Morecambe v Argyle Match Thread | Page 14 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Morecambe v Argyle Match Thread

D

Deleted member 9145

Mayor made a few sloppy passes but he was also our most creative player. The goal was his creation and he put one on a plate for Jephcott, who did have a poor game as did Pan and Galloway.

I don’t think Morecambe will be in the relegation mix based on that performance.

Having an off day and picking up a point away from home is not the end of the world.

Reactions: Mark Pedlar
Sep 6, 2006
Mayor made a few sloppy passes but he was also our most creative player. The goal was his creation and he put one on a plate for Jephcott, who did have a poor game as did Pan and Galloway.

I don’t think Morecambe will be in the relegation mix based on that performance.

Having an off day and picking up a point away from home is not the end of the world.
True but that's 6 draws against current bottom 10 teams now.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Yes we had chances yesterday to be 2 or 3 up but it was not to be.

We have shown we can come from a goal down & equalise within 10 to 15 minutes- we have not had to chase games by being 2 or 3 down & we have not had any 2nd half malaises

RL will not allow keystone cops, deviating from the game plan - every point is a prisoner in this league & if you cant win the game do your upmost not to lose it

Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture we are 14 unbeaten - every team in this league will not gift us points- we have to work b****y hard to get them

The league table at this time means nothing as the season has not ended but we are showing to the other 23 teams that we are extremely hard to beat

Reactions: David Doidge

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Very good but they’re charging only £150 for adult season tickets and £20 for kids less than half what argyle are charging.
That’s very relevant.. 👍

Aug 5, 2016

I thought Mayor had a poor/ineffective second half, and Lowe needed to take him off instead of Camara. However Mayor was class first half and made their RB look stupid a fair few times.

Lowe needs to get the players on the training pitch and work on how to play through condensed midfields. Jephcott was constantly looking for space, dropping off and showing but not getting the ball. Far too static all round in terms of movement and off the ball runs. Our passing at times was atrocious, so maybe we just had an all round off day.

Galloway was the only player who thought to dribble the ball and travel it up the pitch, and when he did it was effective. Not enough of it from Mayor, Houghton and Camara. In hindsight, dropping Broom was a mistake for me because he would have provided that threat. Indeed when he came on, his ability on the ball probed and created opportunities on the right.

Morecambe were very well drilled and made it hard for us, but it was a shame we never tried anything different when plan A wasn’t working. They were successful in having a game plan and making the game played on their terms, and we had 90 minutes of football that suited them and not us.
Good luck to Morecambe, I hope they stay up.

Jul 4, 2008
newton abbot
Easy option next week. Resort to winning team that beat Bolton, replacing Houghton for Randell. With a week on the training ground, players should be ready to go at Ipswich.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff

I wouldn’t say we had an off day - we were very good in the 1st half certainly.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Well all I can say is, having watched the brief highlights, Danny Mayor makes the first goal and has to finish it off himself due to the faffing of the two strikers and can hardly be blamed for us not winning the game when he then creates a second perfect goal scoring opportunity for Jephcott. Maybe he ran out of gas in the second half but Argyle aren't going to have a successful season without him being involved along the way, even if it does mean rotating the starting eleven a bit.
I do find it amusing that Lowe comes out and says Ryan Broom was tired and achey and still people (not necessarily here but on Herald articles) are saying he should've started in Mayor's place. Well that'd be excellent management wouldn't it, if he played a player into an injury or burn out.

Aug 5, 2016
True but that's 6 draws against current bottom 10 teams now.
Is the fact we are playing away of any significance?

Do you really think Argyle should be winning all away games as well as home now?

Yesterday was a tough game, Morecambe did their homework and made it hard for us. They could have got the winner just as easily as Argyle, they had the momentum with them just as much as we did. Plenty of other sides wouldn't have even got a point from there in similar circumstances.

If you take away fan expectation and pressure, some will look at that as a well fought hard earned point for us.

No easy games in this league, especially away.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Well all I can say is, having watched the brief highlights, Danny Mayor makes the first goal and has to finish it off himself due to the faffing of the two strikers and can hardly be blamed for us not winning the game when he then creates a second perfect goal scoring opportunity for Jephcott. Maybe he ran out of gas in the second half but Argyle aren't going to have a successful season without him being involved along the way, even if it does mean rotating the starting eleven a bit.
I do find it amusing that Lowe comes out and says Ryan Broom was tired and achey and still people (not necessarily here but on Herald articles) are saying he should've started in Mayor's place. Well that'd be excellent management wouldn't it, if he played a player into an injury or burn out.
I think some of the criticism of Mayor is the number of times he gave the ball away and put us under pressure. His overall contribution was positive however. There were a few stood next to me who were on his back as soon as the game started.

Mayor does slow the play up which has been used to our advantage versus Oxford and Bolton. However, this season a lot of our success has been built around the speed of our attacks, it was missing yesterday.

A lot of people are getting on Jephcott's back about missing chances but that's what forwards do in this division, if they didn't they would be playing higher up the pyramid. The highest scorer in the division fluffed a number of chances yesterday - thankfully.

There also seems a difference of opinion about Galloway's performance. He had his hands full yesterday and coped well as well as getting forward to assist the attacks.

Overall I thought we were well below par, especially with our passing but even so we were the better team and if the game had gone on another 10 minutes we were the more likely to grab the winner. We weren't the ones time wasting in the last 5!

Reactions: saxman and Andy70

Swaz

♣️ PASALB Member
Jan 25, 2011
bishops stortford
We could have wrapped it up by half time and were left to rue chances missed. It didn't happen in the second half and Morecambes tactics of closing down early on each Argyle player played dividends for them as they nullified Argyles fluidity of play. We couldn't find a way through and at the end I guess a point each is a fair result. A bit disappointed with the changes to the starting line up from Tuesday v Bolton but this is in keeping with Lowes rotational system. I'm not too concerned about playing the higher placed teams as we play better against them when they try to take us on at our own game eg Oxford, Sheffield Wednesday. And still top of the league 😊👍

Reactions: David Doidge
Sep 6, 2006
Is the fact we are playing away of any significance?

Do you really think Argyle should be winning all away games as well as home now?

Yesterday was a tough game, Morecambe did their homework and made it hard for us. They could have got the winner just as easily as Argyle, they had the momentum with them just as much as we did. Plenty of other sides wouldn't have even got a point from there in similar circumstances.

If you take away fan expectation and pressure, some will look at that as a well fought hard earned point for us.

No easy games in this league, especially away.
I am more referring to all the home draws against poor sides including the bottom side. However many much more difficult games to come than Morecambe away. TBH I don't have a problem with a draw but from what I heard the performance was not good.