Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 50 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

Aug 5, 2016
Railway sleeper":3a3ljb41 said:
Unfortunately we will never be able to compete wages- wise for players who have made it ( the Luton version of sonny Bradley, the Charlton version of Jayden Stockley) )- what we can do, is take a punt on upwardly mobile players - the Dan scarr’s , the Dwight Marshall’s and maybe the Ryan bowmans

More fun anyway, IMO

Ryan Bowman isn't upwardly mobile. He is a 29 year old League Two journeyman.

If he was 22 it might be different, but we aren't going to sit Hardie, Ennis and Jephcott on the bench to take a punt on Exeter's latest forward to score a dozen goals.

Jul 28, 2020
Knibbsworth":100hjte2 said:
Railway sleeper":100hjte2 said:
Unfortunately we will never be able to compete wages- wise for players who have made it ( the Luton version of sonny Bradley, the Charlton version of Jayden Stockley) )- what we can do, is take a punt on upwardly mobile players - the Dan scarr’s , the Dwight Marshall’s and maybe the Ryan bowmans

More fun anyway, IMO

Ryan Bowman isn't upwardly mobile. He is a 29 year old

If he was 22 it might be different, but we aren't going to sit Hardie, Ennis and Jephcott on the bench to take a punt on Exeter's latest forward to score a dozen goals.

Check out the YouTube clips- would be interested to hear your opinion

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Knibbsworth":1vcfc285 said:
Railway sleeper":1vcfc285 said:

More fun anyway, IMO

Ryan Bowman isn't upwardly mobile. He is a 29 year old League Two journeyman.

A better 4th striker for us than Frank Nouble though last season?

Mar 16, 2009
London
Railway sleeper":os7a437h said:
Knibbsworth":os7a437h said:
Railway sleeper":os7a437h said:

More fun anyway, IMO

I checked out some You Tube clips, and I’m wondering if this is an attempt at satire?

Jul 28, 2020
Justin":13hq5giq said:
Railway sleeper":13hq5giq said:
Knibbsworth":13hq5giq said:
Railway sleeper":13hq5giq said:

More fun anyway, IMO

I checked out some You Tube clips, and I’m wondering if this is an attempt at satire?

Centre forwards can divide opinion- perhaps like no other type of player. I remember when luggy signed Peter crouch ( then a 23 year old) from Aston Villa in 2004, the fans were none too happy about it. Crouchy lasted longer than luggy I think- and did pretty well for the saints ( 12 goals in 27 appearances).

It is interesting to look at how Argyle have lined up, up front over the years. Lowe has tended to go for two quick strikers up front- similar in style to Ian Holloway’s side and the famous Hayles/Ebanks - Blake pairing.

I always prefer to see a big fella up front, in partnership with a nippy co- striker. I think that goes back to watching the David kemp/ Jon sims partnership under Bobby Saxton.

It has been interesting to watch the big centre forwards through the years - and there have been quite a few. A few standout in my memory- the awkward but effective Stewart evans ( not a big fan), but admired his endeavour), the excellent Sean McCarthy, Trigger ( of course) and Vincent pericard ( watching him barge his way past hapless defenders- very amusing ).

I always prefer to see Argyle play with a big mobile centre forward ( with a nippy co- striker)- I just think it gives the side so many more options- both in attack and defence.

Lowe flirted with the idea of a big centre forward with Frank Nouble- but as others have said, didn’t really work, as he was more of a wide man. I personally hope that a big centre forward ( whether or not that is Ryan Bowman) is high on Ryan’s shopping list during this pre- season.....

Dec 30, 2020
Railway sleeper":1pefsqe1 said:
Justin":1pefsqe1 said:
Knibbsworth":1pefsqe1 said:

More fun anyway, IMO

Centre forwards can divide opinion- perhaps like no other type of player. I remember when luggy signed Peter crouch ( then a 23 year old) from Aston Villa in 2004, the fans were none too happy about it. Crouchy lasted longer than luggy I think- and did pretty well for the saints ( 12 goals in 27 appearances).

It is interesting to look at how Argyle have lined up, up front over the years. Lowe has tended to go for two quick strikers up front- similar in style to Ian Holloway’s side and the famous Hayles/Ebanks - Blake pairing.

I always prefer to see a big fella up front, in partnership with a nippy co- striker. I think that goes back to watching the David kemp/ Jon sims partnership under Bobby Saxton.

It has been interesting to watch the big centre forwards through the years - and there have been quite a few. A few standout in my memory- the awkward but effective Stewart evans ( not a big fan), but admired his endeavour), the excellent Sean McCarthy, Trigger ( of course) and Vincent pericard ( watching him barge his way past hapless defenders- very amusing ).

I always prefer to see Argyle play with a big mobile centre forward ( with a nippy co- striker)- I just think it gives the side so many more options- both in attack and defence.

