• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)

Next Labour Leader

Oct 9, 2003
Aberdeen
So, after a bruising General Election, who is the right person to change Labour's fortunes - and how to they re-engage the floating voters ?

Apr 19, 2006
near Aberdeen
Given the generally positive reactions to the three (well, two out of three perhaps) women party leaders in the recent campaign I'd say there's a fair chance the Brothers may turn to the Sisters.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Chuka Umunna. Young, articulate, ethnic, looks good, good on telly, and would be the first Prime Minister to have three U's in his name. Shoe-in then!

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Frank_Butcher":27eorid1 said:
Aren't Cooper, Burnham and Umunna tainted with failure ? There seems to be a lot of love for Dan Jarvis amongst the grass roots.
Don't think so Frank. If you showed their photos to random people in the street what percentage do you think could name them? I'd be impressed if it reached double figures for any of them.

Oct 9, 2003
Aberdeen
Ave_IT":2etz8wtj said:
Frank_Butcher":2etz8wtj said:
Aren't Cooper, Burnham and Umunna tainted with failure ? There seems to be a lot of love for Dan Jarvis amongst the grass roots.
Don't think so Frank. If you showed their photos to random people in the street what percentage do you think could name them? I'd be impressed if it reached double figures for any of them.

Which is perhaps quite revealing in itself given what's just happened....

John Mann, a Northern, straight-talking, true Labourite said the last thing the party needs is yet another former special adviser as leader. He said that Labour should go for someone with life experience and re-capture public empathy. It's an interesting view and kind of feels right for the party, but I wonder if a) it will ever happen, and b) whether it would even work.
For me, Blair made Labour electable, but he probably changed the voting demographic forever to the detriment of traditional left-wing Labour. A big price to pay for true values ?

A

andyr1963

pedro91":1wasxra1 said:
It's a pity Derek Skinner is way too old.
Is he still in politics?

Proper warrior. :thumbs:

Never ever in a million years. :greensmile:

A genuinely honest grounded politician. One of the very few. :nworthy:

jerryatricjanner

Lowey Sponsor
Apr 22, 2006
I don't think the public will warm to another union foisted candidate any more than they did Ed Milliband and the labour party will go too far left at their own peril. The candidate will need to be an electable person as well rather than a skilled orator or politician like Michael Foot or William Hague neither of whom were really deemed electable by the public when leading their respective parties.