Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Do agree with all that, Merv. But a 21 year-old from Manchester probably isn't that demographic of looking to settle down and bring up kids, and would want to be near friends and family also.

Just playing devil's advocate, I think it's a great place to be regardless.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Do agree with all that, Merv. But a 21 year-old from Manchester probably isn't that demographic of looking to settle down and bring up kids, and would want to be near friends and family also.

Just playing devil's advocate, I think it's a great place to be regardless.
What, Chudleigh? Well I suppose you do get the thrill of seeing Lord Belborough riding on the footplate there and back again every day.

May 8, 2011
There is a reason Devon is the most moved into county in the UK. It’s a fabulous location to work and raise a family. When I moved to Chudleigh in 1983 all our neighbours were Devonian. Kids at our local school thought my children’s funny accents were Australian! Nearly forty years on most Chudleigh residents are non-Devonian, and the population has nearly tripled.

Offer footballers the right working surroundings, wages and opportunity to advance their career, then I believe we have big locational advantages over our rivals, as we have just proved beating Pompey to Miller’s signing.
How many of the people relocating to Devon are in their early 20s with a 2 or 3 year fixed term contract with their new employer and have little scope of a further contract with another employer in commuting distance in their preferred profession.

Reactions: Superguy
Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
Plymouth is a great area to live. Beaches within 30 minutes either direction. The moors to the north of the city.
The city itself has great restaurants and bars. And the jewel is the Hoe and Barbican areas in my opinion.
Plymouthians tend to do everything down. When friends from London and Liverpool visit they want to move here they love it so much.
Whilst not perfect, every city has issues, I do feel Plymouth should be proud of itself and so should us Janners.

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
There are many factors to consider when you are offered a job and relocating is just one of them.
If the offer is sufficiently attractive, relocating becomes less important - just imagine if we were in the Prem. It was similar when we were doing well in the Championship.
Reduce the appeal (pay a similar salary, play an average style, have limited chance of success) and location becomes more of a consideration.

Dec 30, 2020
There are many factors to consider when you are offered a job and relocating is just one of them.
If the offer is sufficiently attractive, relocating becomes less important - just imagine if we were in the Prem. It was similar when we were doing well in the Championship.
Reduce the appeal (pay a similar salary, play an average style, have limited chance of success) and location becomes more of a consideration.

Exactly, it's like any job - pay will probably be the most important consideration followed by things like the people you work with, opportunities for career progression (so facilities and the sense of being a club on the up) and location.

We aren't going to move Plymouth so just have to make other aspects of the offer as attractive as possible. Footballers, who have a short career, operate from contract-to-contract and accept that some element of moving around is going to be part of the job are probably more amenable to relocating than most.

I've always thought the location thing was a bit overdone, and that the disadvantage in terms of recruitment is more than offset by the benefits of such a huge catchment area for supporters and youth players.

Last edited:
Reactions: tonycrowuk

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Location is always the excuse, managers and fans spout it out but location is a problem wherever you are.
People say well we don't have a motorway!
And?
We have the A38, that accepts cars too I believe!
Ok, well we don't have an airport!
Well, yes we do but just not in use at the moment, I refer you to point A.
Players come here regardless of age and circumstances, from far and wide, it's just a question of choosing which club they wish to go to, maybe it's money but it's probably hardly ever because of where we are.

May 13, 2022
Exactly, it's like any job - pay will probably be the most important consideration followed by things like the people you work with, opportunities for career progression (so facilities and the sense of being a club on the up) and location.

We aren't going to move Plymouth so just have to make other aspects of the offer as attractive as possible. Footballers, who have a short career, operate from contract-to-contract and probably accept that some element of moving around is going to be part of the job are probably more amenable to relocating than most.

I've always thought the location thing was a bit overdone, and that the disadvantage in terms of recruitment is more than offset by the benefits of such a huge catchment area for supporters and youth players.
I've always thought the same. Players sign for clubs all over the place – even in different countries (not so much English players, I grant you). If teams can attract players to move overseas, why can't we attract players of the right calibre to Plymouth?

Also, kids up sticks and get themselves into debt in order to study at the right uni, or even the one uni that will actually take them given their grades. Why can't we persuade young players to move to a different part of the country to be paid handsomely to do what they love and put themselves in the shop window for career progression?

