Not the Top 20 Podcast | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Not the Top 20 Podcast

Mar 16, 2009
London
New L1 predictions podcast out from the Not the Top 20 crew, Ali Maxwell and George Elek.

Very surprisingly (to me) they've got Argyle to finish 23rd.

Respected by many, and usually reasonably on it and well informed, I can't help thinking they've lost the plot this time.

They were continually praising Ryan Lowe last season

They reckon Argyle have made few if any changes to the squad from last season's squad, and will be adversely affected by 'losing' Will Aimson, Nouble and Ben Reeves, as if they went against our wishes.

How can they be so ill informed? Laziness?

For context they predict that Morecambe will avoid the drop.

In a way this new-found low expectation from so called experts could really help us this season.

The more forecasts of this nature the better then.

Reactions: jl62
Mar 14, 2009
I listen to these guys and they make a lot of sense.

However, yet to listen to this review.

Aimson was our best defender. That doesn’t say much though.

Nouble wasn’t that good. Yet Argyle lack a physical presence up front.

If they had said we will finish 23rd because they aren’t sure of Lowe’s game management l think that would be reasonable. Why? Well, the jury is still out on his system of play and where he plays certain players. If they had said his inability to change a course of a game via substitutions and in game tactics was also an issue, then you could at least see where they are coming from.

l look at managers in this league. Duff of Cheltenham for example. I think certain managers get the best out of their budget. I am concerned what we have is a sound bite manager.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
New L1 predictions podcast out from the Not the Top 20 crew, Ali Maxwell and George Elek.

Very surprisingly (to me) they've got Argyle to finish 23rd.

Respected by many, and usually reasonably on it and well informed, I can't help thinking they've lost the plot this time.

They were continually praising Ryan Lowe last season

They reckon Argyle have made few if any changes to the squad from last season's squad, and will be adversely affected by 'losing' Will Aimson, Nouble and Ben Reeves, as if they went against our wishes.

How can they be so ill informed? Laziness?

For context they predict that Morecambe will avoid the drop.

In a way this new-found low expectation from so called experts could really help us this season.

The more forecasts of this nature the better then.
There is no way we will finish in that position (or worse).
They have got that badly wrong. I agree that is lazy journalism, Justin.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
I could not care a hoot about where they think we will finish

All the podcasts i have heard all the articles i have read have us placed between 11th & 23rd but these journalists are looking at the players we have lost as our downfall this season

Aimson- barely played when we were in league 2 due to a pelvic injury that kept him out for a season- then had a near enough full season where he was deemed the senior pro in the defensive unit that had 2 premier league loaness to cover the other positions (that was a recipe for disaster as documented in the goals conceded last season)

Reeves- a pedigree player on paper who barely played apart for Cup Games & scored a worldie against Lincoln in the FA Cup- maybe RL didnt play him enough but the games i saw him in he did not do enough

Nouble- the corner flag king- yes a big physical target man but going back to Colchester in January on loan tells you everything you need to know

We may lack a physical presence up front but we have Niall who the commentator at Torquay said he thought Niall has a Raheem Sterling look about him

Look at the players we have brought in - James x 2, Maculay, Dan- how are they not an upgrade on Will Aimson

Jordan & Ryan- how are those not an upgrade on Ben Reeves

Striker - RL has is irons in the fire but we have Jephs, Niall & Hotdog

RL will not change is principals but he has recruited a better calibre of player as shown by the signings he has made

Lets these journalists think what they want- but we will have the last laugh

It will be also be interesting when EFL Quest starts when they are on the show whether they will have to eat humble pie

Oct 10, 2012
It’s not compulsory to think that we’ve improved from last season. Only time will tell.
Yes, I think we’ve improved the defence however they may take 10/15 games to gel as they’ve never played with each other before.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
It is bizarre. For some reason (I assume geographical) we go under the radar and are seen as little Plymouth, when we’re objectively one of the bigger clubs in the division. Certainly in the pack behind the Ipswich, Sunderland and Boltons.

Aug 5, 2016
I could not care a hoot about where they think we will finish

All the podcasts i have heard all the articles i have read have us placed between 11th & 23rd but these journalists are looking at the players we have lost as our downfall this season

Aimson- barely played when we were in league 2 due to a pelvic injury that kept him out for a season- then had a near enough full season where he was deemed the senior pro in the defensive unit that had 2 premier league loaness to cover the other positions (that was a recipe for disaster as documented in the goals conceded last season)

Reeves- a pedigree player on paper who barely played apart for Cup Games & scored a worldie against Lincoln in the FA Cup- maybe RL didnt play him enough but the games i saw him in he did not do enough

Nouble- the corner flag king- yes a big physical target man but going back to Colchester in January on loan tells you everything you need to know

We may lack a physical presence up front but we have Niall who the commentator at Torquay said he thought Niall has a Raheem Sterling look about him

Look at the players we have brought in - James x 2, Maculay, Dan- how are they not an upgrade on Will Aimson

Jordan & Ryan- how are those not an upgrade on Ben Reeves

Striker - RL has is irons in the fire but we have Jephs, Niall & Hotdog

RL will not change is principals but he has recruited a better calibre of player as shown by the signings he has made

Lets these journalists think what they want- but we will have the last laugh

It will be also be interesting when EFL Quest starts when they are on the show whether they will have to eat humble pie

Hopefully it is not the case that a number of Pasoti posters are overrating our team/chances and will be the ones eating humble pie.

The squad at present doesn't have much depth and we are only a couple of injuries from struggling.

The fact is our form has not been good since Ennis arrived, and yet we all agree he is probably our best player and needs to start.

The pundits will be well aware of the potential that last season's form and problems will run into this season.

Too early for our fans to be suggesting that pundits start eating humble pie.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Hopefully it is not the case that a number of Pasoti posters are overrating our team/chances and will be the ones eating humble pie.

The squad at present doesn't have much depth and we are only a couple of injuries from struggling.

The fact is our form has not been good since Ennis arrived, and yet we all agree he is probably our best player and needs to start.

The pundits will be well aware of the potential that last season's form and problems will run into this season.

Too early for our fans to be suggesting that pundits start eating humble pie.

Why will last season's form and problems run into this season?

Although our squad is very lean, most would agree it's higher quality.

A club that doesn't improve in their second season back in a league is usually a club that is poorly run, not something you can say about Argyle under Hallett.

Maxwell and Elek reckon we've not changed our squad, apart from the recruitment of Broom. That's our main tweak apparently.

What about completely ripping up our defence and midfield pivots, as well as a philosophical change in our approach to signings?

These guys are paid to be experts - if they're getting it this wrong - I imagine others will too, and this under-estimation could actually become our secret weapon. We're considered a soft touch? Bring it on!

Another consideration is - If crowds are allowed back, who will benefit more than others vs last season?

Argyle's support at Home Park, and arguably even more so away from home, carries the team impressively when called upon. More so than lots of teams at this level. That's worth a half-goal head start in itself.