Oxford United v Plymouth Argyle - the build up | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Oxford United v Plymouth Argyle - the build up

Nov 18, 2011
Seen us win there and seen us lose horribly too. Think it'll be an even game. I'd also take a point, let's go 1-1.

Be interesting to see what RL does with Mayor and Camara. Mayor looked unstoppable Tuesday night, but maybe he's not fully fit. Camara has been awesome this season but I think he'd benefit from a rest. Is there any formation that would let Broom and Mayor play together?
Not really, unless we went for a really dramatic change to 4-4-2

Cooper

Edwards - Scarr - Wilson - Grant
Broom - Houghton - Camara - Mayor
Jephcott - Hardie

Or dropped a striker and played 3-4-3 with Broom and Mayor flanking a striker. But then we'd be losing the excellent strike partnership of Jephcott and Hardie.

Given that we've played 3-5-2 all season and it's worked excellently, it'd be madness in my opinion to suddenly change the formation. I'd have Mayor coming off the bench to make things happen if we're struggling to break down Oxford.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
I think defending will be the issue and i think he'll bring Mayor off the bench only if needed. Assuming Jephcott resumes up front only query for me would be whether to stick with Garrick or bring back Joe 90.

If Camara were to be "rested" I'd personally prefer to see Randell given a chance either in that same role or maybe alongside Houghton in an England style 3-5-2.

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
My prediction for the line up, tough game and will be a good weekend, if the unbeaten run continues.
Cooper
Wilson
Scarr
Gillesphey
Edwards
Camara
Grant
Houghton
Broom
Jephcott
Hardie

subs
Burton
Mayor
Randall
Law
Agard
Garrick
Galloway

Reactions: Cousin Pavlos

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Why? Jephcott only played for 90 minutes whilst away with Wales. I can't see the sense in breaking up a flourishing and productive partnership unless there are any doubts over Jephcott's fitness. I would continue with Gillespie as Galloway has had a lengthy and possibly tiring journey back from Zimbabwe following a midweek 90 minutes. I think Mayor has to wait his turn again this weekend and get another 30 or so minutes under his belt as a sub. It's going to be a tough one for sure and another tough one on Tuesday. Anything more than 3 points from these two will be a bonus for me.

Last edited:

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
So I wonder if he will change the formation to throw his mate's plans having seen us play last week. Would he dare to play 5-1-3-1 flexing to 3-3-3-1 when we are attacking ? Hardie up front on his own ?

Whatever he chooses to do, think we are doomed to lose our top spot and unbeaten league run, jinx team.

• Wow
Reactions: David Doidge

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
Call me a pessimist but I think Oxford will really give us a game tomorrow. And probably our hardest game of the season so far.

I think the man to highlight for them is central midfielder Cam Brannagan. Came from Liverpool a few years back. Very highly thought of. Sits in the centre circle and pings the ball about to the front 3 of a 4-3-3 formation. (Think Steve McCall or Lilian Nalis.)

Given we’ll be playing a 5-3-2 / 3-5-2 as usual, I reckon they will be looking to hit us on the counter attack, through the middle whilst their two wide strikers attempt to get in behind our wing-backs.

I can see a high scoring game, so my heart says 3-2 Argyle but my head says 3-2 Oxford.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Call me a pessimist but I think Oxford will really give us a game tomorrow. And probably our hardest game of the season so far.

I think the man to highlight for them is central midfielder Cam Brannagan. Came from Liverpool a few years back. Very highly thought of. Sits in the centre circle and pings the ball about to the front 3 of a 4-3-3 formation. (Think Steve McCall or Lilian Nalis.)

Given we’ll be playing a 5-3-2 / 3-5-2 as usual, I reckon they will be looking to hit us on the counter attack, through the middle whilst their two wide strikers attempt to get in behind our wing-backs.

I can see a high scoring game, so my heart says 3-2 Argyle but my head says 3-2 Oxford.
’Think Steve McCall and Lilian Nalis’? I was thinking David Fox then Jordan Houghton.

Reactions: Adam