Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 66 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

Mar 14, 2009
Hmm, might be wrong but Galloway is a very slight lad and from memory bombs up the line. Could be very wrong, but don't recall him being in the mould of a CB. If not, we look one short in my view, but then I could be very wrong on him.

Well Lowe is using him currently as one of the three CB’s.

What was the main thing Watts lacked last season. Pace. Argyle need pace in the back 3 to cover the gaps the wing backs will leave,

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019
If wing backs were wingers, Southgate would have played Rashford and Sancho there, but he didn’t. He played defenders.

That's true, though it's worth pointing out that Southgate is a former defender and a conservative coach, whereas RL was a striker and plays a more attacking style as coach.

There are examples of wingers playing at wingback - Hudson-Odoi recently at Chelsea, Adama Traore at Wolves and Joshua Kimmich for Germany (he's a midfielder by trade). George Cooper certainly isn't the first midfielder/winger to play the wingback role.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Obviously 'wing-backs' can essentially be converted full-backs or converted wide midfielders/forwards and if they are the former they might have a defensive mindset/skillset or a more offensive one. There are plenty of full-backs who you can easily imagine being effective attacking wing-backs (someone like Leighton Baines for example) but there are others who would basically revert to being a defender.

So, obviously, I think, it is absolutely critical who the player is as to what kind of wing-back play you might get out of them.

But I think an additional issue is whether or not a player is USED to playing as a wing-back. Taking the England team as an example - Shaw and Trippier are both reasonably effective going forwards but playing as a wing-back is not their natural/familiar role (actually I am not sure about Trippier). It's inevitable, therefore, that they will tend to revert to being more defensive with their positioning etc. England might well have done better when playing 3-5-2 using two wing-backs who were used to the formation.

With this in mind the key must be either to recruit players who are already playing as a wing-back elsewhere (difficult because as I have pointed out before, most teams do not play that way) or to give converted players enough time to learn the role and unlearn their previous one (but they would also need certain attributes to be successful) or to bring through young players who have been schooled through the youth set-up to play in the position.

Sorry - I've been rambling here and have contributed to the thread going off topic.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I am optimistic that Ryan Law could be a candidate for the LWB position this season.
He has good stamina and is capable of putting in decent crosses.
Also, there seems to be a reluctance to accept that Adam Randell’s involvement in the team is not imminent.
I am a bit concerned that Bolton’s absence has not been explained.

Nov 2, 2004
Have to say that I wish Law well but I have my doubts. Randall however,is a real prospect and I hope that he gets plenty of game time.

Aug 17, 2005
Before the matches I thought that Galloway and mc ( sorry for no full name I know I will get spelling wrong). Thought they would be playing in each others position to which they played.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Ryan Lowe has explained that new signing James Bolton missed the first two pre-season games due to an ankle injury and doesn't know if the defender will be ready for the start of the season.

Jan 12, 2011
Exiled in Cornwall
I am optimistic that Ryan Law could be a candidate for the LWB position this season.
Also, there seems to be a reluctance to accept that Adam Randell’s involvement in the team is not imminent.
An ankle injury is why Bolton has not featured.

Plymouth Live

Edit:
Ottawa snuck in whilst I was gathering the link :LOL:

Reactions: davie nine

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
Galloway has an excellent pedigree, albeit curtailed by injury. He is 6'2" tall and an accomplished elegant player, comfortable on either foot. His recovery pace is notable. He reminds me very much of Sylvain Distin in style and appearance. If signed he will be competitive with Gillesphey for the LCB spot. He did play briefly at LWB, last night, where his pace, recovery and height would be an asset. On the right contractual terms he could be a useful acquisition to complement the squad as he can play a variety of left sided roles.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
In my opinion, Law is at the stage of his development where he either has to play or has to go on loan again. If he doesn’t breakthrough this year it isn’t going to happen for him at Argyle. I think with a more experienced back 3 next to him, he will both have more license to attack and have someone to guide him through games positionally. His work rate is excellent so I have no doubts he has all the tools to be an excellent wing back, but it’s whether he’s good enough to a) be first choice from the start of the season and b) hold that place down against Grant, Cooper and potentially Galloway.

I think we also need to be cautious of our expectations with Adam Randell. Clearly a very talented lad, but to be starting in a League One side in the spine of the team at the age of 20 is quite uncommon and we saw the issues Fornah had last year. He’s just come off a very long, difficult season with Torquay and initially it is likely he will be a rotational option who starts all of the cup games. Again, this season is his chance to work towards breaking into the first 11 by the time the season ends, but I don’t think we should expect him to be controlling games of football in our starting XI all being asked to perform out of position (wing-back) from day one.

Mar 14, 2009
Lowe was asked today about further signings.

Possibly one or two. They would appear to be loans. However, he also added might not get any more.

Personally, l think the lack of a CM to compete with Camara and Mayor is a concern. I don’t think Grant is good enough at CM.

To have only 3 forward options when you play two upfront is a concern too.

l think those two positions require two really top level players for league one if we are going to compete.

Very surprised at today’s comments. He must really think the youngsters are ready for league one football.

Reactions: leeroy221

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I thin

Possibly one or two. They would appear to be loans. However, he also added might not get any more.

Personally, l think the lack of a CM to compete with Camara and Mayor is a concern. I don’t think Grant is good enough at CM.

l think those two positions require two really top level players for league one if we are going to compete.

Very surprised at today’s comments. He must really think the youngsters are ready for league one football.

I think it’s a ploy.

If agents and players know we are still looking for additions then they could use us as a bargaining tool.

if we aren't looking then any deal has to be on our terms with a ‘you need us more than we need you’ tactic.

Good move Lowe.

Reactions: leeroy221
Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth

Asked by who MGM ?