’ve already paid money for.

Crazy!

Reactions: ealinggreen
Sep 25, 2010
Just to show the diversity of this league in terms of budgets..

Ipswich have had a £1million bid accepted for a Rangers centre back and are also in talks with Barnsley’s Conor Chaplin. On top of the 4/5 established L1 players they’ve already paid money for.

Crazy!
Yep, how much debt are Ipswich in ?

Rowlypilgrim

Jam First
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 13, 2021
I think for me, underneath all the interesting opinions and rumours, is a deep seated concern that having been through the last 17 months, nothing has changed in terms of money changing hands.

I dearly want Argyle to be successful or at least to compete this year, but I fully support the James Brent and now Simon Hallett way of doing things. To hear that Wrexham are paying a new player £10k per week in the current global climate seems quite irresponsible to me.

We have seen recently the Salford city model of spending big to guarantee success and it hasn’t worked so far…..I know it is up to the owners if they want to splash their cash, but I am not sensing any financial re-adjustment following the global pandemic, no realignment of expectations from club owners, players or agents.

To hear Sancho going to Man U for £73m and Kane maybe off to City for over £100m as well as possibly Grealish shows me that the game is still totally out of financial control at the top end and this is fuelling inflated demands and expectations right down through the pyramid at a time when many clubs will be hard pushed to remain viable after the punishing effects of the pandemic.

I agree that the squad feels “thin“ currently, but this time last year it became bloated and full of average player. I hope RL does achieve another 3-4 signings, whether they be our own or loanees but I don’t want us to make the mistake of panic signing just to fill the slots.

Reactions: Greendawe