My Team | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

My Team

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
McLaren

Wotton, Marker, Coughlan

Nisbet, Sullivan

Burnside, Friio, Piper

Mariner, Rafferty

Manager: Dave Smith (although there are quite a few good 'uns to choose from)

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
McLaren

Wotton, Marker, Coughlan

Nisbet, Sullivan

Burnside, Friio, Piper

Mariner, Rafferty

Manager: Dave Smith (although there are quite a few good 'uns to choose from)
So if you saw Maclaren did you see Wilf Carter? And you must have seen Machin and Steve McCall?

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
Larrieu, Connolly, Coughlan, M. Smith, Sawyer, Norris, Friio, Castle, Dalton, Tynan, Ebanks-Blake

Subs : McCormick, Patterson, Timar, McCall, Halmosi, Evans, Wright-Phillips

Feb 15, 2005
Larrieu
Nisbet
Mark Smith
Nicky Marker
Bhashera
Norris
Castle
Friio
Dalton
Tynan
Evans

subs:
Coughlan
Hodges K
Marshall
Carey
McCall
M Cooper

May 13, 2022
My first ever Argyle match was a home win against Hull City. I seem to remember that was in order to get a voucher for the FA Cup Quarter Final game against Derby County. My second game was that very fixture and my third Argyle game was the FA Cup Semi Final against Watford at Villa Park.

Somehow, though, that wasn't enough to capture my imagination. It wasn't until 1985 that, after I complained of being bored, my mum sent me to Argyle with enough money for the return bus fare, entry to the game and a half-time pasty that I actually started to fall in love with Argyle. In spite of losing 1-0 to Reading, something clicked that that day, because I came back for more and kept coming back until life took me into exile in my early 20s.

That's a rather longwinded way of leading up to the point that 'My Team' would largely be the players from the 1985/86 promotion-winning squad – they were my original Argyle heroes. I'm fortunate enough to have a signed copy of Dave Smith's Promotion Diary.

I think I'd sub Geoff Crudginton for Super Luke, and I'd try to find room for Chuck in midfield (I just really enjoyed watching Norris play) and get Trigger in there somewhere (completely shamed myself on the two occasions I met him in person by 'introducing' myself by pointing straight at him and yelping 'TRIGGER!' in some weird high-pitched voice that I never knew I possessed), so it would be something along the lines of…

McCormick
Nisbet, Uzzell, G. McElhinney, L. Cooper
Hodges, Norris, Coughlan, Nelson
Tynan, Trigger

Is it just me or did players seem to hang around for longer back in the day? Did that make them easier to love, even if they weren't so good? Maybe we got to know more of their character back in the day. I don't know. What I do know that it's been a lot of years since I was any Argyle player endeared themselves to me. Maybe it's age, perhaps it's exile…?​

Sep 3, 2011
I have been sat bored awaiting news of incoming and outgoings , dreading the threads of best team etc

so I thought a great thread would be to look at my all time team and the reasons why, they will not be the best, or most popular players, but those that stick in my mind, so hear goes

GK - Allan Nichols - saw him for the reserves before he made his first team debut and he was a real crazy horse, bought the game alive and had real character was taken from us far too early

RB - Gary Poole a real sense of something about to happen when he signed , I remember being at the club shop and for the first time in a while felt something different

CD- Tony James made the most remarkable save with a full length dive with his head in front of the Devonport end, so impressed I named my son James!

CD - Elliot Ward this guy just has charisma and made me want streaked long hair, but just loved watching him

LB - Tony Capaldi great guy, my sons favourite player and when he broke his leg, my son wrote to him , he not only responded but at the next game came and speak to James to say thanks awesome

RW - Martin Phillips - scored against us for Portsmouth on 21st July 2000 , I wasn’t there as my son chose to be born that evening and I couldn’t get to the game

CM - David Friio Gaelic charm , and a player that got me off my seat, rediscovered my love for Argyle thanks to him

CM - Russell Coughlin as a boy I saw him as a super hero , just tough as old boots and always gave 100%

LW - Paul Dalton remember that dink over the head of the defender and then on to score, I still dream about that 30 odd years later

CF - Tommy Tynan loved his ability, arrogance and knowing he would score , proper shorts, proper kit and memories in the old lyndhurst stand of getting crushed in 85 , those were the days!

CF - Dave Regis embarrassing but met the guy in a supermarket, got his autograph on a till receipt in the late 80s , was so proud of it but looking back realised how sad I must have looked

Manager - Ian Holloway, for all of his faults his team played great football, but more importantly he had a great personality and made me laugh

Some are not the best or the most popular, but they all contributed to be being a Plymouth Argyle fan and for that I will always be grateful

I have been sat bored awaiting news of incoming and outgoings , dreading the threads of best team etc

so I thought a great thread would be to look at my all time team and the reasons why, they will not be the best, or most popular players, but those that stick in my mind, so hear goes

GK - Allan Nichols - saw him for the reserves before he made his first team debut and he was a real crazy horse, bought the game alive and had real character was taken from us far too early

RB - Gary Poole a real sense of something about to happen when he signed , I remember being at the club shop and for the first time in a while felt something different

CD- Tony James made the most remarkable save with a full length dive with his head in front of the Devonport end, so impressed I named my son James!

