Peter Jones RIP | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Peter Jones RIP

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
We had a few run ins, he was fiercely bright and fiercely Argyle and was a truly wonderful raconteur. After a few red wines he was hilariously funny with an impish sense of humour. A great impressionist as well which was again very impish. His ‘Bleddy Argyle’ was spot on!

When we had one of long ‘debates’ regarding the darkness of the green, which he was responsible for, he told me with that cheeky grin of his ‘I am registered colour blind you know’ :ROFLMAO:

Ad astra Pilgrim. I’ll miss you Pete, so will many others I reckon.

A good posh bloke is how I’ll remember him.

An Argyle fan to his core.

Tony Pastyman

♣️ Senior Greens
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 1, 2008
Very sad news, passionate about his club and a great friend of the late Michael Foot.

Jun 27, 2019
That is such sad news. I hadn't seen Peter for a while but always enjoyed any time I spent with him - either drinking in London or travelling to games together.

I remember when he was on the Board and we were travelling somewhere up north for a game. Argyle were trying to sign Julian Allsopp - the massive Cheltenham Town striker - with Peter the driving force behind the deal. Myself and my mates had got wind about this but didn't let on to Peter that we knew. He spent almost the entire journey subtly singing Allsopp's praises, while we pretended to be oblivious to his motives but made sure he knew what a terrible player we thought he was! Suffice to say the deal didn't happen.

RIP Peter, a true Green and a lovely man 😞

Seems like only yesterday that I bumped into Peter in Waitrose, Sidmouth ( think he had a home in the Beer, Branscombe area.) A very friendly chap with a sharp brain and encyclopedic knowledge of all things Green. RIP.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Oh no, I can't believe this.
I got to know Peter through the Contingency Group, he was a great story teller and we would have occasional conversations about Argyle, the last being a long chat over the phone in August.

He was deeply passionate about Argyle and the city.
A great loss to the club.
RIP.

I'm shocked. Poor Peter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Belfast Green

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
When he rejoined the board under James Brent I was vocal on here about one of the old guard being allowed to return.

I met him once, he was drinking in the Tiverton Town club bar with IJN. He was very gracious about my criticism. Never doubted his love of Argyle.

RIP Peter.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
What terrible news, I am in shock :-(
Remember many a time during London away days where Peter would be in the pre-match/post-match pubs and as IJN says, he was an engaging listen as well as an excellent listener; articulate and very smart.

He also helped my late-father out in regards to Plymouth history, in particular the Portland Air Raid Shelter in WW2.

RIP Peter.

Reactions: Belfast Green
I was very lucky to get to know Peter at games over many years. He was very supportive of the Argyle Archive and arranged some great donations to PAHA and the AFT.

Peter was always so generous with his time and I particularly remember spending an entertaining evening talking all things Argyle when we met to talk about the Argyle shirt project I am working on. A few questions on Argyle shirts turned to a full hour of Argyle stories including a few "not for publication".

He was a great and very funny story teller, and also very candid. Above all Peter was a great communicator and advocate for Argyle and the City of Plymouth.

He always wanted both Argyle and the City to be the best they could be. He'll be greatly missed and a great loss for Argyle and Plymouth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emu and IJN

Keith Whitfield

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 30, 2015
So sad and so unexpected. Peter was a passionate Pilgrim and a passionate Plymouthian. Shared many a conversation with him and can't remember any "run-ins". He regularly exhorted those he conversed with to follow his example and become more involved, despite their typical responses of being happy to be anonymous foot-soldiers in the Green Army. You never left his company without a sense of guilt, though!

Peter will be sorely missed. I'll raise a glass of his favourite tipple this evening. RIP fellow-Pilgrim, fellow-Plymouthian and friend. You have done far more for your team and your city than you ever knew.