Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Plymouth City Council’s leader has given the strongest indication yet that the authority is hoping to purchase the airport site. Plymouth City Airport has been derelict for nearly 11 years, but there are hopes to bring it back.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
The downside with the airport is having a fudging great hospital right next door to it...and not having long enough runways of course.

The biggest thing that could ever operate from Roborough would be the Dash 8 with a 50 seat capacity. They're also pretty quiet so they wouldn't upset the neighbours too much.

There would never, in a billion years, be a jet operated from Plymouth.

Would they fly to Heathrow or Gatwick? Surely that is pretty much the reason why the whole thing went t*ts up 11 years ago. The landing fees for those two would be astronomical and therefore, unless every seat was sold at a premium, those two airports wouldn't be viable. That would leave Luton, Southend or possibly London City.

Reactions: Bernie Bernbaum

Steamer

✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
I think there should be a different agenda here. The airport site is one of the flattest areas of the city which can house ... well, an airport. I would think that airports of the future will not be like airports of the past, long runways with polluting and noisy planes. In the future there will likely be heli-planes, short or vertical take-off etc. My view is that this site should be future proofed for air travel over the next hundred years. Or shall we cut off Plymouth from the big wide world even more ...

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
I think there should be a different agenda here. The airport site is one of the flattest areas of the city which can house ... well, an airport. I would think that airports of the future will not be like airports of the past, long runways with polluting and noisy planes. In the future there will likely be heli-planes, short or vertical take-off etc. My view is that this site should be future proofed for air travel over the next hundred years. Or shall we cut off Plymouth from the big wide world even more ...
Quieter electric planes too Steamy?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
We are only 40 miles from a major airport, I’m sure the people of Brighton and Sheffield and many other places don’t fret about not having an airport in the middle of a residential area.
Sheffield is 19 miles from Doncaster Sheffield Airport with transport links.
Brighton is 27 miles from Gatwick and 7 miles from Shoreham Brighton Airport.
I'd settle for that rather than having to get to Exeter on a non motorway road and a slow sea flooded railway.

May 16, 2016
Wasn't there plans a few years ago to extend the runway ? I was told by an aviation boffin that with the extension, they could have flown some form of smaller jet. I've no idea if it would have been commercially viable - range/ capacity etc.

I was also told (by more than one person) that the airport was deliberately run down and allowed to wither to strengthen the case for redevelopment. Also, interest was shown from the operators of Southend Airport but their enquiry wasn't met with sufficient or genuine desire to keep it open. How much of that was sour grapes or insider info I'm not sure.

It would have been interesting to see how things would be now if one of the original sites suggested was picked instead of Roborough, apparently a site in the Saltalsh area was mooted many years ago.

I've flown to Glasgow many times and we've also used it as an alternative to driving to and parking at Gatwick for long haul holidays. What we need now is better transport links to Exeter. There's no direct public transport route there from Plymouth.

Steamer

✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
So, I live in mid-Essex. I have international airports all around us ... Heathrow, Gatwick, Stanstead, Southend, Luton, London City, then there are numerous aerodromes which cater for small planes, flying lessons etc then we have a couple of RAF bases not so far away. Driving to Heathrow at rush hour is a pain but at night, all of them within an hours drive.
Then we have Plymouth ... 40 miles from a motorway, single train line which regularly gets closed for one reason or another and a grass field with a bit of tarmac called Plymouth airport. That is utterly crap for a city with aspirations, the biggest city south of London, a regional centre. Sometimes its not about financial viability but to future proof a take off and landing strip into the future. Once the grass field is gone ... that's it... no airfield ever again ... one more door to the world closed ...
And just for curiosity, which aerodrome do recreational fliers use? or aren't there any in the Plymouth area.