Mike Cooper | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mike Cooper

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
I don’t actually look back at Alex Palmer in the way that most people seem to, most seem to remember him as this incredible brick wall of a goalkeeper, I remember him being a good keeper but certainly not a faultless one.

Cooper has been very good for 80% or so of the season so far and he deserves to be given chance to get back to form, and if he doesn’t then maybe Burton or McCormick will be given a go - that’s why we have squad goalkeepers.
I thought Palmer was an excellent keeper. If it wasn't for Cooper coming up through the ranks I'd have definitely been advocating signing him up.

Reactions: Superguy

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
He was big & commanding aerially but I thought that covered up some of the mistakes that he made.

Out of the regular keepers that we’ve had since being in L1 and L2 and based on their performances for us alone I’d probably go for this order…

1. Roos
2. McCormick
3. Cooper
4. Palmer
5. Matthews
6. Letheren
7. Macey

Jun 5, 2021
Looking at the Lincoln winner and Fleetwood‘s equaliser, Cooper just stands on his line watching what’s going on in his 6yd box. Why doesn’t he grab the ball? Does he not have the upper body strength and aggression to shove people aside? Has he been told to stand on his line?
What ever it is, it’s costing us points I’m afraid. He must command his 6yd box!

Oct 16, 2016
Depends on the strategy- zonal the defender attacks the ball in his zone.

standard (man for man) defender attacks the ball and or space/ man

Keeper Is given a defensive staring position and works from there.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Does he need to communicate more with the back 3 infront of him- i know the 3 have changed over the last couple of games but do they not cover this area in training
If the expectation is that each defender has to defend a certain part of the 6/18 yard box why would Coops feel the need to communicate
When to leave it to a defender , when not to leave it
The once telepathic understanding when the unit was settled as somewhat disappeared

May 11, 2019
Cooper is currently developing as a player and will have inconsistent patches, this is where the club is going, bringing through our own and this will cause periods of inconsistency and might cause us to miss out this season , however if we persist we will develop high quality players who can either be sold on or potentially create a solid championship club, patience is a virtue 😉

Reactions: David Doidge
Jun 5, 2021
No doubt there were Doncaster and Crewe scouts at Fleetwood who will have seen our defensive weaknesses, so expect many crosses and free kicks high into the 6yd area!!

Aug 13, 2009
Don't think he's the best keeper I've seen at Argyle. He's good but not brilliant due to his weakness on crosses. Bit of the Emperor new clothes syndrome on here I think.
The one thing he is the best at is time-wasting. He has that off to a fine art!!

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Going back over the years we have had some very good keepers of a similar age like Hodge, Aleksic, Barron and the troubled Nicholls, the first three who went to teams higher up the pyramid and the latter who surely would have. Bearing in mind the influx of foreign players now makes it so much harder for an English keeper I think Cooper is quite likely of similar ability to the aforementioned. 30 years ago he would be very much on the radar of bigger clubs. I always think a keeper is one of the easiest positions to fill with a competent replacement so really hope Cooper netts us a handsome fee one day.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
What keeper doesn’t make mistakes?

I think Alison is a top goalkeeper but he has made some clangers in the last 18 months.

How many times does Cooper actually save us? Gets us out of jail. I think it was in the second half where one of Fleetwood players, Camp l think, bundles through the middle of our defense and Cooper pulls off the type of save that we must of seen many times over in those situations.

The guy has the stature of a shot stopper. Unfortunately, this means the one area he struggles with is the physicality of the game of when the ball is slung into the box.

We conceded 80 goals last year. Yet here we are still singing his praises. I think that shows how most Argyle fans really rate him.

You make a mistake as a GK, it’s often a goal. Unfortunately, their mistakes are therefore highlighted than any other player in the team.

Dec 30, 2020
Hope I'm not tempting fate but I don't think he has a weakness on crosses really.

There was one game v Gillingham last year where he had a bit of a nightmare (ironically we still won 1-0 and kept a clean sheet) but any young player is going to have the occasional off day.

It was very obvious that he was subsequently advised to punch clear if in doubt whether he could catch the ball, as he started doing so a lot more often from the very next game onwards, and generally it's a habit that has worked well and is one he shares with many top keepers.

Prior to Tuesday, when he would have punched clear if he hadn't been fouled, I can't think of any occasion this supposed weakness has cost us goals. It seems borne of the desire for a simple explanation for the complex issue of why we have started conceding more frequently over the last few games.