Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 69 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

Mar 14, 2009
If we are going to press you need energetic players in midfield. That isn’t C Grant. So to me unless he is the regular LWB then where do you put him? He then becomes a squad player. You need better in the middle of the park.

I don’t get why we are playing a two forward system if you have only 3 senior pro’s to fill those positions.

In regards to number of players. I’m sure he said maybe we might get one more through the door in the next couple of weeks.

He did mention possibility of two but only one was more likely in the coming weeks. Maybe that second player will arrive near the transfer deadline. Yet l wouldn’t expect more than one before the season starts. He is definitely holding funds back for January too.

There isn’t going to be 3 or 4 unless we have injuries.

If it were me I’d looking for a very attacking RB. I’d move Edwards into midfield. I would bring in a more physical forward.

Last edited:

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Mayor playing just behind a striker in a
3-1-4-1-1

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I don't think the squad is big enough. Perhaps three more? I think we need an attacking midfielder, another forward and perhaps another big lad at the back. It's a long old season after all.

Feb 8, 2005
In order to further the development boys we need to find places for them to play in the team.

I don't mean as first team starters, but to fill in when we have injuries/suspensions.

I suspect that is what Lowe is relying on, at the moment.

He is keeping back some finance for the January window, if needed, and he expects one in, maybe, before the season starts, with the possibility of another coming in, on loan, before the window ends.

One of these HAS to be a striker, you would have thought, and possibly a midfielder to cover a position not covered by the boys.

If we are not getting any youngsters in, on loan, which is the cheaper option, and is the case, then the budget we have will not stretch to the same number of players as previous seasons, so don't expect too many more to come in.

Mar 11, 2011
I don't think the squad is big enough. Perhaps three more? I think we need an attacking midfielder, another forward and perhaps another big lad at the back. It's a long old season after all.
Agree with this. It would be insanity to go into a 50+ game season with only 20 senior players (especially when some have a history of injuries and some are very inexperienced), when 18 are needed for each match day squad, although I see that only 3 subs will be allowed this season rather than 5 as was the case last season.

A squad of 22-24 seems about right and that number should allow for them all to get some game time. There will no doubt be times when we will have 6 or more out injured.
I haven’t seen a lot of the academy lads. Some of them seem very promising but a squad of 20 would mean they would regularly be filling the bench At least. That would put us at a serious disadvantage compared to other clubs with larger squads with game changers on the bench. It wouldn’t be realistic or fair on the young lads to expect them to slot in seamlessly at L1 level.

I don’t think the number of players incoming in this window is set in stone. RL said in the fans forum that he tried to get some of our new signings last January. He may be inclined to keep some of his budget back for next January but if the right player becomes available he may be inclined to try for them now. If we are looking at loans the impact on the budget will depend on how much we have to contribute towards the players wages of course. If they are from a Championship club, the parent club may pay most of the wage. If they are from a fellow L1 club they would be likely to expect us to pay all or most of the player’s wage I would think.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Personally I think we need an attacking midfielder (someone not dissimilar to Mayor), but who is able to play in the centre or on the right; and also a further option upfront, someone with a bit of height.

For me, LWB position looks ok as it is - we have a number of left sided players who can play there - or adapt at a push.
Totally agree with this 👍

Reactions: Green guile
Jul 28, 2020
Other posters have alluded to this as well, but in this unprecedentedly slow transfer window, I wouldn’t necessarily take everything that clubs are saying currently at face value. Reading between the lines, it may be that players and agents have very fixed views at this time on terms, fees, length of contract etc. ... which may turn out to be increasingly mutable as the window draws to a close. I’m anticipating that there may well be a large volume of player movement at the close of the window.

It can’t be helpful for clubs to be doing a great deal of their business, potentially, after the season has started- so I would guess that the dates of the window might be changed, in future, to prevent this happening again.

