• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)

Next Labour Leader

Feb 24, 2008
Torpoint
The Beeb is biased in favour of the right wing. They were incredibly slow in reporting the protests this weekend and before that the Million Mask March which saw millions protesting around the world.

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":39e4atn3 said:
The Beeb is biased in favour of the right wing. They were incredibly slow in reporting the protests this weekend and before that the Million Mask March which saw millions protesting around the world.

Maybe it's because of their left wing bias during the election, expecting a labour win - now that their masters are the Tories and not a coalition they are playing it safe.

Feb 24, 2008
Torpoint
Greenrod":10j8ctjd said:
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":10j8ctjd said:

Maybe it's because of their left wing bias during the election, expecting a labour win - now that their masters are the Tories and not a coalition they are playing it safe.

Except the Million Mask March was in November.

Besides, Labour aren't left.

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
Pogleswoody":3fjcqi61 said:
forever green":3fjcqi61 said:
Has to be Chucka umunna.

I like him because: He gets knocked down, but he gets up again. No, you're never gonna keep him down! :coat:

Andy Burnham - should have got it in 2010 but lost out to the Bros fans!

Not Chumbawumba :lol:

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
I only caught the last five minutes of his interview with Andrew Marr yesterday but it was clear that Chuka Umunna is in a different league to dear old Ed. He was poised, polished, articulate and relaxed enough for a hint of personality to come through.

He robustly defended Labour’s record on the economy and said that allowing the Tories to constantly peddle the story that the recession was all due to Labour’s profligate spending was a major reason for the defeat – he convincingly reeled off a string of facts that show what simplistic nonsense that is. It was a stark contrast to Ed Milliband’s performance during the campaign when a member of the Question Time audience harangued him for Labour’s economic incompetence and Ed blinked wide-eyed then just smiled and then said something wet like “well we’re not going to agree”. As I said I didn’t see all of the interview, but he seemed to be playing for the middle ground stressing the need to appeal to “aspiration” and convincing people that Labour was business friendly. Good performance I thought.

The Doctor

Lowey Sponsor
Sep 15, 2003
jerryatricjanner":2f8qa1jo said:
People always so quick to deride the right wing or centre press but what about the left wing bias of the Mirror, Independent, Guardian, the BBC etc?

It's ridiculous to suggest that the Independent and the BBC are biased towards the left.

The Independent strives very hard to be unbiased and, in my opinion, does a good job of this despite its endorsement of a continuation of the Tory/Lib Dem coalition the day before the election (hardly a left wing bias there eh?).

As for the BBC... well, all I can see is that the BBC is becoming increasingly forced to toe the Conservative Party/Establishment line. It is in such fear of losing its Charter and the licence fee or having these modified by the previous and current Governments that it is afraid to utter anything that could be construed as a criticism.

It seems to me that the Independent is probably just about as independent as it is possible for a newspaper to be and the BBC is completely in the thrall of the Conservative Party/Government.

Apr 15, 2008
London
The Indie is a bit wishy-washy and sensationalist (every front page is about the impending end of the world), but hard to pin down as biased towards one party (or take seriously for that matter). Besides, no one actually reads it (unless you get it free at the Travel Lodge) The BBC's news coverage is unbiased to the point of being bland (apart from the bias or anything that happens in the US is infinitely more newsworthy than anything in Europe or the rest of the world).

I can't abide Radio Current affairs, Newsnight et al as it seems to be a shouty extension of PMQs - all sensationalist and finger pointing. It's not biased so much as being a platform for a presenter's ego/interrogation skills.

Oct 9, 2003
Aberdeen
Ave_IT":209x0a0d said:
I only caught the last five minutes of his interview with Andrew Marr yesterday but it was clear that Chuka Umunna is in a different league to dear old Ed. He was poised, polished, articulate and relaxed enough for a hint of personality to come through.

He robustly defended Labour’s record on the economy and said that allowing the Tories to constantly peddle the story that the recession was all due to Labour’s profligate spending was a major reason for the defeat – he convincingly reeled off a string of facts that show what simplistic nonsense that is. It was a stark contrast to Ed Milliband’s performance during the campaign when a member of the Question Time audience harangued him for Labour’s economic incompetence and Ed blinked wide-eyed then just smiled and then said something wet like “well we’re not going to agree”. As I said I didn’t see all of the interview, but he seemed to be playing for the middle ground stressing the need to appeal to “aspiration” and convincing people that Labour was business friendly. Good performance I thought.

I agree with almost every bit of that Ave_IT. Yet to be seen how he performs under pressure of course, but he's always impressed on BBC QT with his calm authority. It's also interesting that he presents himself very well - shiny suits, neat and tidy - sounds daft but image counts and you can see him appealing to middle England voters who have no regard for politics per se.

I'd suggest he would be the one the Tories would fear most.

On the flip side, I'd quite like to see Andy Burnham or Yvette Cooper get the job - closely associated with past failures. ;)

Apr 15, 2008
London
He seems to tick most of the boxes and as a right-leaning mp might make them electable again... wonder if he'll suffer from his coronation by the Prince of Darkness, though. And that girlfriend appeared very quickly, didn't she? I believe they have been very much in love for a while (well, since Friday morning ;)

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
crownhillpilgrim":3g0fenyz said:
He seems to tick most of the boxes and as a right-leaning mp might make them electable again... wonder if he'll suffer from his coronation by the Prince of Darkness, though. And that girlfriend appeared very quickly, didn't she? I believe they have been very much in love for a while (well, since Friday morning ;)

If he is sensible he will go for Mayor of London and build up a power base from City Hall.

Labour could end up with Ed Balls. There is a rumour that Geofrey Robinson is standing down from Coventry North West. So Balls could be sent to Coventry.

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
If Chuka Umunna won't take over the reigns of the Labour party this time round, he'll have to be an odds-on favourite at some point down the line. My only problem with him leading the party is that he's younger than me: at least Andy Burnham is older than me by a couple of months :(

Jan 23, 2005
Quinny":2fz2g047 said:
If Chuka Umunna won't take over the reigns of the Labour party this time round, he'll have to be an odds-on favourite at some point down the line. My only problem with him leading the party is that he's younger than me: at least Andy Burnham is older than me by a couple of months :(

But isn't age a state of mind?. Mozart composed his first symphony aged 8, Pitt the younger was Prime Minister at 24.
As they say if you're good enough :thumbup:

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
t._green":2p8pfot1 said:
Quinny":2p8pfot1 said:

But isn't age a state of mind?. Mozart composed his first symphony aged 8, Pitt the younger was Prime Minister at 24.

And what about Joey Essex :roll:

Jan 23, 2005
pilgrimage":39f2mx1m said:
t._green":39f2mx1m said:
Quinny":39f2mx1m said:

And what about Joey Essex :roll:

Sorry Pilgrimage, celebrities you have to look up don't count :eh: