• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

Pandora Papers

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
I just came across that myself. Lots of juicy and shocking revelations to come, no doubt, and then absolutely nothing will change.

Frank Butcher

Foodbank Donor
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Had a bit of a closer look and I’m not sure some of the revelations quite what they purport to be. Undoubtedly unethical activity but not necessarily criminal or corrupt as such. The Czech PM not declaring an interest is probably closest.

Taking the two closest to home so far, it seems the Blairs (through advisers no doubt) used a commercial route to avoid tax. Unethical but not illegal it seems. Amersi was a consultant for a company that got fined in the US a decade ago. So guilt being implied purely by association with no apparent evidence of wrongdoing on his part. Note I‘m working from headlines and may have missed some finer details, though I’d have thought anything truly corrupt would have been headlined.

I’m not defending the immoral actions of these wealthy people, far from it. But it is the laws of the world that allow these things to happen, in the same way some accountants might use tax avoidance techniques - rather than tax evasion of course. The scale is hugely different but the principle remains.

Perhaps the revelations are more a comment on legislative systems as much as they are on unethical behaviour of certain individuals?

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
Had a bit of a closer look and I’m not sure some of the revelations quite what they purport to be. Undoubtedly unethical activity but not necessarily criminal or corrupt as such. The Czech PM not declaring an interest is probably closest.

Taking the two closest to home so far, it seems the Blairs (through advisers no doubt) used a commercial route to avoid tax. Unethical but not illegal it seems. Amersi was a consultant for a company that got fined in the US a decade ago. So guilt being implied purely by association with no apparent evidence of wrongdoing on his part. Note I‘m working from headlines and may have missed some finer details, though I’d have thought anything truly corrupt would have been headlined.

I’m not defending the immoral actions of these wealthy people, far from it. But it is the laws of the world that allow these things to happen, in the same way some accountants might use tax avoidance techniques - rather than tax evasion of course. The scale is hugely different but the principle remains.

Perhaps the revelations are more a comment on legislative systems as much as they are on unethical behaviour of certain individuals?

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
It will be interesting to see if it reveals aid money being squirrelled away into bank accounts or property.
I guess there must be some money laundering activity in there somewhere.

Nov 15, 2011
It will be interesting to see if it reveals aid money being squirrelled away into bank accounts or property.
I guess there must be some money laundering activity in there somewhere.
Re money laundering, the report says :

“Once again Britain’s role as an enabler of global corruption and money laundering has been exposed with the same loopholes exploited to funnel suspect wealth into the country," said Duncan Hames, Director of Policy at Transparency International UK.

"Not only does this damage the UK’s reputation as a country governed by the rule of law, but it enriches corrupt elites around the world at the expense of their populations. No one benefits from this system but them
."

Much of the money laundering comes from Russia washed through the London property market. But when you consider that Johnson has just put his friend Lebvedev, an ex KGB agent and mate of Putin into the (unelected) House of Lords to pass our laws well, don't hold your breath.

Pogleswoody

Kate Sponsor
Schuey Sponsor
Pun Master
50/50 Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
NHS Cake Donor
T.O Support
Foodbank Donor
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
S'funny that this 'dirt' about Blair etc is front page news during the Tory Party Conference. Hope there is room on the front page for all the other news this week.

• Haha
Reactions: Pilgrim Joe
Nov 15, 2011
Multi millionaire Rishi Sunak (the richest man in Parliament), said about the UK being the money laundering capital of the world on Radio 4 today "It isn't a source of shame."

The Tory party has received £3.5 million from Russian non dom donors who benefit from their unique tax status by not paying tax on their non UK income while hoovering up London properties with their laundered monies. Tax liabilities are limited to 18%/28% on any gains. The UK are not part of the new strict EU Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing Regulations .

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon

I pretty much agree with this, Frank. Even the Blair purchase seems a non-starter: they've said that the vendor was off-shore and controlled how the purchase was conducted, and as soon as they completed it they moved it "on-shore" so they would be liable for all taxes should they sell it on in the future.

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
Re money laundering, the report says :

“Once again Britain’s role as an enabler of global corruption and money laundering has been exposed with the same loopholes exploited to funnel suspect wealth into the country," said Duncan Hames, Director of Policy at Transparency International UK.

"Not only does this damage the UK’s reputation as a country governed by the rule of law, but it enriches corrupt elites around the world at the expense of their populations. No one benefits from this system but them
."

Much of the money laundering comes from Russia washed through the London property market. But when you consider that Johnson has just put his friend Lebvedev, an ex KGB agent and mate of Putin into the (unelected) House of Lords to pass our laws well, don't hold your breath.
Facts wrong again Professor Clickbait.
Lord Evgeny Lebvedev, owner of the Evening Standard and The Independant, was never a member of the KGB - you may be thinking of his father.
Evgeny Lebvedev came to England when he was 8, was educated here and has British citizenship.

Nov 15, 2011
My apologies it was his billionaire father who was in the KGB.

And to be fair to him , despite being an unelected crony passing our laws, he knows what's going on in the UK - "Alexander Lebedev, the Russian-born owner of The Independent and the Evening Standard, claimed that London-based banks had helped hide more than $6 trillion in corruption payments and criminal proceeds since the turn of the millennium and warned that the City was now the “epicentre” of a global “financial services oligarchy”."

signalspast

50/50 Sponsor
T.O Support
Aug 17, 2005
Let's wait and see what's said before one shouts about political sides. They say there are 9 uk ex and current mps within it

Nov 15, 2011
BBC has started publishing highlights :

A businessman whose companies have backed 34 Tory MPs made millions from an allegedly corrupt Russian pipeline deal, leaked files show. Former oil executive Victor Fedotov owns a firm currently seeking UK government approval for a controversial energy link between the UK and France. A BBC investigation shows he secretly benefitted from the alleged $4bn fraud in Russia.

The Conservative Party is facing fresh questions about donations made by the wife of a former Russian minister. Lubov Chernukhin is one of the biggest donors to the Tories, giving nearly £1.9m since 2012.
Leaked documents reveal her personal wealth comes from her husband Vladimir. He has been financially linked to people who were close to the Kremlin. She donated £45,000 for a game of tennis with Boris Johnson.

Johnson blocked the Russian report for 9 months so it wasn't released before the election and on release was redacted so names weren't included. There are no sides here, just corruption.