Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 67 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

Mar 14, 2009
Asked by who MGM ?

In today press conference video and asked by Errington.

l don’t think it’s a ploy Tugboat. He said if the right one comes along then fine but he is genuinely happy with what he has. He feels the youngsters have been impressive so far and they may give competition needed.

He added that this gives them an opportunity to see if they need something before the August deadline but also room to do things in January.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
That’s a little disappointing.
Nice to have some of the youngsters involved but I still think we are short of st least 3/4.

Injury's/suspensions and match fitness/fatigue will ravish this thin squad very quickly.

Reactions: ealinggreen
Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I am optimistic that Ryan Law could be a candidate for the LWB position this season.
He has good stamina and is capable of putting in decent crosses.
Also, there seems to be a reluctance to accept that Adam Randell’s involvement in the team is not imminent.
I am a bit concerned that Bolton’s absence has not been explained.
RL has now explained his absence. See today's Club news items

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Nice to have some of the youngsters involved but I still think we are short of st least 3/4.

Injury's/suspensions and match fitness/fatigue will ravish this thin squad very quickly.
I reckon he's just keeping his cards close to his chest. I expect a couple more signings before the end of the August deadline.

Reactions: Tugboat

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
I reckon he's just keeping his cards close to his chest. I expect a couple more signings before the end of the August deadline.
I agree but this is a mid covid pandemic squad. I think most clubs will have less 'reserves' and use their youngsters. The youngsters are already here, are settled locally. Players may be less inclined to move here (poss. away from family during a pandemic) if they may not be playing a lot of football. Different times chaps!

Aug 15, 2015
Bumped into Schumacher in town today and put him on the spot about transfers. Said 'we have one or two irons in the fire'.

You just lost 15 seconds of your life you will never get back. You're welcome.

Mar 11, 2011
I would have serious concerns about our prospects this season if we do not see at least a few more new faces before the start of the season and I’d be amazed if the management team cannot see the need for this. That is not a slight on our first choice 11, more a comment on the lack of depth in the squad. I hope we don’t leave things until January as indicated above - the season will be more than half over by then and deals are often difficult to do in January anyway. RL says that we have recruited more new players than many other clubs but that’s not necessarily relevant - perhaps they didn’t have as many leavers at the end of the season as we did.

16 players left at the end of last season (10 released, 5 loans ended and Sawyer retired). Even with the number of players that we had, we were down to the bare bones towards the end of the season. Yes, it was an exceptional season, with extra players needed to cover for COVID absences and to deal with the compressed season. So far, those 16 have been replaced with just 6 new senior players (7 if Galloway signs).

George Cooper won’t be ready for the start of the season and it seems Bolton is doubtful. Apparently there were only 16 senior pros at Saltash last night and there are another 5 friendlies to play before the league season begins.

Obviously 18 players are needed for each match day squad and we need substitutes who are potential game changers, not just making up the numbers. It’s right that our young players be given an opportunity but they need to be used sparingly, not playing twice a week and ideally just one or two starting at a time.

Galloway and Wilson both have a history of injuries. Can we be confident that they can play 40-50 games this season?

The likes of Randell, Law, Pursall and Tomlinson (who we were told may go out on loan) have very little experience of L1 football between them.

Surely a team that plays 2 up front needs at least 4 forwards, ideally 5 if possible (perhaps 1 that can play in a wide position or just behind the main striker as well rather than just an out and out forward). I’m a fan of Jephcott but he went a long time without a goal at the end of last season.

I would also like to see an attacking midfielder who can chip in with some goals to help out the forwards otherwise I’m not convinced we will score enough. We lacked goals from midfield last season and this so far hasn’t been addressed. We may not be able to rely on so many goals from Edwards this coming season.

