Misty old Plymouth. | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Misty old Plymouth.

Apr 20, 2008
Exmouth
I'll move this in an hour or so, but thought how all the ex pats would like to see the sea mist that's affecting Plymouth today.

Quite unusual really.

Spooky😳😳 reminds me of “The Fog” 😂😂

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
I prefer this camera, but the Westward Shipping is good as well

Last edited:

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Quite unusual really.
Actually, it's not that unusual at this time of the year. It's linked to the development of a sea breeze circulation and just in case anyone is interested, here is today's science lesson...!

Water has a higher heat capacity than land (heat capacity = the amount of energy that is required to produce a given rise in temperature of the substance) and so as both surfaces are warmed by solar radiation through the morning the sea temperature rises more slowly than the land circulation. This difference in temperatures leads to differential heating of the overlying air such that the air over the warmer land surface warms more quickly than that over the colder sea surface*, becoming less dense in the process and expanding as a result (warmer fluid is less dense and expands). The expansion moves air upwards above the land and produces a pressure difference aloft which drives air aloft offshore, from above the land to above the sea. This horizontal redistribution of air then produces a pressure difference at the surface which drives air onshore from above the sea to above the land. The air that is brought onshore (from above the sea) is colder (see above*) than the air that is replaces. This is known as a sea breeze. Sea breezes form best when there is little background (synoptic) wind and when there is a strong daily heating/cooling cycle (e.g. from spring onwards) - so today was pretty much a perfect day for one to form. It takes a little time in the morning for the solar heating to be sufficient to generate the sea breeze and so today's onset at around 1200 is fairly typical. Colder air cannot hold as much water vapour as warmer air, and s as the incoming (sea breeze) air receives water vapour evaporating into it from the warmer coastal waters and land surface it quickly becomes saturated, with condensation occurring and cloud forming. The evaporation of water from the land surface would be greater on a warm day after there has been rainfall. Just like today - a perfect example!

Reactions: Nick McFarlane

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Sorry I nodded off there for a while.

Well I haven't seen it that much like this over the years. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Jon with no H

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Incredible isn't it?! That view never ceases to amaze me, with all of the variations. I remember seeing a couple of, what looked like, waterspouts on the horizon in 2014.
Always fantastic, whatever the weather. A place I could never get bored of and a view I always look forward to seeing on my visits to Plymouth!!
Thanks for sharing 👍🏻

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
The ships were making a good racket with their fog horns when we were having lunch at the waterfront. I thought it was going to be cold in the mist, but it was still nice and warm.

Jan 11, 2009
i was down at Falmouth today and all the excursions from a cruise ship were cancelled because they could not see enough for the tenders to bring people portside.

bigalf

R.I.P
Dec 13, 2005
Keyham
Incredible isn't it?! That view never ceases to amaze me, with all of the variations. I remember seeing a couple of, what looked like, waterspouts on the horizon in 2014.
Always fantastic, whatever the weather. A place I could never get bored of and a view I always look forward to seeing on my visits to Plymouth!!
Thanks for sharing 👍🏻
Think that was the Eddystone lighthouse

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Makes me feel homesick, makes me realise what i am missing

Retirement can't come soon enough :cry:

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
I'll move this in an hour or so, but thought how all the ex pats would like to see the sea mist that's affecting Plymouth today.

Quite unusual really.

I think the misty weather has lifted, but it's still nice to to see the hoe and sound. 🤗