Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":3f1sp8yo said:
ealinggreen":3f1sp8yo said:
Trouble is players like him at Huddersfield are on 15 to 20 grand per week. I cannot imagine a 34yr old like him coming to Plymouth for 3 grand.

The thing is players aren't worth £60k, £40k, £20k a week all of their careers. With the modern emphasis on youth, players in their 30s seem to be less desirable than they used to be. Argyle's strikers are 21 - 23 - with the potential for a big money move if they perform well. The journeyman striker aged 32 having scored 200+ football league goals is not as sought after as in times gone by.

The fact Huddersfield are releasing a player, when they are barely above the relegation zone themselves, suggests that such players are overpaid and possibly not even Championship quality.

If no-one else in the Championship is in the mood to offer a player £20,000 a week then he needs to find an employer that will pay him the most he can get.

He may get £5k - £15k in League One, but if not then he is falling into Argyle's radar. No doubt a few years ago whilst at Charlton, Ben Reeves earned a fair bit more than he does now - and he has just been released for the second time in 12 months by struggling League One clubs.

You had Wes Hoolahan at Cambridge, relatively shortly after playing Premier League football with Norwich.

Such career depreciations do happen.

Charlie Daniels at Portsmouth, Cameron Jerome and Andrew Surman at MK Dons are also good examples. Only difference is Pritchard is only 28, the others are well into their 30's.

Huddersfield paid £11m for Pritchard and are releasing him for free. Shows what happens when Championship teams get to the PL/get relegated from the PL and have money to spend that they aren't used to spending.

Nov 18, 2011
signalspast":6ekapj71 said:
ealinggreen":6ekapj71 said:
Trouble is players like him at Huddersfield are on 15 to 20 grand per week. I cannot imagine a 34yr old like him coming to Plymouth for 3 grand.

Yes agreed but as u said he is now 34 and it would depend if he gets offered another championship club or high paying league 1. At the moment his wages are 0 pounds. Wherever he moves it will be his last move so maybe a two year contract is better than 12 months. Everything would be in laps of gods but do feel he is type of player we need for defence

If he's been careful with his money then he may prefer retiring than uprooting his life and moving down to Plymouth for a year or two for 3 grand a week.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
mervyn":1bd25mm5 said:
The average Championship club loss last year was £11 million, most of that stemming from wages. Divide that by the 15/20 or so players regarded as first teamers and you get a size of the wage differential here.

I think Championship clubs have big squads in of close to 30 players including lots of very average players that are getting paid way too much that their ability deserves a good example of this is Stuart O'Keefe who joined Argyle on loan from Cardiff and was supposedly on around 12k a week. He was very average certainly not what I'd call a championship level footballer. He played 26 matches for Gillingham this season.

I think a lot of out of contract footballers are going to get a real shock this summer, I'd expect most players that have just been released to take a pay cut of at least 25-30% at their new club such is impact of COVID. Clubs just haven't got as much money as they used to so have to be a lot more conservative with their spending. Yes you'll still get the really sought after players that can still command a great weekly wage and transfer fees but your standard L1/2 player just will be told take it or leave it, so I expect many OOC players will bide their time weighing up offers to find that most clubs are following suit unless they are the ones wilth billionaire owners who somehow get around FFP (ala Salford)

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Everton centre-back Matthew Pennington is out of contract this summer, we were interested in signing him in January but instead he went on-loan to Shrewsbury where he played 20 games, including a clean sheet against us. He only scored two goals (or 2 from his last 5 games) and both were headers from corners (remember them?)
He's 26 and Shrewsbury want to offer him a deal.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
PL2 3DQ":3megz8c8 said:
Everton centre-back Matthew Pennington is out of contract this summer, we were interested in signing him in January but instead he went on-loan to Shrewsbury where he played 20 games, including a clean sheet against us. He only scored two goals (or 2 from his last 5 games) and both were headers from corners (remember them?)

I liked the look of this guy back In January but clocked the fact he comes from the NW in Warrington and I do wonder whether he would head SW when he could continue to live and play locally.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Would be a great signing but 66 miles or 276 miles from home, an 85 minute drive or a 5 hour drive? We would have to offer more than Shrewsbury to tempt him for sure.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
PL2 3DQ":22cmnihf said:

One word. Gazump.

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
Heard via the grapevine that we, along with Sunderland, are interested in Bristol City's Zac Smith, who is being released at the end of the season.

Young midfielder, who I assume is linked with Sunderland because of ex-Bristol City manager Lee Johnson?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Not one single defender linked or rumoured yet.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
JannerinCardiff":359wcmi8 said:
PL2 3DQ":359wcmi8 said:

One word. Gazump.

Gary Ump?? who does he play for? :think:

(There you go PL2 3DQ - there's your named defender rumour!! :scarf: )

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
jerryatricjanner":1k62drqo said:
Would be a great signing but 66 miles or 276 miles from home, an 85 minute drive or a 5 hour drive? We would have to offer more than Shrewsbury to tempt him for sure.

Reasons Pennington should come to Argyle rather than Shrewsbury;-

1. We should be able to offer a better wage
2. We should on paper be a better team and certainly more ambitious next season than Shrewsbury - Lowe has said he wants to be challenging in the top half of the table next season. - which is better to play in a team than wins more mentally and also financially to a player with win bonusses
3. We will have around double the average crowd that Shrewsbury do next season and far better stadium and possibly training facilities than Shrewsbury - how great would it be to play in front of 18-20k for big matches next season - and there are a fair few of them.
4. Being from the North West of England he'll hopefully be able to understand our manager's accent
5. Plymouth is nicer than Shrewsbury
6. Could be best friends with Conor Grant as they are the same age and were at Everton from 18 year olds.
7 The famous Green Army to support you on your travels

Jul 28, 2020
Not a rumour- just a suggestion.As an occasional visitor to SJP (confession time ;) I always liked the look of Jordan Moore- Taylor (JMT in city-speak).

I was surprised we never went in for him- JMT was a closely guarded secret amongst city fans. There was a lot of unhappiness (slight understatement there :furious: )when he joined Tisdale at MKD for FREE ( c/o the small print in his city contract). Now the former City skipper is at Forest Green.

Left footed, an excellent marker (one time i saw him successfully mark up John Akinde), sensibly aggressive, can also play left back, as well as being very effective in defensive midfield.

I know he has had injury issues, since leaving City- but provided he is fully recovered, then I think he'd be an excellent signing...IF he could be persuaded to pull on the green shirt....

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Railway sleeper":t8zkfvro said:
Not a rumour- just a suggestion.As an occasional visitor to SJP (confession time ;) I always liked the look of Jordan Moore- Taylor (JMT in city-speak).

I was surprised we never went in for him- JMT was a closely guarded secret amongst city fans. There was a lot of unhappiness (slight understatement there :furious: )when he joined Tisdale at MKD for FREE ( c/o the small print in his city contract). Now the former City skipper is at Forest Green.

Left footed, an excellent marker (one time i saw him successfully mark up John Akinde), sensibly aggressive, can also play left back, as well as being very effective in defensive midfield.

I know he has had injury issues, since leaving City- but provided he is fully recovered, then I think he'd be an excellent signing...IF he could be persuaded to pull on the green shirt....

Talking of the in-breds up the road - I really like Matt Jay - a very good technical player with fantastic goals and assists figures last season- think he's still in contract tho and would cost a fair bit.