• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)

Next Labour Leader

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Chuka Umunna. Young, articulate, ethnic, looks good, good on telly, and would be the first Prime Minister to have three U's in his name. Shoe-in then!

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Frank_Butcher":27eorid1 said:
Aren't Cooper, Burnham and Umunna tainted with failure ? There seems to be a lot of love for Dan Jarvis amongst the grass roots.
Don't think so Frank. If you showed their photos to random people in the street what percentage do you think could name them? I'd be impressed if it reached double figures for any of them.

Ave_IT":2etz8wtj said:
Frank_Butcher":2etz8wtj said:
Aren't Cooper, Burnham and Umunna tainted with failure ? There seems to be a lot of love for Dan Jarvis amongst the grass roots.
Don't think so Frank. If you showed their photos to random people in the street what percentage do you think could name them? I'd be impressed if it reached double figures for any of them.

Which is perhaps quite revealing in itself given what's just happened....

John Mann, a Northern, straight-talking, true Labourite said the last thing the party needs is yet another former special adviser as leader. He said that Labour should go for someone with life experience and re-capture public empathy. It's an interesting view and kind of feels right for the party, but I wonder if a) it will ever happen, and b) whether it would even work.
For me, Blair made Labour electable, but he probably changed the voting demographic forever to the detriment of traditional left-wing Labour. A big price to pay for true values ?

jerryatricjanner

Lowey Sponsor
Apr 22, 2006
I don't think the public will warm to another union foisted candidate any more than they did Ed Milliband and the labour party will go too far left at their own peril. The candidate will need to be an electable person as well rather than a skilled orator or politician like Michael Foot or William Hague neither of whom were really deemed electable by the public when leading their respective parties.

Lots of commentary about how Labour has to decide what it stands for, but to me the choice is a stark one.

- Stick to principled beliefs, combat the SNP by moving to the left - but risk being unelectable in England.
- Return to Blairism, centrist policies - become electable but hold your nose while you're doing it.

And the party commentators seem split on which way to go.

Feb 24, 2008
Torpoint
I think the Labour Party needs to move to the left. It looks like some people don't think Labour offer enough of an alternative so were put off voting for them. The Lib Dems were always going to struggle, whilst the Green Party are perhaps a step too far to the left for most.

Purely in my opinion, we are starting to see a divide form and as the Government moves right this week, we need a larger left wing presence in opposition.

Sep 18, 2009
The new leader needs to be different to Ed Milliband in order to be more appealing to Murdoch and Lord Rothermere. So he or she would need to be anti EU for the Sun and the Times. But what would they need to be more appealing to the Daily Mail? ......... oh yeah! I know.

jerryatricjanner

Lowey Sponsor
Apr 22, 2006
People always so quick to deride the right wing or centre press but what about the left wing bias of the Mirror, Independent, Guardian, the BBC etc?