Plymouth airport | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Plymouth airport

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Wasn't there plans a few years ago to extend the runway ? I was told by an aviation boffin that with the extension, they could have flown some form of smaller jet. I've no idea if it would have been commercially viable - range/ capacity etc.

Also, interest was shown from the operators of Southend Airport but their enquiry wasn't met with sufficient or genuine desire to keep it open. How much of that was sour grapes or insider info I'm not sure.

It would have been interesting to see how things would be now if one of the original sites suggested was picked instead of Roborough, apparently a site in the Saltalsh area was mooted many years ago.

I've flown to Glasgow many times and we've also used it as an alternative to driving to and parking at Gatwick for long haul holidays. What we need now is better transport links to Exeter. There's no direct public transport route there from Plymouth.

I heard that too.

Aug 5, 2015
Yes, recently highlighted by the medivac of a prem baby from Cyprus. Flew to Exeter then taken by road to Plymouth! Makes us look like mugs.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
I heard that too.
The idea was mooted but the obvious objections came from Derriford Hospital. The jets would have been the HS125, a small 4 engine jet. They are relatively quiet, in the grand scheme of things and were the original jets used at London City airport. Can’t remember the capacity, somewhere around 60/70.

There was nothing wrong with the De Havilland Dash 8. Quiet, efficient and a 50 seater. It needed to be used continually, and full, to be a viable proposition. It was, for years, and then the landing fees at Heathrow and Gatwick became too expensive.

I fear that Plymouth will now, never have an airport. There are far too many NIMBYs and environmental objectors.

Plymouth and Cornwall will always have the risk of being “cut off” when storms hit Dawlish until such time as the old Southern Region rail line through Tavistock is reinstated. There are, of course, not only objections to the line but also the added problem of houses being built on the trackbed.

I read a transcript from The House of Lords a few days back. It was an exchange over Plymouth City acquiring the old RAF station at Harrowbeer (Yelverton). It would have been perfect but lost because Dartmoor National Park would have lost something like 20 acres of land, out of 2,500 square miles (or thereabouts).

May 8, 2011
The idea was mooted but the obvious objections came from Derriford Hospital. The jets would have been the HS125, a small 4 engine jet. They are relatively quiet, in the grand scheme of things and were the original jets used at London City airport. Can’t remember the capacity, somewhere around 60/70.

There was nothing wrong with the De Havilland Dash 8. Quiet, efficient and a 50 seater. It needed to be used continually, and full, to be a viable proposition. It was, for years, and then the landing fees at Heathrow and Gatwick became too expensive.

I fear that Plymouth will now, never have an airport. There are far too many NIMBYs and environmental objectors.

Plymouth and Cornwall will always have the risk of being “cut off” when storms hit Dawlish until such time as the old Southern Region rail line through Tavistock is reinstated. There are, of course, not only objections to the line but also the added problem of houses being built on the trackbed.

I read a transcript from The House of Lords a few days back. It was an exchange over Plymouth City acquiring the old RAF station at Harrowbeer (Yelverton). It would have been perfect but lost because Dartmoor National Park would have lost something like 20 acres of land, out of 2,500 square miles (or thereabouts).
I must be a NIMBY as I don’t see the need to have an airport in the middle of a built up area especially when there is one less than an hour away.
People in London seem to manage with airports being an hour away.
Even when Brymon and Air SW flew from Roborough I always chose Flybe from Exeter as they were so much cheaper and flew to more destinations.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
I must be a NIMBY as I don’t see the need to have an airport in the middle of a built up area especially when there is one less than an hour away.
People in London seem to manage with airports being an hour away.
Even when Brymon and Air SW flew from Roborough I always chose Flybe from Exeter as they were so much cheaper and flew to more destinations.
It may have escaped your thinking but “people in London “ also have very, very good road and rail links. Something that Plymouth is truly lacking.

Sep 3, 2009
It may have escaped your thinking but “people in London “ also have very, very good road and rail links. Something that Plymouth is truly lacking.
I live in London and I'd rather take the drive from Exeter Airport to Plymouth than from my house to Heathrow or Gatwick any day of the week...