CD - Elliot Ward this guy just has charisma and made me want streaked long hair, but just loved watching him

LB - Tony Capaldi great guy, my sons favourite player and when he broke his leg, my son wrote to him , he not only responded but at the next game came and speak to James to say thanks awesome

RW - Martin Phillips - scored against us for Portsmouth on 21st July 2000 , I wasn’t there as my son chose to be born that evening and I couldn’t get to the game

CM - David Friio Gaelic charm , and a player that got me off my seat, rediscovered my love for Argyle thanks to him

CM - Russell Coughlin as a boy I saw him as a super hero , just tough as old boots and always gave 100%

LW - Paul Dalton remember that dink over the head of the defender and then on to score, I still dream about that 30 odd years later

CF - Tommy Tynan loved his ability, arrogance and knowing he would score , proper shorts, proper kit and memories in the old lyndhurst stand of getting crushed in 85 , those were the days!

CF - Dave Regis embarrassing but met the guy in a supermarket, got his autograph on a till receipt in the late 80s , was so proud of it but looking back realised how sad I must have looked

Manager - Ian Holloway, for all of his faults his team played great football, but more importantly he had a great personality and made me laugh

Some are not the best or the most popular, but they all contributed to be being a Plymouth Argyle fan and for that I will always be grateful
Steve McCall has to make the list

Reactions: EastoftheTamar

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
It’s probably my age, as I was only a kid/young teenager during Larrieu’s best years (I’m 26, for context), but whilst he was a great servant to the club, I’ve always thought that McCormick was much better, and I’d also probably pick Cooper ahead of him now. As I say, I may be wrong, just my memory as a younger fan? McCormick, Cooper, Larrieu, Button, Roos, in that order, would be my top 5.

Last edited:

unhinched

🚑 Steve Hooper
Apr 16, 2016
My first ever Argyle match was a home win against Hull City. I seem to remember that was in order to get a voucher for the FA Cup Quarter Final game against Derby County. My second game was that very fixture and my third Argyle game was the FA Cup Semi Final against Watford at Villa Park.

Somehow, though, that wasn't enough to capture my imagination. It wasn't until 1985 that, after I complained of being bored, my mum sent me to Argyle with enough money for the return bus fare, entry to the game and a half-time pasty that I actually started to fall in love with Argyle. In spite of losing 1-0 to Reading, something clicked that that day, because I came back for more and kept coming back until life took me into exile in my early 20s.

That's a rather longwinded way of leading up to the point that 'My Team' would largely be the players from the 1985/86 promotion-winning squad – they were my original Argyle heroes. I'm fortunate enough to have a signed copy of Dave Smith's Promotion Diary.

I think I'd sub Geoff Crudginton for Super Luke, and I'd try to find room for Chuck in midfield (I just really enjoyed watching Norris play) and get Trigger in there somewhere (completely shamed myself on the two occasions I met him in person by 'introducing' myself by pointing straight at him and yelping 'TRIGGER!' in some weird high-pitched voice that I never knew I possessed), so it would be something along the lines of…

McCormick
Nisbet, Uzzell, G. McElhinney, L. Cooper
Hodges, Norris, Coughlan, Nelson
Tynan, Trigger

Is it just me or did players seem to hang around for longer back in the day? Did that make them easier to love, even if they weren't so good? Maybe we got to know more of their character back in the day. I don't know. What I do know that it's been a lot of years since I was any Argyle player endeared themselves to me. Maybe it's age, perhaps it's exile…?​
Good points in your last paragraph. I feel like that too - players seem to move on so quickly, squads may be bigger ( so a 'regular 11' as in that song about the Mariner Rafferty promotion is rare) and definitely less ' characters / individuals. Players are no doubt better technically and fitter today, but I liked it when an attacking player could take a player on without ' keeping possession' being everything.
Larrieu or Furnell
Nisbet Smith Marker Sullivan
Halmosi McCall Castle Buzaky
Mariner Tynan

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Furnell
Nisbet Marker M Smith Sullivan
Norris Buzacky Nalis Halmosi
Mariner Tynan
Subs:
Cooper
Morrison
Siep
Edworthy
Piper
Castle
Dalton
Rafferty
Evans
Very difficult to compare different eras, you can only be the best of your own really. Furnell I remember fondly but modern goalkeeping requires very different skill sets with the keeper unable to pick up a pass back and possession prioritised much more.
I would have liked to include players like Hodge, Coughlan, Wotton, McCall, Machin, Poole, Carey but have largely gone for those who performed consistently at Championship/old division 2 level rather than in the lower leagues for Argyle. I don't include loanees and have overlooked some excellent youngsters like Hodge, Philips and Megson who went on to better things elsewhere.

Nov 18, 2011
GK - Nicholls

RB - Connolly
CB - Heathcote
CB - Coughlan
LB - Williams

CM - Nalis
CM - Friio
CM - McCall

RW - Carey (Not his position I know but I bet could do a good job cutting in on his left foot)
LW - Dalton
CF - Evans

Subs - M Cooper (By the smallest margin over Larrieu), Doumbe, Buzsaky, Halmosi, Castle, Norris, D Marshall

Last edited:

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
And here is mine bringing in some oldies I have watched:

Furnell
Connolly Wotton Chisholm Sullivan
Astall Norris Castle Halmosi
Mariner Carter

Plenty of goals in that team though not so sure about the defence!

May 13, 2021
GK - Cooper

RWB - Connoly
LWB - Grant

CCB - Scarr
RCB - Bradley
LCB - Coughlan

DCM - Nalis
RM - Norris
LM - Friio

ST - Evans
ST - Marshall