• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

JannerinCardiff

Pasoti Donor
Jul 16, 2018
Knibbsworth":28mu6uj1 said:
Nobby":28mu6uj1 said:
jimsing":28mu6uj1 said:

I know he's scored a ton of goals, but in the context of his career this season has been a total anomaly. Hasn't been prolific anywhere else. Does make you wonder if it's a case of player and club fitting perfectly, rather than him suddenly becoming a prolific striker at the age of 26. I'd be wary of this one, personally. I do think we need a more experienced striker though to compliment the younger lads.

You don’t want a striker who has just scored 32 goals in 46 games?

Actually 32 goals in only 45 league starts.

He’s a Liverpudlian so that might help our cause somewhat...

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
JannerinCardiff":6z1q42tv said:
Knibbsworth":6z1q42tv said:
Nobby":6z1q42tv said:
jimsing":6z1q42tv said:

I know he's scored a ton of goals, but in the context of his career this season has been a total anomaly. Hasn't been prolific anywhere else. Does make you wonder if it's a case of player and club fitting perfectly, rather than him suddenly becoming a prolific striker at the age of 26. I'd be wary of this one, personally. I do think we need a more experienced striker though to compliment the younger lads.

He’s only scored 40 in 196 games before that. This is the only time he’s scored more than 10 in a season and the last time he played in League One he managed 3 in 20 games.

I’m not saying I wouldn’t take him, I’m saying I’d be wary because it seems until he went to Cambridge he was bang average, hence my suspicion it might be the a case of the player being a perfect fit for the club he’s at.

JannerinCardiff

Pasoti Donor
Jul 16, 2018
Nobby":agitbxzs said:
JannerinCardiff":agitbxzs said:
Knibbsworth":agitbxzs said:
Nobby":agitbxzs said:
jimsing":agitbxzs said:

He’s only scored 40 in 196 games before that. This is the only time he’s scored more than 10 in a season and the last time he played in League One he managed 3 in 20 games.

I’m not saying I wouldn’t take him, I’m saying I’d be wary because it seems until he went to Cambridge he was bang average, hence my suspicion it might be the a case of the player being a perfect fit for the club he’s at.

Anyone know what style and formation Cambridge have played this season ? Might be a factor in why Mullin has been so prolific this season that it suits his own style.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
JannerinCardiff":3jhfzxns said:
Nobby":3jhfzxns said:
JannerinCardiff":3jhfzxns said:
Knibbsworth":3jhfzxns said:
Nobby":3jhfzxns said:
jimsing":3jhfzxns said:

Anyone know what style and formation Cambridge have played this season ? Might be a factor in why Mullin has been so prolific this season that it suits his own style.

I recall their manager Shaun Derry as a very industrious, neat midfielder for Leeds, QPR and Palace. I am sure he will have moved the club's tactics forward from the very long ball game that John Beck brought to the club years ago.

JannerinCardiff

Pasoti Donor
Jul 16, 2018
I see Wes Hoolahan is out of contract at Cambridge - worth offering a contradct to - he ooozes class and I dare say would team up well with Mullin should we get him too.

jerryatricjanner

Lowey Sponsor
Apr 22, 2006
JannerinCardiff":2hbpqdsl said:
I see Wes Hoolahan is out of contract at Cambridge - worth offering a contradct to - he ooozes class and I dare say would team up well with Mullin should we get him too.
Hoolahan is 39 this month but having said that he was shortlisted for League 2 player of the season. There is experience needed but this might stretch it just a bit far I feel. Coppinger made it to 40 in League 1 so it's not impossible.

The Doctor

Lowey Sponsor
NHS Cake Donor
T.O Support
Sep 15, 2003
jerryatricjanner":vbyytzcg said:
JannerinCardiff":vbyytzcg said:
Hoolahan is 39 this month but having said that he was shortlisted for League 2 player of the season. There is experience needed but this might stretch it just a bit far I feel. Coppinger made it to 40 in League 1 so it's not impossible.

This is a great example of how Plymouth's location works against Argyle. Wes Hoolahan had a long and very successful career at Norwich City (ten years) and although he spent a couple of years elsewhere after he finished playing there (West Brom and Newcastle, Australia) I would guess he has very strong links with the East Anglia area. I am sure that's the primary reason that he ended up playing at Cambridge this year. There are no other (better) league clubs anywhere near Plymouth and so no players looking for a club close to home that they could play out a season or two before retiring.

Dec 20, 2005
Not a rumour, at least not yet, but Jack Stephens has bought a house (and promptly knocked it down and rebuilt) just up the road from my parents on Whitsand Bay.....

Pogleswoody

Kate Sponsor
Lowey Sponsor
Pun Master
50/50 Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
NHS Cake Donor
T.O Support
Foodbank Donor
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
ping_g5":1hm4n0p0 said:
Not a rumour, at least not yet, but Jack Stephens has bought a house (and promptly knocked it down and rebuilt) just up the road from my parents on Whitsand Bay.....

Well it's not a rumour cos you say he has done it. Could be a retirement home tho'!! ;)

Jun 27, 2019
ping_g5":n9mtehyl said:

I bet we couldn't even afford the house he's about to build there, never mind Jack himself.