On this day 1973 & tonight | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

On this day 1973 & tonight

Aug 17, 2006
I was there as they say & going tonight for my first game of the season. I didn't go to QPR thinking we would win or even get a draw because we were going to a big club , but hoping for a good performance. The rest is history & what a night.
Tonight I'm going out of blind loyalty to follow my beloved club. Which will always be there excepting liquidation of course but the players & management won't!
Like 73 I don't expect a win or draw but I would never want them to lose. After seeing a previous thread I got quite depressed & nearly decided not to go.
I don't like the team selection any more than anyone else particularly up front & Fletcher seems clueless but typing this I still have 1% of optimism as I'll be spending alot of cash to get there , coming from Chester le Street Co. Durham entrance food & some beers.
My prediction an optimistic 1-1 draw.

Ray Stidwell

Jam First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Good to read your post, Chester..............& Good Luck for Tonight!

Unfortunately, although I too was there at Loftus Road on that glorious night, I won't be able to "do the double" & be there tonight as well- save in "spirit"..................maybe , just maybe, Luke Young will be our "Alan Walsh" tonight, or maybe PCH.

.........& for those who knock our "green-tinted" reminiscences & optimism, so be it ; The club does stand a good chance(moreso than seemed to be the case last year!) of being there in 39 years time, and in between there'll be Highs & Lows.

The Lows hurt like hell........of course ............but pathetic or not, nights like that fabulous evening 39 years ago still give me a warm glow inside.

COYGS

Aug 17, 2006
Thanks for your response Ray I missed the official cattle truck train special trying to park my Ford Anglia as seen in Heartbeat! My 2 work mates were on that train. I got the next normal service at no extra charge. Spent the day in London on my lonesome then on to Shepherds Bush etc. etc. Incidentally it was Welsh not Walsh!
Got the mail train as they used to call it at midnight & met my mates. 8 of us in old style carriages no sleep who cared. I remember at Exeter getting out for a coffee at about 4am saw the train move ran like hell it stopped again coffee all over me. Arrived at North Rd. at 7am aprox went to my mates house in Plympton a qwick wash change & off to work. Those were the days. Tonight I'll be ticking off a new ground for me so that will probably be the highlight.

Ray Stidwell

Jam First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Born on a very fine night indeed, Floyd !

Of course !, Chester, 'twas indeed Alan Welsh!- how did I misspell that?

Indeed, Lundan- as Greengenes said 'twas a thoroughly deserved 3-0.
I forget the QPR team, but it did include "Stan the man", did it not?...............They were about 3rd in Div 1 at the time..............the properly named Div 1 that is! when the fourth tier was called Div 4 .
The away end was standing then (indeed uncovered, but 'twas a dry night!); four student friends, including my future wife*, came with me.

(* she really didn't "get" me hugging strange men- & still doesn't really "get" it- shame as her only other match was a 3-0 win at Watford!)

Loved the story of your journey, Chester.

Good luck, again, for this evening!!!

R

Rupert

I was there too. I can still picture the goals - and hear the sound of the generators QPR hired to beat the miners' strike and use their floodlights. Without them, the game would have been played on a midweek afternoon, as was the case with the quarter-final at Birmingham City and the semi-final leg against Manchester City at Home Park.

The goals Alan Welsh and Steve Davey scored at Birmingham (I was there too) were outstanding - especially Davey's - but the performance at QPR was better. One of the great nights in Argyle's history. This was what I put together for the WMN Argyle centenary series in 2003-04, complete with some splendid stuff written on the night by Ray Head:

Rangers routed by rampant Pilgrims

Plymouth Argyle may not have done anything special in the old Football League Third Division – they finished in 17th place – in the 1973-74 campaign, but in the League Cup they were almost unstoppable.

For the second time in their history, the Pilgrims reached the semi-finals of the tournament, and they did it in style. Three First Division clubs were beaten on their own grounds before the run came to an end in a close defeat over two legs to a star-studded Manchester City side at the last-four stage. Burnley, Queen’s Park Rangers and Birmingham City all found Argyle too hot to handle.

