New away shirt announced | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

New away shirt announced

Your initial thoughts on the new away shirt?

• I like it

Votes: 216 78.5%
  • I don't like it

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 25 9.1%

• Total voters
Jul 20, 2019
For those who were about in 1996, when argyle released the original shirt was it popular and did it go down well with the fans at the time? Was it in reference to anything or was it a bit random/surprising when released then?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Sometime in July Phil. I'm sure that was said somewhere by PAFC.

Reactions: Emu
Mar 1, 2005
Southampton
Do we have a date yet for when the away kits will be on sale?
I think they might have been officially revealed, but not officially launched yet. It should be a few days after the videos and photos of the players wearing the full away kit (including the secret shorts and socks) I would have thought.

Reactions: Emu

smudja

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 29, 2005
Glenrothes
Good thing about the away kit... the stripes.. could be sponsored by Johnnie Walker!

Lie down if you love the stripes!

Jun 27, 2019
For those who were about in 1996, when argyle released the original shirt was it popular and did it go down well with the fans at the time? Was it in reference to anything or was it a bit random/surprising when released then?
It was released in 1995 but there was no Pasoti back then so I have no recollection of how it was received by fans. It was of its time, though. It was quite trendy back then to chuck a few arty graphics onto football shirts - the 90s wasn't a very subtle decade.

All I can remember about that summer is a great deal of excitement because, even though we'd been relegated to the bottom division for the first time ever, Neil Warnock had arrived and spent a load of money on the likes of Adrian Littlejohn, Paul Williams and Ronnie Mauge. Our first game of the season away to Colchester was billed as a David versus Goliath contest, such was our status as big-spending heavyweights.

I think the kit was a bit overshadowed by all that. All I can remember about it is that the Football League wouldn't let us wear it for the Wembley final because it had too much white in it and would clash with Darlington's kit. Argyle somehow got a quick re-design sorted and a new version of the kit was produced that had a couple of extra black stripes covering some of the white bits.

After the final, Dan McCauley ordered the squad to hand in their shirts so he could put them in some kind of Argyle museum he wanted to set up. Many players refused and I remember it getting quite ugly.

Those shirts would probably be worth a few quid now as they were only ever worn for one match (at Wembley, no less) and only a few would have been made.

Mark Smith

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
It was released in 1995 but there was no Pasoti back then so I have no recollection of how it was received by fans. It was of its time, though. It was quite trendy back then to chuck a few arty graphics onto football shirts - the 90s wasn't a very subtle decade.

All I can remember about that summer is a great deal of excitement because, even though we'd been relegated to the bottom division for the first time ever, Neil Warnock had arrived and spent a load of money on the likes of Adrian Littlejohn, Paul Williams and Ronnie Mauge. Our first game of the season away to Colchester was billed as a David versus Goliath contest, such was our status as big-spending heavyweights.

I think the kit was a bit overshadowed by all that. All I can remember about it is that the Football League wouldn't let us wear it for the Wembley final because it had too much white in it and would clash with Darlington's kit. Argyle somehow got a quick re-design sorted and a new version of the kit was produced that had a couple of extra black stripes covering some of the white bits.

After the final, Dan McCauley ordered the squad to hand in their shirts so he could put them in some kind of Argyle museum he wanted to set up. Many players refused and I remember it getting quite ugly.

Those shirts would probably be worth a few quid now as they were only ever worn for one match (at Wembley, no less) and only a few would have been made.

Objection, your honour, Pasoti was alive and kicking in 1995. Not sure if Dave or anyone kept the old mailing list files, though. It would be very interesting to troll through some of the early stuff.

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
When I saw the Blast from the Past thread, I thought that that was zackly what it was - original threads from the 90s, and expected to see 'Wrong shade of green' as Pasoti Post #1.

Jun 27, 2019
Objection, your honour, Pasoti was alive and kicking in 1995. Not sure if Dave or anyone kept the old mailing list files, though. It would be very interesting to troll through some of the early stuff.
Maybe, but it would have been very different to what it is today and used by hardly anyone.

Jul 8, 2016
The only major clash of kits will be away at FGR and at a guess i reckon Argyle will wear the away shirt with white shorts and white socks - a one off. Or perhaps FGR will change there hideous lime green kit to the even more hideous luminous pink kit.

Other than that the new kits are all spot on and id gladly take them for the next 2 seasons rather than just the 1. Thoughts??

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
The only major clash of kits will be away at FGR and at a guess i reckon Argyle will wear the away shirt with white shorts and white socks - a one off. Or perhaps FGR will change there hideous lime green kit to the even more hideous luminous pink kit.

Other than that the new kits are all spot on and id gladly take them for the next 2 seasons rather than just the 1. Thoughts??

Totally agree. It would fit with the club's environmental stance and 'holistic' approach to have the shirts for two years.

BUT it's a hell of a lot of money to lose out on and easy for us to say, so you'd have to release something next year. I think staggered shirt releases with a two year lifespan make a lot of sense.

Reactions: PL2 Pilgrim