Musical instrument suggestions please. | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Musical instrument suggestions please.

Sadly just sold my best banjo. Arthritic thumbs have made it impossible, but at least it went to a good home. I’m now looking for alternative ideas for a simple low cost instrument to learn. I’ve already ordered a tin whistle and music book after hearing a flautist in America show how brilliant you can make it sound. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

American Pilgrim

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Mar 18, 2023
USA
As @4evergreen said, the harmonica is a fantastic option for what you are looking for. I think the acoustic guitar could be a viable option also. Tons easier to learn than an electric guitar and cost a good margin less.

Good luck!

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Have you considered joining a choir of some description? My dad has never had any musical training and can't read a note, but he's in a male voice choir in Bristol and he absolutely loves it. Great sense of community and they're always out performing somewhere. It's given him a proper lease of life since he was widowed.

Reactions: Ironman and mervyn
Apr 8, 2021
Have you considered joining a choir of some description? My dad has never had any musical training and can't read a note, but he's in a male voice choir in Bristol and he absolutely loves it. Great sense of community and they're always out performing somewhere. It's given him a proper lease of life since he was widowed.
+1 my father in law sings in the Ocean City Sound barbershop choir in Plymouth. He has done for decades - he’s now 87 and still loves it.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
As @4evergreen said, the harmonica is a fantastic option for what you are looking for. I think the acoustic guitar could be a viable option also. Tons easier to learn than an electric guitar and cost a good margin less.

Good luck!
I’m not sure the acoustic guitar is easier than electric, especially if you have arthritis. I’ve been playing electric for over 30yrs and I am now quite handy at it, but I really struggle with the acoustic.