Peter Jones RIP | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Peter Jones RIP

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
I am really shocked by this news. I only spoke to him a few weeks ago. He made a remarkable recovery from a serious illness that was testament to his courage and determination to overcome. Peter was as passionate about Argyle and the City as any person I have known and his contribution to both is immeasurable. Great company, great wit and a great story teller if not a touch mischievous. The part he played in saving Argyle was often under estimated. A man of principle when it was not always the popular view. RIP Peter you will be greatly missed.

Sep 26, 2009
SHERBORNE
Very sad news. Occasionally chatted to Peter on train from Axminster on way to Argyle. Always loved talking football and green thru and thru.
RIP Peter

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Another shock and another good man taken far too early. Earlier in the year, via IJN, I made vontact with Peter. I reminded him that he and the Board had helped entertain former Argyle captain Len Casey at Southend on the opening day of 2013-14. I knew from subsequent contact with both men that they had got along famously. So when Len, now a widower, turned 90 early this year I asked if Peter could phone him on the day. He agreed immediately and I know from speaking to Len's family that they had a long conversation and also that Peter made subsequent contact to ensure Len was okay. I can only echo the things said by others - lovely man, Argyle through and through and a very clever, sharp-witted man. RIP Peter

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
My last memory of Peter is as a happy member of our group at Lime Street Station pub ( The North Western?) that joyous Sunday afternoon, 8/1/2017, enjoying a celebratory drink and purring & smiling like the rest of us. RIP Peter, Green through & through.

Reactions: Colin Randall

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Peter was the only Director of Argyle who I could ever claim to have 'known' - he called on my role as an (academic) marine scientist at the time he was pushing through the 'Britain's Ocean City' branding. I remember being called up to the club to have a chat with him one day, ostensibly because I had complained about the seats being covered in pigeon mess after the summer break, only to find that the 'real' reason was to discuss the use of the word 'ocean' rather than 'marine' in the proposed branding. I did get a quick tour of the changing rooms and tunnel area and a chance to sit on the bench and Peter did ensure that the seats were properly cleaned up (he was pretty appalled when I showed him what they were like along the back row of the horseshoe after a summer of undisturbed pooping), but he won the argument (he was never going to lose it) and the city became the 'Ocean City' rather than my preference of 'Marine City'. Later I wrote some words for him that he and others in the city hierarchy used to counter complaints that the water in Plymouth Sound can't be described as 'ocean'. One thing that always surprised me was that when the Ocean City branding was brought in nobody EVER properly explained it - Peter had very strong and clear reasons for the use of the 'ocean' moniker which made total sense but I have never seen or heard those reasons properly outlined (basically the word 'ocean' doesn't simply describe a large body of water, it also conjures up a picture of immense power, vast scale, global impact etc.).

Anyway, I know that some people hated Peter's involvement with the club but I always got the impression that he served as a Director because he cared deeply about the club and the city and I am sure that he was a useful steadying hand when James Brent took the reins.

RIP Peter.

Jan 20, 2004
Very sad news. He and Nick Warren were the two members of the board, down to earth Argyle fans of the Sturrock era, who would join us in the pubs and on the terraces on away days. Many memories.

RIP Pilgrim.

nikkk

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 8, 2011
A real shock. RIP Pilgrim. As has been said a wonderful raconteur and I recall a brilliant evening with Peter, IJN and Chris Webb a few years back at Dinner By Heston. Lovely company and he certainly knew his wines !

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Very sad news. As has been said by others he was passionate about Argyle and Plymouth. RIP Peter. Thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Lesmin

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 14, 2011