• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

Next Labour Leader

A

andyr1963

Sacking Hilary Benn overnight, other resignations expected.

Let now be the time that Labour grass roots takes back control. Corbyn had a massive election victory in case people have forgotten.

Time the discontents put up or shut up or better still get out of the Labour Party all together. The Party as a collective, now over 600,000 strong do not agree with Labour MP's who want the Corbyn leadership out.

It is the rebellion that is out of step with the Party not the Leadership.

One of the few positives to be taken from last thursday's result is that the public as a whole now realise they do have power and it is possible to use that power with a voting slip.

Would it be possible for the Labour Party to reject renewal subscriptions to the Party? (Just a thought like :shock: )

It is going to take radical action to separate the Blairite right of the Party from its true roots.

The rebellious MP's do not seem understand that they are a big part of the problem.

Give us back control. :thumbs:

Jul 3, 2014
Bere Alston
Well including Benn that's 5 members of the Shadow Cabinet gone so far today.

If Corbyn survives (and I think he will based on there membership) then Labour will not win an election anytime soon.

Jul 29, 2010
They're a joke. Just when you need an effective opposition to counter balance the excesses of Toryism, they fight amongst themselves.

Corbyn needs to do the honourable thing and make Labour electable again, or at least effective again. Their leadership process would make a sloth look like Usain Bolt, if he drags on they'll still be in disarray if Bojo calls an early election...not that he has to, he has his mandate.

Keepitgreen

Lowey Sponsor
50/50 Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
NHS Cake Donor
T.O Support
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
That's 12 of the Shadow cabinet gone. JC says he's not going though. Got to be good news for the Tories.

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
X Isle":2s62687a said:
They're a joke. Just when you need an effective opposition to counter balance the excesses of Toryism, they fight amongst themselves.

Corbyn needs to do the honourable thing and make Labour electable again, or at least effective again. Their leadership process would make a sloth look like Usain Bolt, if he drags on they'll still be in disarray if Bojo calls an early election...not that he has to, he has his mandate.

So many logic gaps, as usual, but just two for now:

1- dragging on the leadership election process - that is called democracy, it takes time, and anyway, it is not certain that the Tory process will be any quicker.
2 - Boris has as much mandate to run the country as I do. Cameron hardly had a mandate given the numerical stupidity of our archaic voting system, but leaving that aside, I suspect a lot of Tory voters would rather have bathed in a puddle of ostrich vomit rather than vote for that spunktrumpet

Keepitgreen

Lowey Sponsor
50/50 Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
NHS Cake Donor
T.O Support
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
16 now gone. It's going to be an interesting few days for Labour.

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
I like JC's political stance, but if the stories coming out over the weekend are true that he and his team intentionally torpedoed the Labour #Remain campaign (and there is plenty of evidence to suggest he did) then he can eff off. I had my suspicions about him as (a) his personal views on the EU was well known; (b) was pretty much anonymous for most of the referendum campaign; (c) when he was finally dragged out into public for the #Remain fight, refused to share a platform with any of the Tories and, rather than put up a fight for the EU, decided to spend his time attacking the US/EU TTIP agreement. I decided he wasn't the right person to lead the party anymore when I listened to him on the radio on Friday morning when he sounded like ... like ... a politician, giving preset, ambiguous answers to the result: disappointed, well fought campaign, up to the PM as to when to activate Article 50, blah, blah, blah. He couldn't have sounded more uninterested in the whole affair if he tried. He should have been effing fuming over the result: he should have been laying into Cameron/Osborne as any half-effective opposition leader would have done. Probably the most emotional response about the result came from Tim bloody Farron (remember him? Leader of the LibDems?)

I had a FB conversation with a friend of mine over the weekend (he's very pro-Corbyn) and I pretty much decided that, as much as I agree with much of Corbyn's politics and it being great that there is a true left-leaning leader of the Labour Party, I feel he isn't the person to take the party forward. I would happily accept a life of living in opposition in Parliament if Corbyn and Labour harried, fought, and made life miserable as hell for the Tories in every Bill they put towards the House. But they don't. Labour should be creaming the Tories in the opinion polls, but they aren't. I know Corbyn is popular with grass-roots Labour members, but is the party any better off now than it was a year or so ago? No. If anything it has gone backwards. Even his school-teacher approach to PMQ is starting to irritate the hell out of me.

When he took over, nearly all the 'big guns' in the Labour Party refused to support him or work in his Cabinet and slinked off to the back-benches, leaving Corbyn no option other than to pick a second-string Cabinet (bar probably Hilary Benn). Now most of those have buggered off, meaning Corbyn has to scour the back-benches to find people to fill those places. Will they be any more effective as an opposition party? No.

So TL;DR - Corbyn has to go. I want an effective opposition: I want a Labour Party with a realistic chance of winning an election. You won't get either under Corbyn. And his performance and approach to the referendum is unforgivable in my eyes.

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Keepitgreen":1wy8tch0 said:
16 now gone. It's going to be an interesting few days for Labour.

Has there ever been a time when both the sitting and main opposition parties in the House are fighting a leadership campaign? Without doubt we're living in an era which will be picked over with interest by historians in a 100 years time.

cheshiregreen

NHS Cake Donor
Foodbank Donor
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
I'd like to see this decided by a penalty shoot out.

Corbyn and Tom Watson taking penalties on Whitehall with Boris in goal would be quite a spectacle. :)

Keepitgreen

Lowey Sponsor
50/50 Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
NHS Cake Donor
T.O Support
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
So he's lost 20 of his 31 strong cabinet plus another 13 shadow ministers have resigned. It's getting a bit like cricket, 33 not out.

Jul 3, 2014
Bere Alston
Up to 34 now, can't believe what a mess the Labour party is making of this, if he was actually putting the party and the country first he would resign, I have the feeling he will win the leadership contest again and then not have many MP's willing to serve in his shadow cabinet.

God help him if the new Tory leader can force a snap election, you could see them being down less than 100 MP's.