Burnley, in the third round, and Birmingham, in the quarter-finals, were both beaten 2-1. QPR, in contrast, were swept aside on a great night in west London in the fourth round. Plymouth pummelled the Loftus Road men 3-0 in one of the finest cup-tie displays in their history.

Under manager Gordon Jago, QPR were riding high in the top flight and had big names like Terry Venables, Terry Mancini, Frank McLintock, Gerry Francis and Stan Bowles. But, incredibly, there was only one team in it on the night.

This is how Western Morning News correspondent Ray Head described the evening’s entertainment on Tuesday, November 20, 1973: “Plymouth Argyle’s Alan Welsh was principal boy in a London West End smash hit last night which had everybody but Queen’s Park Rangers, currently the capital’s brightest, breeziest soccer show, clapping.

“Welsh, who scored two tremendous goals, thoroughly deserved the star billing. Steve Davey rattled in his 12th goal of the season to complete the regal feast Plymouth set before the 19,072 Loftus Road crowd.

“All the goals arrived in the second half when the fans were really beginning to appreciate Argyle’s ever- widening talent. Tony Waiters’ high- flyers took a stunningly exciting way of reaching the quarter-finals of the League Cup, and only on the odd occasion did the old QPR flair surface. Poor Rangers. They met a team who sustained a peak of skills, which suggested that it is not too premature to hail them as possible winners of the competition.

“Although Rangers never lacked the energy to try to get back into the game, super Argyle just would not allow it. What a mesmerising, incredible combination of blistering pace and glittering skills they turned on. They produced a soccer show which was not far removed from perfection. Speed coupled with class. Individual ability of the highest order plus a standard of passing and general team-work which was pure clockwork.

“Argyle were masters of every blade of grass on the Loftus Road pitch. High-scoring Rangers were simply submerged in a dazzling green and black sea of Plymouth shirts – and the scoreline in no way over-estimated their superiority.

“Rangers were glad to survive without more damage, while Plymouth must take every credit for keeping the game open and playing in a positive style.

“Rangers never looked capable of staging a recovery once Argyle had taken the lead. Once they slipped further behind it was Rangers, not Plymouth, who looked set for slaughter.”

Welsh was the ringleader of the Argyle attack. He opened the scoring in the 16th minute when he tricked his way through the left flank of the QPR defence and found the net from a narrow angle. Ten minutes later Paul Mariner won the ball and set up Davey’s close-range goal.

In the last minute Welsh, according to the WMN, “thundered a fearsome shot past Phil Parkes to complete Argyle’s memorable night. Rangers did not offer much threat. Neil Hague and company took a grip and strangled any possible fire or flair from the home side, who will suffer recurring nightmares from this result.”

Argyle: J Furnell; C Randell, B Saxton, N Hague, C Sullivan; A Welsh, J Hore, E Machin, Alan Rogers; S Davey, P Mariner. Substitute: D Rickard.

R

Rupert

Quintrell_Green":wsoufc57 said:
QPR that night included :-

Parkes, Venables, McLintock, Thomas, Bowles and Givens, all of whom were aleady, or became Internationals

And they sent on a young substitute called John Delve...

Aug 10, 2006
Rupert":1ir9ypwb said:
I was there too. I can still picture the goals - and hear the sound of the generators QPR hired to beat the miners' strike and use their floodlights. Without them, the game would have been played on a midweek afternoon, as was the case with the quarter-final at Birmingham City and the semi-final leg against Manchester City at Home Park.

The goals Alan Welsh and Steve Davey scored at Birmingham (I was there too) were outstanding - especially Davey's - but the performance at QPR was better. One of the great nights in Argyle's history. This was what I put together for the WMN Argyle centenary series in 2003-04, complete with some splendid stuff written on the night by Ray Head:

Rangers routed by rampant Pilgrims

Plymouth Argyle may not have done anything special in the old Football League Third Division – they finished in 17th place – in the 1973-74 campaign, but in the League Cup they were almost unstoppable.

For the second time in their history, the Pilgrims reached the semi-finals of the tournament, and they did it in style. Three First Division clubs were beaten on their own grounds before the run came to an end in a close defeat over two legs to a star-studded Manchester City side at the last-four stage. Burnley, Queen’s Park Rangers and Birmingham City all found Argyle too hot to handle.

Burnley, in the third round, and Birmingham, in the quarter-finals, were both beaten 2-1. QPR, in contrast, were swept aside on a great night in west London in the fourth round. Plymouth pummelled the Loftus Road men 3-0 in one of the finest cup-tie displays in their history.

Under manager Gordon Jago, QPR were riding high in the top flight and had big names like Terry Venables, Terry Mancini, Frank McLintock, Gerry Francis and Stan Bowles. But, incredibly, there was only one team in it on the night.

This is how Western Morning News correspondent Ray Head described the evening’s entertainment on Tuesday, November 20, 1973: “Plymouth Argyle’s Alan Welsh was principal boy in a London West End smash hit last night which had everybody but Queen’s Park Rangers, currently the capital’s brightest, breeziest soccer show, clapping.

“Welsh, who scored two tremendous goals, thoroughly deserved the star billing. Steve Davey rattled in his 12th goal of the season to complete the regal feast Plymouth set before the 19,072 Loftus Road crowd.

“All the goals arrived in the second half when the fans were really beginning to appreciate Argyle’s ever- widening talent. Tony Waiters’ high- flyers took a stunningly exciting way of reaching the quarter-finals of the League Cup, and only on the odd occasion did the old QPR flair surface. Poor Rangers. They met a team who sustained a peak of skills, which suggested that it is not too premature to hail them as possible winners of the competition.

“Although Rangers never lacked the energy to try to get back into the game, super Argyle just would not allow it. What a mesmerising, incredible combination of blistering pace and glittering skills they turned on. They produced a soccer show which was not far removed from perfection. Speed coupled with class. Individual ability of the highest order plus a standard of passing and general team-work which was pure clockwork.

“Argyle were masters of every blade of grass on the Loftus Road pitch. High-scoring Rangers were simply submerged in a dazzling green and black sea of Plymouth shirts – and the scoreline in no way over-estimated their superiority.

“Rangers were glad to survive without more damage, while Plymouth must take every credit for keeping the game open and playing in a positive style.

“Rangers never looked capable of staging a recovery once Argyle had taken the lead. Once they slipped further behind it was Rangers, not Plymouth, who looked set for slaughter.”

Welsh was the ringleader of the Argyle attack. He opened the scoring in the 16th minute when he tricked his way through the left flank of the QPR defence and found the net from a narrow angle. Ten minutes later Paul Mariner won the ball and set up Davey’s close-range goal.

In the last minute Welsh, according to the WMN, “thundered a fearsome shot past Phil Parkes to complete Argyle’s memorable night. Rangers did not offer much threat. Neil Hague and company took a grip and strangled any possible fire or flair from the home side, who will suffer recurring nightmares from this result.”

Argyle: J Furnell; C Randell, B Saxton, N Hague, C Sullivan; A Welsh, J Hore, E Machin, Alan Rogers; S Davey, P Mariner. Substitute: D Rickard.
jesus what i would give to see that team play again great memories from that era.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":8oxa5x66 said:
I take it they won then? :)
yes mate we totally outplayed them.i was 17 and in my first job. a miserable garage and two of my colleagues were sitting down at our morning break and they started wondering if they could get to london for the kick off.we agreed we could and approached the boss and he kindly allowed us to go.we set off about 11 o'clock and got to london about 5.30. a brilliant match. i think alan welsh got one of the goals.they just couldn't get the ball off us.