Our Squad | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Our Squad

Oct 24, 2010
tonycholwell":2d550hj8 said:
Damon.Lenszner":2d550hj8 said:
"We want to compete to win next season, we don't want to compete to stay up. It's a subtle difference but an important one, we're not aspiring to be mid-table, we're aspiring to succeed." James Brent, May 10, 2012.

"We're desperately keen for promotion next year and we'll support the team in striving to achieve it." James Brent, May 29th 2012

"We have a budget that I think both the management team and the board is hopeful will give us a fair chance of promotion this season," James Brent, 9th July 2012

"I want what Carl and the fans are also wanting, a successful Argyle team playing attractive football and pushing for promotion." James Brent, July 17th 2012.

Damon

I am not sure of the point of the quotes.

C F has a huge budget by this divisions standards but like all managers it is up to him how and on who he spends it.

If you want the Chairman to be the manager as well, it m be cosidered step too far:)

ps Its no surprise Ollie and Pulis had similar ideas they are mates and played together at Bristol Rovers.

Tony

It's not only the manager who is responsible for player recruitment, It is obviously up to Fletcher to identify his targets but dealing with agents and sorting out contracts I would assume to be as much, if not more, the responsibility of the Chief Executive. It was reported on these boards (and it is never wrong) that Fletcher identified a number of targets in the summer who the club failed to land.

Also, congratulations on your election, I'm sure my vote made all the difference. Have you contacted James Brent yet about increasing the capacity of the new stand (I'm sure it was in your manifesto)?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
esmer":15qc15ma said:
tonycholwell":15qc15ma said:
Damon.Lenszner":15qc15ma said:
"We want to compete to win next season, we don't want to compete to stay up. It's a subtle difference but an important one, we're not aspiring to be mid-table, we're aspiring to succeed." James Brent, May 10, 2012.

"We're desperately keen for promotion next year and we'll support the team in striving to achieve it." James Brent, May 29th 2012

"We have a budget that I think both the management team and the board is hopeful will give us a fair chance of promotion this season," James Brent, 9th July 2012

"I want what Carl and the fans are also wanting, a successful Argyle team playing attractive football and pushing for promotion." James Brent, July 17th 2012.

Damon

C F has a huge budget by this divisions standards but like all managers it is up to him how and on who he spends it.

If you want the Chairman to be the manager as well, it m be cosidered step too far:)

ps Its no surprise Ollie and Pulis had similar ideas they are mates and played together at Bristol Rovers.

Tony

It's not only the manager who is responsible for player recruitment, It is obviously up to Fletcher to identify his targets but dealing with agents and sorting out contracts I would assume to be as much, if not more, the responsibility of the Chief Executive. It was reported on these boards (and it is never wrong) that Fletcher identified a number of targets in the summer who the club failed to land.

Also, congratulations on your election, I'm sure my vote made all the difference. Have you contacted James Brent yet about increasing the capacity of the new stand (I'm sure it was in your manifesto)?

That's what you would think and I would too. However it was pointed out on Radio Five Live Extra yesterday that at Leicester City, assistant boss Steve Walsh is responsible in identifying and recruiting new players. Manager Nigel Pearson's roll is to solely coach and manage the team that he is given to work with. I must be getting old because that doesn't seem right at all but I guess it is working for them at this moment in time.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
Lundan Cabbie":2dxz4owx said:
esmer":2dxz4owx said:
tonycholwell":2dxz4owx said:
Damon.Lenszner":2dxz4owx said:

Damon

Tony

That's what you would think and I would too. However it was pointed out on Radio Five Live Extra yesterday that at Leicester City, assistant boss Steve Walsh is responsible in identifying and recruiting new players. Manager Nigel Pearson's roll is to solely coach and manage the team that he is given to work with. I must be getting old because that doesn't seem right at all but I guess it is working for them at this moment in time.

Was kinda of like the set-up Clough and Taylor had, no?

Edit: I know it wasn't that simple but I'm sure Taylor was the one most responsible for identifying targets? "He's the goods in the back I'm the shop front" (Terrible paraphrasing of Clough).

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Liam Vercoe":rd7r8jyr said:
Lundan Cabbie":rd7r8jyr said:
esmer":rd7r8jyr said:
tonycholwell":rd7r8jyr said:
Damon.Lenszner":rd7r8jyr said:

Damon

Tony

Was kinda of like the set-up Clough and Taylor had, no?

Edit: I know it wasn't that simple but I'm sure Taylor was the one most responsible for identifying targets? "He's the goods in the back I'm the shop front" (Terrible paraphrasing of Clough).

