Papa Johns Trophy | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Papa Johns Trophy

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
When Tier 5 of English football is averaging nearly 2,500 attendance, as it is this season, then it should tell Guardiola and the like why the introduction of Premier League B teams into the pyramid is absolutely unnecessary. And unlike in Spain and Germany, where the best attendances for lower League sides are against Barcelona and Real Madrid B, the opposite would happen in England. Argyle would get far more for a home League game v Cheltenham than against Chelsea B, as is evidenced by the truly awful Trophy competition currently. And that's not just because of the boycott.
A lot of people got very excited when we held Liverpool at Anfield. Whilst I'm sure the 9000 there had a wonderful day out, we were effectively playing Liverpool's 3rds on the day. You could argue that lower league fans should be boycotting the other cup competitions too..
I don't think attendances of the PJT games are going to be a turn off for the Cat 1 teams. In fact they look good compared to academy attendances.

The average attendance for all matches in PL2 1st Division so far this season (the highest academy league in the country) is only 495 and the highest attendance is just 1,643 for Chelsea v Man United. When Arsenal U21's went to Swindon there were 2,500 there.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
I don't think attendances of the PJT games are going to be a turn off for the Cat 1 teams. In fact they look good compared to academy attendances.

The average attendance for all matches in PL2 1st Division so far this season (the highest academy league in the country) is only 495 and the highest attendance is just 1,643 for Chelsea v Man United. When Arsenal U21's went to Swindon there were 2,500 there.
The point was more that lower league clubs don't want or need it, but are already being force-fed it by watered-down Premier League and Championship teams in the FA and League cup competitions and now U21s in the Trophy. All of which I find entirely abhorrent.
I would reduce the Premier League to 18 teams and introduce a rule that they have to play a minimum of 5 players in the FA and League Cup who started the previous league game. With 2 additional clubs dropping into the EFL, I would take the opportunity of restructuring that too, with the National League incorporated and a total of 96 clubs making up 4 divisions of 24- Championship, League 1, League 2 North, League 2 South. Bin U21 sides from the Trophy, and have the 72 sides from Leagues 1 and 2 do battle in a straight knock out tournament, starting with the bottom ranked 16 teams from the previous season, in order to get to 64.
Sorted!

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Through financial choice I guess.
But if we want to develop a first class academy don’t we need to be able to test our better youth prospects against better opposition?

Jan 27, 2012
so why aren’t we involved in a reserve type league?
I‘m surprised this issue doesn‘t get raised more often. It seems to me that a series of competitive reserve fixtures would really benefit fringe players and those recovering from injury. Surely Exeter, Torquay, Yeovil, Truro, Tiverton etc would be interested too ?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
I‘m surprised this issue doesn‘t get raised more often. It seems to me that a series of competitive reserve fixtures would really benefit fringe players and those recovering from injury. Surely Exeter, Torquay, Yeovil, Truro, Tiverton etc would be interested too ?
After the big announcement about the Academy 'hubs' in Cornwall and considering the links/loans we have with Truro Parkway etc. I'm a bit surprised that there is nothing formal set up. If you could get a good competitive league for youngsters, triallists etc. set up, ideally a level where players like Mayor could get a run out when recovering from injury that would surely benefit SW football?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
But if we want to develop a first class academy don’t we need to be able to test our better youth prospects against better opposition?
Of course but it comes down to cost. If Argyle were to have plans for their youth players to regularly compete with elite kids at the top academies then a few bags of sand from PASOTI now and again wont go very far. Palace for instance recently laid a new show pitch for the U23's and U18's to play their matches on at a cost of a million quid. To take the academy to even Cat 2, the costs are colossal.

Jan 27, 2012
It doesn't necessarily have to be a formal league- just a pre-arranged series of friendlies would do. But it would be better if it was against other professional clubs if possible. No lower than Truro standard at least and hopefully higher. No offence to Parkway, but they are very far removed from League One standard, and the fitness levels do not compare either. Reserve fixtures need to be as tough as possible. And it shouldn't just be aimed at helping youth players- the main focus should be on Argyle's experienced professionals who are out of the team for whatever reason.