Lowe flirted with the idea of a big centre forward with Frank Nouble- but as others have said, didn’t really work, as he was more of a wide man. I personally hope that a big centre forward ( whether or not that is Ryan Bowman) is high on Ryan’s shopping list during this pre- season.....

I don't know if I'd class Hayles and Ebanks Blake as quick strikers, they were more like stocky scrappers fairly typical of Holloway's team, but otherwise completely agree with this analysis.

We desperately need a powerful striker who can win headers and hold the ball up, not necessarily to play ahead of Ennis/Hardie/Jephcott every week but to give us another option when they're struggling to get in the game.

Ryan Taylor was another good example of this type - someone like him, but without the fitness issues would be ideal.

D

Darren Stoneman

Just a bit of a reality check, Exeter have made it clear this year that they will be spending big, using the pot of Ollie Watkins money to attract the best players with wages to match, the manager is being supported to get the club promoted and as much of the £4m will be used to achieve this.

If this is the case then we may struggle to attract the players we want if they can earn more up the road

We all know that 90% of footballers are mercenaries chasing a wage, so we may have a few struggles ahead and certainly stand no chance of signing Bowman

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Darren Stoneman":11fygl8v said:
Just a bit of a reality check, Exeter have made it clear this year that they will be spending big, using the pot of Ollie Watkins money to attract the best players with wages to match, the manager is being supported to get the club promoted and as much of the £4m will be used to achieve this.

If this is the case then we may struggle to attract the players we want if they can earn more up the road

We all know that 90% of footballers are mercenaries chasing a wage, so we may have a few struggles ahead and certainly stand no chance of signing Bowman

Can't see the bottlers up the road blowing 4m on the chance of promotion within 1 year as that's just not sustainable and could land them in a whole heap of trouble in the years ahead because decent players want more than a 1 year deal. Given their total revenues are probably near the £3 -4m mark (ours are about £6 - 6.5m) they only make money when the sell players on … they are a selling club pure and simple and push through their academy prospects (which is decent tbf) in order to get one or two that they then sell on for biggish money.

At a guess I'd say their average player wage is about 2/3rds to 3/4's what our average wages are given our crowds are approximately 40% higher than what they get, so I'm not worried at all about competing with them wage wise for players that we would want to play in League 1, not League 2.

Oct 10, 2012
Wouldn’t be surprised to see Bowman go to Morecambe. They’ve just appointed his manager from his time at Motherwell

Oct 1, 2013
Railway sleeper":35nyh52y said:
Justin":35nyh52y said:
Knibbsworth":35nyh52y said:

More fun anyway, IMO

"The excellent Sean McCarthy" is a sentence i never expected to read on this forum.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Railway sleeper":dsal7dhn said:
Justin":dsal7dhn said:
Knibbsworth":dsal7dhn said:

More fun anyway, IMO

Watching those clips reminded me how poor that level of football can be.

You don't have to be of a high standard to bag a few goals when defenders regularly have mental meltdowns, and levels of fitness and agility, let alone skill, are consistently poor.

Bowman looks barely National League level to me. Argyle need to be looking at players with the potential to step up to championship football over the next 2 seasons. Ennis has this, Bowman does not.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
I wonder what the comments would have been on Kieffer Moore during his passage through Truro City, Dorchester Town and Yeovil Town. Mick McCarthy took a gamble on him and look at the stage he is on now!

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Justin":1ben3zkk said:
Railway sleeper":1ben3zkk said:
Justin":1ben3zkk said:
Knibbsworth":1ben3zkk said:

More fun anyway, IMO

Watching those clips reminded me how poor that level of football can be.

You don't have to be of a high standard to bag a few goals when defenders regularly have mental meltdowns, and levels of fitness and agility, let alone skill, are consistently poor.

Bowman looks barely National League level to me. Argyle need to be looking at players with the potential to step up to championship football over the next 2 seasons. Ennis has this, Bowman does not.

Totally agree Justin.

I certainly wouldn't be looking at Bowman considering we'd have to pay a transfer fee for a 29 year old. I think our recruitment policy has been clear since Lowe and Dewsnip have come to the club to only spend money on a players when it's someone who would be an asset and have a re-sale value such as younger players like Ennis, George Cooper and Hardie. Bowman doesn't fit that model.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Graham Clark":17szciqw said:
I wonder what the comments would have been on Kieffer Moore during his passage through Truro City, Dorchester Town and Yeovil Town. Mick McCarthy took a gamble on him and look at the stage he is on now!

Kieffer Moore was, what, 22 when he signed for Ipswich Town?

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Graham Clark":15j7po56 said:

I was thinking the same. I'm sure there was much debate about the prospect of Argyle signing Keiffer Moore on PASOTI a few years back (perhaps around the time he joined Barnsley (2018) or Wigan (2019)?). The general consensus was that he was useless, nowhere near the standard required for an Argyle player etc. I certainly don't remember may good things being said about him.