That's a good point LV

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
esmer":3r2e7yph said:
tonycholwell":3r2e7yph said:
Damon.Lenszner":3r2e7yph said:

Essy

Many thanks and saultations to you and yours.

Damon

Tony

Essy

On your substantive point, I think it is Damon, the general manager who is responsible for contracts.

I think it was Tim O'Hare (TThe Doctor) who calculated the playing budget to be around £2 million give or take. That is about 3 times what teams like Exeter, Torquay and Accrington Stanley have. But then they dont have the swollen squads we have.

As far as Im aware we do not have a Director of Football charged with recruitment hence the Has he or Has he not any contacts threads which regularly appear. So, Im guessing, its simpler here, CF says who he wants, perhaps with input from his backroom team an approach is made and Damon negotiates. So we are back to the begining, Carl has the budget and it is for him to jiggle who he wants, balanced against who we can, or are willing, to afford.

But when we have a healthy budget compared to many others you would expect to be judged, not least by the fans.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
greengenes":3uyy046j said:
tonycholwell":3uyy046j said:
esmer":3uyy046j said:
tonycholwell":3uyy046j said:
Damon.Lenszner":3uyy046j said:

Essy

Damon

Tony

Essy

On your substantive point, I think it is Damon, the general manager who is responsible for contracts.

I think it was Tim O'Hare (TThe Doctor) who calculated the playing budget to be around £2 million give or take. That is about 3 times what teams like Exeter, Torquay and Accrington Stanley have. But then they dont have the swollen squads we have.

As far as Im aware we do not have a Director of Football charged with recruitment hence the Has he or Has he not any contacts threads which regularly appear. So, Im guessing, its simpler here, CF says who he wants, perhaps with input from his backroom team an approach is made and Damon negotiates. So we are back to the begining, Carl has the budget and it is for him to jiggle who he wants, balanced against who we can, or are willing, to afford.

But when we have a healthy budget compared to many others you would expect to be judged, not least by the fans.

I had swollen squads once . Very painfull .

Made I laff :greensmile:

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Mention of Torquay and Exeter as comparisons is all well and good but as with all businesses different enterprises have different levels of overheads, I would imagine that in non first team terms Home park costs more to run than Plainmoor or St James.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
justanotherfan":2aeh1oi0 said:
Mention of Torquay and Exeter as comparisons is all well and good but as with all businesses different enterprises have different levels of overheads, I would imagine that in non first team terms Home park costs more to run than Plainmoor or St James.

Sorry Just, that was just playing budgets.

All other outgoings will need to be paid from the 45% not used on players wages.

Give or take.

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
tonycholwell":2gct2f4q said:
esmer":2gct2f4q said:
tonycholwell":2gct2f4q said:
Damon.Lenszner":2gct2f4q said:

Essy

Damon

Tony

Essy

Can I have a link to this thread when the Doc this?

I have no idea where he would get up to date info on what Exeter, Torquay and Argyle's players are earning.

You mention our swollen squad, but the surplus bodies are mostly kids living with their parents. Chenoweth, Richards, Nelson, Copp, Young, Lecointe, Sims, Vassell - on the back of a programme that looks a considerable expense. But even the lads that have had stretches in the first team are probably only on a few hundred quid a week.

I am still guessing that Argyle's expenditure has been on loan fees. Jenkins, MacDonald, Griffiths and Madjo - the first three are Championship players that must have been persuaded down here some how. And with regards to Madjo, clubs don't let their best talent out unless it was made worth their while. All guesses though as I've said.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Jenkins and Griffiths I would expectr cost a bit ib wages unless the parent club is contributing any of it. McDonald is no more a championship player than Vassel is a league 2 player currently and is probably at his correct level now. I'm not sure we had to make it worth Aldershot's while to get Madjo either, he was unwanted and they wanted him off the wage bill. All guesses though like you ejh.

Apr 20, 2011
Tetbury
Liam Vercoe":3mf7cslj said:
I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that some (not sure how many) of Fletch's targets for the summer chose to go elsewhere for more money (not necessarily in our league) so I can't fault a League 2 club being out-done for money but clubs higher up, it also shows that we're looking to bring in quality players who can command such money, that's ambition in my book. Our squad can and will get better.

This for me.

Money spent never equates directly with success - some of the best players we've ever seen in any English league have cost peanuts (Coughlan to Schmeichel, for example). We have some good players, we have some that will be moved on. I think next season represents a decent opportunity for Argyle, assuming we gain and maintain some momentum in this one. I would like to see us sign Madjo and MacDonald in January, with Chadwick moving on. I still feel that Feeney's work rate offers something.