I suppose it's a bit of a stages of life thing too. It's easier for a guy in his early 20s to leave home to play for a decent team with decent facilities, even if it is miles away, than it is for a pro in their late 20s/early 30s who has a family and has set down roots in a particular part of the country. In either case the proposition on the table has to be life-enhancing, maybe even life-changing to make a big move.

I left Plymouth to study in my early 20s, always with the intention of returning. Here I am decades later with a wife, whose family are on the doorstep, and kids who are settled in school and friends who live on their road. Sometimes, I long to be back in Plymouth – bleddy love the place and often question why I left and never returned. Post lockdown, I could probably persuade my employer that I could work from 'ome in Devon just as well as can work from home where I am now. There would be little or no change in income, but I could afford a bigger, nicer house in a much nicer part of the country.

A no-brainer for some, but the crux is … this is my wife and kids home. They're settled and love life where they live … near family and friends.

Translate that to a footballing scenario. I'm young and ambitious with nothing too much to tie me to one spot … "Thank you, Argyle, for the opportunity – take me, I'm yours!" (Until someone bigger and richer comes along.) I'm longer in the tooth with family who are happy and settled – "Thank you, Argyle, for the opportunity – Plymouth's a lovely place and the club has a great reputation with wonderful fans, but it's not home, and I have no friends and family down there, you're really going to have to make this worth my while!"

Just remember, we're all individuals with different priorities, ambitions and needs. One man's Plymouth cup of tea is another poor exiled, entrapped or deluded man's poison!? :(

Reactions: greenpig27
Sep 2, 2008
I've always thought the same. Players sign for clubs all over the place – even in different countries (not so much English players, I grant you). If teams can attract players to move overseas, why can't we attract players of the right calibre to Plymouth?
Players always follow the money. To some extent, managers and staff are the same. If Argyle paid significantly more than other clubs then players would come here.

It’s known that a footballers career is short and so they will always aim to make as much as they can while they can. If that means leaving the wife and kids for half the week then so be it.

The only other time we will attract players is when they have an injury record as long as their arm and they don’t have any other serious offers on the table.

Jerry Maguire is spot on.

May 13, 2022
Players always follow the money. To some extent, managers and staff are the same. If Argyle paid significantly more than other clubs then players would come here.

It’s known that a footballers career is short and so they will always aim to make as much as they can while they can. If that means leaving the wife and kids for half the week then so be it.

The only other time we will attract players is when they have an injury record as long as their arm and they don’t have any other serious offers on the table.

Jerry Maguire is spot on.
I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you. Money talks and more often than not I'm sure it's the key motivator, but when presented with a like for like financial scenario, surely other factors, such as location, family ties, potential for silverware, facilities, style of play, club ethos, sense of fraternity… must come into play. No?

Sep 2, 2008
I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you. Money talks and more often than not I'm sure it's the key motivator, but when presented with a like for like financial scenario, surely other factors, such as location, family ties, potential for silverware, facilities, style of play, club ethos, sense of fraternity… must come into play. No?
No indeed.

If we are in a like for like financial scenario then just these two and thats only if the player is in a meaningful relationship. As we are in a footballing outpost we will invariably lose out even if we are matching dollar and T&C's.

Point in case; Ben Purrington. Dewsnip has said that he was featuring in recruitment conversations and so was on our radar and yet he chooses to go to Ross County 🤷‍♂️

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
No indeed.

If we are in a like for like financial scenario then just these two and thats only if the player is in a meaningful relationship. As we are in a footballing outpost we will invariably lose out even if we are matching dollar and T&C's.

Point in case; Ben Purrington. Dewsnip has said that he was featuring in recruitment conversations and so was on our radar and yet he chooses to go to Ross County 🤷‍♂️
What if we decided to go for Mikel Miller instead? Having conversations and being on our radar doesn’t mean we’ve offered him anything. Just that he’s an option.

May 13, 2022
No indeed.

When you say that Neil Dewsnip said that Ben Purrington was featuring in recruitment conversations, did he say that the conversations were actually between the club and Ben, or the recruiting team chatted about getting Ben in?

May 13, 2022
What if we decided to go for Mikel Miller instead? Having conversations and being on our radar doesn’t mean we’ve offered him anything. Just that he’s an option.
Are you talking about the quote from below from Plymouth Live?

Dewsnip said: "I believe he is available. He is a name that we have discussed but nothing more than that to add."

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
No indeed.

I don’t believe we offered Purrington a contract. Maybe Ross County offered him a guaranteed place in the starting XI which we couldn’t.

Reactions: Nelson Norris