✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Ollie Watkins, born in Newton Abbot

Transfers:
18 July 2017 Exeter to Brentford on a four-year contract, with an option for a further year, for an undisclosed fee, reported to be £1.8 million.

9 September 2020 Brentford to Aston Villa on a five-year contract, for a £28 million fee, which could rise to £33 million.

To make millions from a transfer, Argyle have to be in the Championship at least - and for that player to have demonstrated their skill and worth at a high level.

Just seen it's been done already, but it's the sell-on clauses that are crucial. So Exeter did make millions from that deal.

If you really wanted to have a little gamble and if the buying club was desperate, negotiating a much lower transfer fee but a 40-50% sell on clause (I'm not sure if that ever happens) then you'd be seriously quids-in if the player moved on to the Premier League.

Two gaping holes in Argyle at the moment, are lack of training ground/academy and lack of big transfer fees coming in, The two are linked (y)

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Just seen it's been done already, but it's the sell-on clauses that are crucial. So Exeter did make millions from that deal.

If you really wanted to have a little gamble and if the buying club was desperate, negotiating a much lower transfer fee but a 40-50% sell on clause (I'm not sure if that ever happens) then you'd be seriously quids-in if the player moved on to the Premier League.

Two gaping holes in Argyle at the moment, are lack of training ground/academy and lack of big transfer fees coming in, The two are linked (y)

Just wait. They’ll be a big money transfer soon enough.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
So why do clubs need so many pitches?

8-15 pitches???

May 16, 2016
Exeter have certainly done well from the occasional big money transfers of some of their players but are they not usually in the way of sell on fees sometime after leaving their academy and having benefited from further/ better coaching? How much of it is luck in getting a naturally gifted player come into their system. Nature over nurture.

As for their current good start to the season, they've yet to play a full strength 'big hitter' and they do seem to be good good at reguarly going on a really good run, amassing the points to cushion the inevitable regular really bad run they hit.

Good luck to them this season, but as we could more than fill their place just with our ST holders, it's worth thinking it's also good to NOT have to rely on the 1 in whatever starlets turning out good. Not the most sustainable or reliable of business plans.

Reactions: saxman

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Exeter have certainly done well from the occasional big money transfers of some of their players but are they not usually in the way of sell on fees sometime after leaving their academy and having benefited from further/ better coaching? How much of it is luck in getting a naturally gifted player come into their system. Nature over nurture.

It’s not luck if they and their parents are choosing Exeter over Argyle in the first place, because of their superior facilities and coaching.

SMG

Oct 22, 2021
It’s not luck if they and their parents are choosing Exeter over Argyle in the first place, because of their superior facilities and coaching.

Fair play to them, shows the region has the talent too. But now we are now upping our standards and they are not standing still either. It's good for Cornwall & Devon that there will be good facilities and coaching at atleast 2 clubs.

Hopefully over time we can cement a very good reputation in our academy. It's noticeable down in Cornwall how many more parents and kids are talking about PAFC and I hear good things from a friend of mine who has a son in one of our younger categories.

Mar 29, 2011
So why do clubs need so many pitches?

8-15 pitches???
These pitches are played on most hours of the day, most days of the week. They need rotation and recovery time.

Clubs also replicate oppositions pitches, both in size and how they’re maintained leading up to games. I believe St George’s Park has an exact replica of Wembley, using the same turf and size to replicate the playing conditions of a home international.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Reading what Andrew Parkinson has to say, I think we shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves. The first hurdles would be planning permission being approved and the purchase of the site is conditional of that. I think it'll be a couple of seasons before any site opens here.

Dec 4, 2011
Reading what Andrew Parkinson has to say, I think we shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves. The first hurdles would be planning permission being approved and the purchase of the site is conditional of that. I think it'll be a couple of seasons before any site opens here.

Possibly but could it be that we install proper drainage and resurface at least the 2 main pitches that are on site in the summer of 2023 ready for the 23/24 pre season?
Ok I appreciate that the built facilities will still be the existing and not up to an appropriate standard but we would at least have 2 additional pitches that we could use.

Hallett and Parkinson are playing it right I think in that they are not over promising but I assume that we would want some use of it fairly early on.

Last edited:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I've got one son in grass roots and one son in the academy ( previously grass roots). The grass roots teams they play / played for had / have settled pitches ( some with changing rooms and kiosks etc). The academy boy trains in different locations sometimes at a day's notice and plays on a range of pitches subject to availability. Ivybridge school is the main training venue and the astro there has recently been refurbished.
So I'm not sure Argyle's pitch progress is at the expense of grass roots - maybe just levelling up !
And the senior players have similar issues re gym training etc it seems.
Argyle have been able to be complacent with young Cornish players who have no realistic option but Argyle - but when it comes to places like Newton Abbot ( Ollie Watkins) it can be about choice. I know another young pro, a regular in Exeters first team who was offered a place at Argyle and Exeter, at 15, and chose Exeter.
To put a perspective on numbers there are usually about 10-18 players in each year of the academy , depending on age group, compared to many thousands of the same age group playing at grass roots in Devon & Cornwall. It would be nice for them to be rewarded with something like Cliff Hill to call home. Cliff Hill isn't paradise, like Bristol City's new one appears to be, but it is something.
Any current success of Argyle's academy, I would suggest, would be despite the facilities and therefore due to recruitment, coaching and pathways to first team etc.
There is an insight into academy football, a new series starting tonight on Channel Four at 9pm.

Reactions: The Pasty Kid
Jun 27, 2019
There is an insight into academy football, a new series starting tonight on Channel Four at 9pm.
It's about Crystal Palace/south London, just like Sky's recent academy doc.

I know south London is getting a lot of attention at the moment but there are other academies in England.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
It's about Crystal Palace/south London, just like Sky's recent academy doc.

I know south London is getting a lot of attention at the moment but there are other academies in England.
I don't think it matters which club they are filming at, the focus is on the kids and the pressures that are involved for people so young.