Morecambe v Argyle Match Thread | Page 15 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Morecambe v Argyle Match Thread

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Well all I can say is, having watched the brief highlights, Danny Mayor makes the first goal and has to finish it off himself due to the faffing of the two strikers and can hardly be blamed for us not winning the game when he then creates a second perfect goal scoring opportunity for Jephcott. Maybe he ran out of gas in the second half but Argyle aren't going to have a successful season without him being involved along the way, even if it does mean rotating the starting eleven a bit.
I do find it amusing that Lowe comes out and says Ryan Broom was tired and achey and still people (not necessarily here but on Herald articles) are saying he should've started in Mayor's place. Well that'd be excellent management wouldn't it, if he played a player into an injury or burn out.
From what I could see from the video highlights Jephcott's miss from Mayors cross was caused by the ball being delivered behind him. He made a good stab at scoring despite this and was blocked by Morecambe defenders on the line.

Feb 13, 2021
I thought Mayor had a poor/ineffective second half, and Lowe needed to take him off instead of Camara. However Mayor was class first half and made their RB look stupid a fair few times.

Lowe needs to get the players on the training pitch and work on how to play through condensed midfields. Jephcott was constantly looking for space, dropping off and showing but not getting the ball. Far too static all round in terms of movement and off the ball runs. Our passing at times was atrocious, so maybe we just had an all round off day.

Galloway was the only player who thought to dribble the ball and travel it up the pitch, and when he did it was effective. Not enough of it from Mayor, Houghton and Camara. In hindsight, dropping Broom was a mistake for me because he would have provided that threat. Indeed when he came on, his ability on the ball probed and created opportunities on the right.

Morecambe were very well drilled and made it hard for us, but it was a shame we never tried anything different when plan A wasn’t working. They were successful in having a game plan and making the game played on their terms, and we had 90 minutes of football that suited them and not us.
Good luck to Morecambe, I hope they stay up.
Thought the whole team had a poor innefective second half! They say Mayor has no end product, if they put away the chances he puts on a plate for them he would have loads of assists. Also Grant was so bad second half Mayor was never going to be effective! Grant must have hit at least 4 wayward passes to Mayor in good positions! Camara was very poor and yes Broom did ok when he came on! But we need to rotate to keep players as fresh as we can!

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
And they have also won more games than us having played 2 games less.
And you would have expected them to do so, wouldn't you? Paying more, bigger club, bigger crowds... what is your point? Or are you arguing just for the sake of it, .......... again.

Reactions: David Doidge
Sep 6, 2006
And you would have expected them to do so, wouldn't you? Paying more, bigger club, bigger crowds... what is your point? Or are you arguing just for the sake of it, .......... again.
No I dont argue just for the sake of it(again). Have better things to do. You seem to be the one looking for an argument. My point IS (as I have already said) but happy to repeat that we are not winning enough games against lowly sides despite our excellent unbeaten record. And I suspect it will cost us. Am still happy with our overall performances. Is it Ok with you to make that point?

Reactions: The Doctor
No I dont argue just for the sake of it(again). Have better things to do. You seem to be the one looking for an argument. My point IS (as I have already said) but happy to repeat that we are not winning enough games against lowly sides despite our excellent unbeaten record. And I suspect it will cost us. Am still happy with our overall performances. Is it Ok with you to make that point?
Whilst lowly sides are getting beaten more regularly, or they wouldn’t be in the bottom half of the table, I don’t buy the argument that they should axiomatically be more beatable. Teams at the bottom work their way out by becoming more defensive, looking for draws to turn things around, and if they do it well may be harder to beat than a mid table side. Look at Wimbledon, Burton and Wigan last season, who went from relegation candidates to near mid-table, and were very hard to beat during that spell.