I hope I’m wrong but the squad looks paper thin at the moment to me. If we go with what we‘ve got I think we may be desperately looking around for loans at the end of August. I guess we will have a better idea of the strength of the squad after the forthcoming friendlies against better opposition.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I’m out if breath reading that but you have made some relevant observations. Perhaps, there will be a couple of trialists at Bristol on Saturday.

Feb 8, 2005
I am optimistic that Ryan Law could be a candidate for the LWB position this season.
Also, there seems to be a reluctance to accept that Adam Randell’s involvement in the team is not imminent.
He has an ankle injury, Davie.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Yeah I’d like to know what has happened with Bolton too..

Mar 14, 2009
If you believe what Lowe says, it won’t be more than one or two.

Errington “How do you feel about the squad depth and the number of players you got at the moment? Would you like to add a few more”

Lowe “Yeah, we would like to add a few more …” but then goes onto to say “We done our business early. What we needed and what we got in. No real rush. We identified a few targets of loan players”.

“We identified one or two targets and then see what pans out in the next weeks”

Errington then says “Another two or three and then your there, do you think?”

Lowe responds by saying “I don’t know, we might not get any. The squad we got now we feel is good enough”

Now for me, we haven‘t added crucially to that squad in terms of attacking options. Last season l felt we didn’t have the depth.

l wonder if we are struggling to get the players in we identified because early part of pre-season Lowe said he would start at the back and recruitment be worked away through the team. We have got to the CDM position after taking care of the defence and it’s stuttered somewhat.

l look at CM/CAM Mayor, Camara and C Grant. Now unless Edwards is being ear marked for a return to CM and Bolton is going to play RWB, we seem very light here. You could add Randell to the mix but he l feel covers Houghton at CDM.

l look at the forwards. Hardie, Jephcott and Ennis. If he wants to play two and one is injured or out of form then again very light on numbers.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford

Oooo-errr missus! I think you meant ravage but hey-ho 😆

• Haha
Reactions: Tugboat
Sep 2, 2008
If you believe what Lowe says, it won’t be more than one or two.

Errington “How do you feel about the squad depth and the number of players you got at the moment? Would you like to add a few more”

Lowe “Yeah, we would like to add a few more …” but then goes onto to say “We done our business early. What we needed and what we got in. No real rush. We identified a few targets of loan players”.

“We identified one or two targets and then see what pans out in the next weeks”

Errington then says “Another two or three and then your there, do you think?”

Lowe responds by saying “I don’t know, we might not get any. The squad we got now we feel is good enough”

Now for me, we haven‘t added crucially to that squad in terms of attacking options. Last season l felt we didn’t have the depth.

l wonder if we are struggling to get the players in we identified because early part of pre-season Lowe said he would start at the back and recruitment be worked away through the team. We have got to the CDM position after taking care of the defence and it’s stuttered somewhat.

l look at CM/CAM Mayor, Camara and C Grant. Now unless Edwards is being ear marked for a return to CM and Bolton is going to play RWB, we seem very light here. You could add Randell to the mix but he l feel covers Houghton at CDM.

l look at the forwards. Hardie, Jephcott and Ennis. If he wants to play two and one is injured or out of form then again very light on numbers.
I agree and its worrying to think that he feels the squad we've got is good enough. Although to be fair to him, if you take a step back and ask yourself; last season would we have been happy if we had this defence/CDM to back up the midfield/forwards and if we did, would we have done better? I guess a case could be made showing that perhaps we do have a good enough squad considering the new signings.

I certainly think the people he's put in the defensive positions are better than what we had but then again, that wouldn't have been too difficult to do.

Time will tell....

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
There are a load of different people for Lowe to think about when answering questions that are going to end up in the open:

Supporters - will want to hear positive news about new players joining to make us stronger;

Existing Players - will hope there's no-one coming in to threaten their place or shake their confidence;

Potential future players - will be expecting that we need players and where they will fit in;

Agents - will want to hear that we have loads of money to splash and we desperately need someone to cover a position.

It takes time to get the right players. Relax