Papa Johns Trophy | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Papa Johns Trophy

Jul 27, 2021
Interesting , should Argyle do the same against Arsenal u21?

Play the U18s and take the 5k fine , all for less than a senior players weekly wage.

Ok by me , reducing the risk of losing a player through injury.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
You'll probably find out that Lowey will find out more from his fringe players after such games than he would in 2 months of training sessions.

It's a truly gormless competition but could prove invaluable from that angle.

Jun 27, 2021
Happy to carry on as he has been doing, using it as a reserve tournament.. pretty much all it is no matter how much they try to sell it through social media etc

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I certainly wouldn’t want to throw away £5k, I say we play the minimum players around the first team and fill the rest of the 11 with academy players. Some players like Law, Randell and Burton need game time anyway in case they are called upon for 1st team action.

Oct 31, 2015
Agreed. I don't think we need to spend £5k on fines but using it to prove the Youth and fringe players is the right thing to do. I'm not interested in it from a spectator/fan perspective but it's a good reserve/youth team run out.

Jul 27, 2021
You'll probably find out that Lowey will find out more from his fringe players after such games than he would in 2 months of training sessions.

It's a truly gormless competition but could prove invaluable from that angle.
Sort of agree , but my point is wrt the 4 compulsory first team players

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
They’d never play football again I’d imagine.

The suits would ban them.

Jan 11, 2016
So are EFL clubs contractually obliged to participate in any competition that the EFL decide will take place following the conditions laid down by the EFL on team composition etc or could a team just decide not to enter. A long time ago Brighton forgot to enter the FA Cup and when the error was noted belatedly they had to go through qualifying rounds although they were a League club at the time. Do clubs still have to apply to play in the FA Cup by a certain date?

Heathrow Green

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 12, 2011
An airport just outside London
Didn't Man U not play the FA cup a few years back, they were taking part in the world club cup or something like that as I recall.

edit: 1999-2000 they did not play the FA cup, they were part of the FIFA Club World Championship.

Apr 22, 2013
So are EFL clubs contractually obliged to participate in any competition that the EFL decide will take place following the conditions laid down by the EFL on team composition etc or could a team just decide not to enter. A long time ago Brighton forgot to enter the FA Cup and when the error was noted belatedly they had to go through qualifying rounds although they were a League club at the time. Do clubs still have to apply to play in the FA Cup by a certain date?
Yes we are contractually obliged to enter all competitions organised by the EFL and are automatically entered into them, but slightly oddly, we still have to remember to enter the FA Cup and FA Youth Cup by a set date (and pay for the privilege, albeit a modest amount). Not sure what would happen these days if we forgot to enter and I don't intend to find out.
Non payment of a fine, as mentioned above, would result in a misconduct charge which most likely would lead to a further fine, transfer embargo or even potentially a points deduction, and in any event, the outstanding fine would be deducted from the monthly basic award payment that all clubs receive from the EFL.

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
Devon Live article said he was disappointed in some of the players against Swindon for not taking there opportunities wonder what players he refers to?

Probably Law, who should have done better for the last 2 goals.

Aug 24, 2009
We do not have a reserve fixture list so needless to say any competition which give our fringe players an opportunity is a good thing, it also allows players returning from injury to get match fit,,Major and Agard are good examples who would benefit. To say these games are pointless is strange when these are professional footballers and should all be aspiring to play in the first eleven. What was apparent the other evening was our youngsters do not play enough competitive football, playing in the youth teams is not good enough. Tomlinson, Law and Randell etc need to be playing every week and for Lowe to comment suggesting they did not take the opportunity is bizarre when these young men spend most of the season watching the games. The South Western Leagues is perfect for these lads and I have no idea why we do not participate bearing in mind we have apparently got such a strong relationship with the Cornwall and Devon FA. It would also give our coaches an opportunity to look at some of the young players whom they are playing against and maybe unearth a gem.