Our Manager | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Our Manager

Jan 16, 2016
Southampton
Holloway or Luggy mk1 I would suspect.
When was the last time we had a manager who influenced games so much with substitutes and tactical changes?
I've been wondering about this too. Schuey is undoubtedly making these telling tweaks every game at the moment. Is that because he's a genius, or is it simply that in previous seasons the squad depth wasn't available? Or is it that we now have 5 subs and he's taking full advantage? I think it's all three. Schuey is an exceptionally gifted manager, working in an ideal environment and benefiting from recent rule changes.

Reactions: Deacster

Keith Whitfield

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 30, 2015
My answer to Deacster's intriguing question is: "Never". Luggy and Holloway were excellent managers and did a good job for Argyle (Luggy Mk 1 anyway), but neither has Schuey's ability to change a game around. There is a touch of the Pep Guardiola about the way he goes about pre-game and in-game management. To my mind, there is no higher praise for a manager.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I've been wondering about this too. Schuey is undoubtedly making these telling tweaks every game at the moment. Is that because he's a genius, or is it simply that in previous seasons the squad depth wasn't available? Or is it that we now have 5 subs and he's taking full advantage? I think it's all three. Schuey is an exceptionally gifted manager, working in an ideal environment and benefiting from recent rule changes.
The 5 substitutes in the right hands is a major weapon. When they introduced that rule first time around, I often felt with his predecessor that we completely lost our way when he used all 5. But now there is clearly a measured approach, made more effective by a clearly well-planned change of formation.

Feb 13, 2021
Couldn't agree more. I think Cosgrove was the final piece in the jigsaw, because he is a different kind of forward to Ennis and Hardie. As an impact sub, his contributions could be huge.

Mar 23, 2008
My answer to Deacster's intriguing question is: "Never". Luggy and Holloway were excellent managers and did a good job for Argyle (Luggy Mk 1 anyway), but neither has Schuey's ability to change a game around. There is a touch of the Pep Guardiola about the way he goes about pre-game and in-game management. To my mind, there is no higher praise for a manager.
Well that was my thinking. I agree that of all the managers we have had, Luggy and Ollie are the best at pro-active changes but feel at the mo Schuey is getting so much right.
That said, as pointed out by Sean we also have 5 subs for the first time and also a great squad. In fairness to ask another question, when was the last time we had such a strong squad with so many credible options?

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
It's not just the changing personnel via subs, the tactical changes are quiet profound and proving very effective. We are learning to weather the high press and then shift formation to great effect as the oppos tire.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Schumacher's in-game management and decision making has been excellent.
For instance, in the last four league games 8 goals have been scored, 5 of them by substitutes and 2 assists from substitutes.

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
Latest EFL podcast another triumph for our manager.
100% agree , on every level Schuey comes across as an intelligent, quality manager, excellent tactician, strong leader and most importantly a good bloke. We are very lucky to have him and let’s enjoy him while he is here. I hope he takes us to the next level and when he does eventually leave that is to help him toward getting his dream job at Everton someday.

Reactions: David Doidge

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Schumacher's in-game management and decision making has been excellent.
For instance, in the last four league games 8 goals have been scored, 5 of them by substitutes and 2 assists from substitutes.
And we’ve used 3-4 different formations.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
100% agree , on every level Schuey comes across as an intelligent, quality manager, excellent tactician, strong leader and most importantly a good bloke. We are very lucky to have him and let’s enjoy him while he is here. I hope he takes us to the next level and when he does eventually leave that is to help him toward getting his dream job at Everton someday.
I just love listening to him. He clearly has a real work ethic, that is for sure. I was interested in all of it, but especially his observations on the closed-season inquest, inasmuch that he and the staff admitted that we were a bit of a 'one-trick-pony' with the 3-5-2. I suspect that last season with the matches coming thick and fast, plus he had so many new tasks to learn, there simply wasn't time to make the change. One thing was ckear, this is very much his team now.

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
I just love listening to him. He clearly has a real work ethic, that is for sure. I was interested in all of it, but especially his observations on the closed-season inquest, inasmuch that he and the staff admitted that we were a bit of a 'one-trick-pony' with the 3-5-2. I suspect that last season with the matches coming thick and fast, plus he had so many new tasks to learn, there simply wasn't time to make the change. One thing was ckear, this is very much his team now.
Imagine England with Schuey’s tactical nous ?! Southgate like Lowe seems like a one trick / formation pony too, I think with Schuey it is a clear demonstration of the massive value added by a good tactical coach.