Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Keyham Pilgrim":1qt7w11x said:
I see James Wilson has just been released by Ipswich. Experienced Centre back who has won a few honours during his career and originally from Bristol. Also just won Ipswich supporters player of the year even though only played half of season due to an injury. Just thought it might be a player we could be interested in.

32 and 6ft 3. Played most of his career at the top end of league 1. Also had a Welsh cap.

Experienced, started nearly every match for Ipswich until March and clearly still playing decent football having just won Ipswich’s player of the year even tho only playing half a season.. Looking at the view from Ipswich town fans that he's a really good player and was one of their first names on the team sheet but has been struggling with injuries towards the end of the season.

Started in Bristol Citys Youth set up so might have roots in the Bristol region so fair chance he’d come back to the South West. If he could prove his fitness I'd want James Wilson for sure. Exactly the sort of player to sort out our defensive problems. But needs to be fit. One to keep an eye on.

P

Paranoid Android

JannerinCardiff":b6t8lrks said:
Paranoid Android":b6t8lrks said:
JannerinCardiff":b6t8lrks said:
RKB":b6t8lrks said:
I know Mullin has just scored 32 but his track record prior to this season is average, to say the least. We need at least 1 striker who has a proven track record of finding the net in League 1. Someone like Danny Hylton would be perfect.

Great shout. Would love Danny Hylton :thumbup:

Isn’t he 45 or something

He’s 32.

Yeh exaggerating for effect. :roll: He looks 45 on the pitch tho, maybe not mobile enough for our system when the strikers spend a lot of time pressing the full backs. He’s got pedigree tho.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
ealinggreen":21tyr509 said:
His wages would be huge, no chance.

If you mean Pritchard from 1st July his wages will currently be zero.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
JannerinCardiff":1zbxriii said:
ealinggreen":1zbxriii said:

If you mean Pritchard from 1st July his wages will currently be zero. But I take your point he’s probably too good for us - Bristol City are keen apparently so that’s probably us out of the running

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Knibbsworth":29dm3hsa said:
JannerinCardiff":29dm3hsa said:
ealinggreen":29dm3hsa said:

If you mean Pritchard from 1st July his wages will currently be zero.

So will Sergio Aguero. Perhaps worth a cheeky offer?

Why not think even bigger. Messi has said his next contract is not about the money so why not dream big and put in an offer :greensmile:

Aug 17, 2005
Not a rumour but as huddersdield names being bandied about I would say Richard Stearman. At 33 could be of an age to be the experienced central defender we need.

Nov 2, 2004
Trouble is players like him at Huddersfield are on 15 to 20 grand per week. I cannot imagine a 34yr old like him coming to Plymouth for 3 grand.

Aug 17, 2005
ealinggreen":3b7dao0b said:
Trouble is players like him at Huddersfield are on 15 to 20 grand per week. I cannot imagine a 34yr old like him coming to Plymouth for 3 grand.

Yes agreed but as u said he is now 34 and it would depend if he gets offered another championship club or high paying league 1. At the moment his wages are 0 pounds. Wherever he moves it will be his last move so maybe a two year contract is better than 12 months. Everything would be in laps of gods but do feel he is type of player we need for defence

Dec 29, 2011
Yes as previous poster touched on trying to sign championship players,unless the player wants to come for purely footballing reasons we will be struggling.I was reading an article yesterday where Richard Keogh formerly of Derby County is likely to be paid over £2 million pounds in compensation for having his contract ended for discilplinary reasons(drunk in the back of a car being driven by 2 other Derby players which crashed .This shows just what some championship players must be earning .

Aug 5, 2016
ealinggreen":3ucex58o said:

The thing is players aren't worth £60k, £40k, £20k a week all of their careers. With the modern emphasis on youth, players in their 30s seem to be less desirable than they used to be. Argyle's strikers are 21 - 23 - with the potential for a big money move if they perform well. The journeyman striker aged 32 having scored 200+ football league goals is not as sought after as in times gone by.

The fact Huddersfield are releasing a player, when they are barely above the relegation zone themselves, suggests that such players are overpaid and possibly not even Championship quality.

If no-one else in the Championship is in the mood to offer a player £20,000 a week then he needs to find an employer that will pay him the most he can get.

He may get £5k - £15k in League One, but if not then he is falling into Argyle's radar. No doubt a few years ago whilst at Charlton, Ben Reeves earned a fair bit more than he does now - and he has just been released for the second time in 12 months by struggling League One clubs.

You had Wes Hoolahan at Cambridge, relatively shortly after playing Premier League football with Norwich.

Such career depreciations do happen.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Depending on family etc, some of those guys who have earned Championship wages may consider a last pre-retirement stint at Argyle more palatable than someone who has been picking up 2-4k a week over the course of their career. Depending on their agent, money is probably less important to them at this stage of their career if they have saved and invested well whilst earning the big bucks.