Torquay United
Exeter City
Cheltenham Town
Crystal Palace
Nottingham Forest
Cardiff City
Swansea City
Manchester City

The majority of these are incredible facilities and hugely better than what we currently have.

if we are going to compete and attract players an excellent training complex is essential. This is a step in the right direction.

• Wow
Reactions: saxman

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
That we're way behind even Swindon, Cheltenham and Torquay is mindblowing really.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
So I have been to the following training grounds in the past few years:
WBA
Ipswich Town
Aston Villa
Bristol City
Brighton
Swindon Town
Bristol Rovers
Torquay United
Exeter City
Cheltenham Town
Crystal Palace
Nottingham Forest
Cardiff City
Swansea City
Manchester City

The majority of these are incredible facilities and hugely better than what we currently have.

if we are going to compete and attract players an excellent training complex is essential. This is a step in the right direction.
I know that this is a personal question and so, obviously, you don't have any obligation whatsoever to answer it but as someone who has never been anywhere near even a single football club training ground in my life (apart from walking and running past Harper's Park many times) I'm fascinated to know what it is you do or are involved with that has taken you to so many?!

Reactions: saxman
Oct 23, 2013
Thanks for really interesting recent posts giving some more context re the size of training sites etc. Pleasing to see that the overwhelming response of posters is actually positive even if there is a degree of realism as we don't have details of the project. No development will be a magic wand and the elements needed for progress are varied. I think that financial reward will most often be the prime motivation for attracting established pros but it is too simplistic to see that as the only criteria. It also fails to recognise the impact this will have on developing and attracting young players. In my opinion this development is a real opportunity. It will obviously have to be managed well to maximise it's impact but well done Argyle.

Sep 18, 2010
I know that this is a personal question and so, obviously, you don't have any obligation whatsoever to answer it but as someone who has never been anywhere near even a single football club training ground in my life (apart from walking and running past Harper's Park many times) I'm fascinated to know what it is you do or are involved with that has taken you to so many?!
Hi. No worries, I will DM you.

Reactions: The Doctor

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I think that financial reward will most often be the prime motivation for attracting established pros but it is too simplistic to see that as the only criteria. It also fails to recognise the impact this will have on developing and attracting young players. In my opinion this development is a real opportunity.

Yeah I think Oldage has a kernel of a point with the pay being the main consideration, but a level-headed and ambitious player will also look at the state of the club as a whole. Is it moving in the right direction, will it help his career and does it mean business? Obviously a club without even a training ground probably doesn't scream that it's going places.

Also if you are going to relocate hundreds of miles, it's even more important that the workplace you're relocating to is decent. If I had that view, plus a gym, restaurant, leisure spaces and (being greedy) a swimming pool as my office... it would certainly push me over the edge.

Last edited:

PutneyPete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ PASALB Member
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
Jun 23, 2005
London (Putney)
I've got one son in grass roots and one son in the academy ( previously grass roots). The grass roots teams they play / played for had / have settled pitches ( some with changing rooms and kiosks etc). The academy boy trains in different locations sometimes at a day's notice and plays on a range of pitches subject to availability. Ivybridge school is the main training venue and the astro there has recently been refurbished.
So I'm not sure Argyle's pitch progress is at the expense of grass roots - maybe just levelling up !
And the senior players have similar issues re gym training etc it seems.
Argyle have been able to be complacent with young Cornish players who have no realistic option but Argyle - but when it comes to places like Newton Abbot ( Ollie Watkins) it can be about choice. I know another young pro, a regular in Exeters first team who was offered a place at Argyle and Exeter, at 15, and chose Exeter.
To put a perspective on numbers there are usually about 10-18 players in each year of the academy , depending on age group, compared to many thousands of the same age group playing at grass roots in Devon & Cornwall. It would be nice for them to be rewarded with something like Cliff Hill to call home. Cliff Hill isn't paradise, like Bristol City's new one appears to be, but it is something.
Any current success of Argyle's academy, I would suggest, would be despite the facilities and therefore due to recruitment, coaching and pathways to first team etc.
Exeter City Cliff Hill training ground - new buildings to replace building "at the Cliff Hill Training Ground, as has come to the end of its useful life". Given that they own the ground, the new building contract is for £3 million.
Old buildings ...

Exeter Cliff Hill old 2.jpg

PutneyPete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ PASALB Member
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
Jun 23, 2005
London (Putney)

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Maybe not from the large amount of fans they attract but as much as we are meant to hate them, I think we should look on in envy which I think we do as they have something we don't, the ability to make good money from player sales.
Plymouth prices.... never heard of Exeter prices

Reactions: Jim Furnells Shirt
Nov 18, 2011
At the risk of straying off topic a bit, my mate is an ECFC fan (poor misguided fool) and has pointed me towards the Exeweb site this morning. They are purring over the fact that in demolishing Cheltenham last night they finished with nine academy players on the pitch, and are wondering how long it will be until they field a team of 11 of their own.
Not going to lie, I'm pretty jealous of that. I'd be harping about it myself if Argyle managed something like that.

It goes to show that there's talent in the area but we need to have first dibs on it, right now a lot of it is going to Exeter and who can blame them with their better training facilities and proven track record.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
They should be proud as well.

Mind you if it were us they were Janners we'd get on their back within weeks of putting a green shirt on.

• Haha