Looking at Argyle’s squad I can see as many as four vacancies ( depending on whether you count some of the younger players in the squad). Our chairman has expertise in the financial sector.As any investor knows an excellent time to invest can often be when markets are at their lowest ebb- - so I wouldn’t discount Argyle investing cash into the transfer market at this time- particularly if young players, with the potential to develop, become available. Neither would I necessarily discount the possibility of a surprise departure.

The number one gap in our squad, in my opinion, is creativity beyond Danny Mayor- which gives Argyles attack a predictability which is very helpful for opponents. Argyle scouts will have been regular visitors to the Banks stadium in recent times scouting Dan Scarr, and I wonder whether there is also an interest in Rory Holden ? The diminutive Holden ,23, ( a versatile attacking midfielder / winger) has been linked with Argyle in the recent past. The Derry born player ,has established a reputation for himself at Walsall, and seems to fit the profile of what Argyle might need, with his speed, agility and technical skill. New manager Matt Taylor has been busy with incomings since his recent appointment, and it’s interesting to note that Holden didn’t play in the recent friendly against Aston Villa.

Reactions: Tugboat

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Personally I think we need an attacking midfielder (someone not dissimilar to Mayor), but who is able to play in the centre or on the right; and also a further option upfront, someone with a bit of height.

For me, LWB position looks ok as it is - we have a number of left sided players who can play there - or adapt at a push.
That could be George Cooper. The obvious place for him is the right-side attacking midfield position cutting in onto his stronger foot to shoot. It’d be a brave manager who starts with those two in midfield and two up front though.

Dec 30, 2020
That could be George Cooper. The obvious place for him is the right-side attacking midfield position cutting in onto his stronger foot to shoot. It’d be a brave manager who starts with those two in midfield and two up front though.
People want a new attacking midfielder because along with strikers they're the most exciting and glamorous signings, but we've already got loads. Mayor (who will play every game if fit) plus Cooper, Camara whose game is mainly about carrying the ball up the pitch and running at defenders... Houghton and Randell will play deeper but their attributes are attacking ones relating to their passing ability.

What we don't have is someone who is going to win the ball for these players. Teams just walked through us in midfield last season and I worry it's going to happen again.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Our supposed transfer target Paul Mullin of Cambridge has signed for Wrexham who play in the National League.
That's a surprise because several League One and Two clubs were rumoured to be interested in him.

Jun 27, 2019
Wrexham has famous new owners and are going for it this season, but that's still a surprising move for Mullin.

Still, I guess when you're a lower-league player it's all about making as much as you can before you retire.

Reactions: Newmansd
Mar 14, 2009
I echo what others have said regarding our creativity. If we lost Mayor via injury or he simply doesn’t perform l don’t think with have enough options with Cooper only just coming back from an ACL.

I also think we are a top forward short. I’m still not won over by Jephcott and Hardie l find is a bit “flimsy“ with the physical side of things.

I think we just lack a couple of top attack minded players but if we can find those then we can have a solid season in and around 9th to 14th.

Reactions: Chip green

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I tend to agree with you about Hardie. He has great pace and gets into good attacking positions but he really needs to compose himself after he has done all the hard work. I am hoping that he will benefit from Cooper’s return.
Jephcott also needs to compose himself better. Against Swansea, Hardie set him up with a one on one but he ‘telegraphed’ his shot and the keeper made an easy save. He also failed to respond quickly enough to the rebound when Law’s shot came back off the post.
Having said that, Ennis also missed a great heading opportunity early on.
The more I think about it the more I realise that COMPOSURE is the key word for Argyle’s players as we frequently get into great scoring positions but either fail to execute the final pass or shot. Mayor and Camara are not blameless with this and Conor Grant has a wand of a left foot but he doesn’t ‘connect’ as often as he should.
Well, that’s Hardie, Jephcott, Ennis, Mayor, Camara and Grant sorted but I am still optimistic that we will see a big improvement this season.