Mid-Table Finish? (And Grandstand Discussion) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Mid-Table Finish? (And Grandstand Discussion)

Yep, done his homework to a degree, after yesterday I think we have a team good enough for the top half but we obviously lack the depth in squad to sustain a season long promotion push. One or two inexperienced teenagers on the bench Is one thing but if we lose 3 or 4 players through injury and suspension we'll struggle IMO

P

Paul_Roberts

Will this (the grandstand 'fissure') detract from the strides being made on the pitch? Quite possibly.

What a lazy way to wrap up a summary. The question he posed is idiotic, and his answer even more so.

I'm one of those who think the stand is too small, but my opposition to it will have absolutely no impact on what happens when those eleven Greens run past the white line every Saturday.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
A poor article from someone with an axe to grind. A pity the piece wasn't just about football and the new season.

Lloyd is co-editor of The Two Unfortunates. He’s 27, supports Plymouth Argyle and takes a particular interest in the fortunes of those Football League clubs west of Bristol.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Calm down people, whether we like the people/person who wrote the article or not what has been said to cause such angst? MANY are for the stand, SOME against it says. The capacity will be well under 18,000 it says. Is that not correct? There is a fissure in the fan base it says. In relative terms to 7,000 match goers it is a tiny fissure but is that not correct also? I don't see an agenda myself just a few neutral comments giving both points of view. Is that reason to get so worked up? The football related comments which were all that was really necessary in the article are pretty much spot on so all in all a pretty good article. Bit of a silly question at the end as I really cannot see how 20 or 30 people on each side of this huge fissure are going to affect performances on the field in any shape or form.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I don't know any Argyle fan that doesn't think the capacity is too small, so the 'fissure' isn't there is it?

JJ, it's foolish to bring the small spilt into such a review, it shows he, like a few if his cohorts, imagine that anyone gives a flying one about a few fans having a pop at each other on the internet.

Some geeks can't leave it out.

Our season, however it unravels, will not be influenced by this sort of rubbish.

Axe to grind (via proxy) and it's embarrassing.

Derby Pilgrim

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
Jun 20, 2011
South Derbyshire
I thought it was a good little summary though I believe we will finish Champions (believe or dreaming? you work it out) The stand is a very minor issue as Mr Brent has worn people down now and if thats the best we can get then so be it

Jul 29, 2010
esmer":15j9dmn1 said:
X Isle":15j9dmn1 said:
Yes it does Chris, it has no place in his article.

When did the building of a stand 15-18 months in the future ever have anything to do with the prospects of 11 men on a football pitch over a season?

To give 50% over to negative minority propaganda makes it utter guff as a meaningful article to be taken seriously.
It is a football related matter if it has a negative effect on season ticket sales, and attendances generally, which will impact on our playing budget.

But it won't effect ST sales, it won't effect general attendance so it won't effect the playing budget. Ergo it has no place on a 2013-2014 pre-season summary.

It's agenda-mongering guff masquerading as an honest appraisal of our club. It's not objective, it's pedalling a falsehood by massively overstating a 'split' exists on this. It's more like the "fissure" (not) between a boulder and the slope of Everest on which it sits.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Blimey, some people really cannot accept any form of criticism whatsoever on the subject of the stand can they?

A good piece, and I agree with the mid-table prediction, should Sheridan manage to get one or two more in to provide a bit more cover.

Oct 24, 2010
IJN":3vcaq7mq said:
Bollox Richard, this lot allowed the loons to spout utter rubbish about me, and despite complaints about lies after lies.

Then I find out one of them is the BiL of one of the idiots on the other site.

Hidden agenda? I'm not sure it's that hidden if I'm honest.

I treat anything that lot say with contempt since then.

Yet more propaganda from people with 'politics' on their mind.

Be naive if you want, but don't expect everyone to take it at face value.
I think you missed the word "if" in my post Ian. If season ticket sales and attendances are down there can only be one explanation.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
IJN":1egy9e5z said:
I don't know any Argyle fan that doesn't think the capacity is too small, so the 'fissure' isn't there is it?

JJ, it's foolish to bring the small spilt into such a review, it shows he, like a few if his cohorts, imagine that anyone gives a flying one about a few fans having a pop at each other on the internet.

Some geeks can't leave it out.

Our season, however it unravels, will not be influenced by this sort of rubbish.

Axe to grind (via proxy) and it's embarrassing.
I just think some are reading too much into a pretty harmless summing up of our season's prospects. I think the fissure referred to wasn't just capacity but the overall development and was pretty neutral as I read it but regardless of that it has no bearing on performances on the field. Couldn't see anything there opinionated enough for or against for it to be agenda driven myself.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
esmer":3alsl6gl said:
IJN":3alsl6gl said:
Bollox Richard, this lot allowed the loons to spout utter rubbish about me, and despite complaints about lies after lies.

I think you missed the word "if" in my post Ian. If season ticket sales and attendances are down there can only be one explanation.
Disagree, it could be down to all sorts of reasons.

Oct 24, 2010
X Isle":308l5ox5 said:
esmer":308l5ox5 said:
X Isle":308l5ox5 said:
Yes it does Chris, it has no place in his article.

When did the building of a stand 15-18 months in the future ever have anything to do with the prospects of 11 men on a football pitch over a season?

To give 50% over to negative minority propaganda makes it utter guff as a meaningful article to be taken seriously.
It is a football related matter if it has a negative effect on season ticket sales, and attendances generally, which will impact on our playing budget.

But it won't effect ST sales, it won't effect general attendance so it won't effect the playing budget. Ergo it has no place on a 2013-2014 pre-season summary.

It's agenda-mongering guff masquerading as an honest appraisal of our club. It's not objective, it's pedalling a falsehood by massively overstating a 'split' exists on this. It's more like the "fissure" (not) between a boulder and the slope of Everest on which it sits.
I don't think it is a case of a split (or fissure) it is a question of how many fans (if any) are disenchanted by the lack of ambition evidenced by the proposed capacity of the ground to the extent they will not renew their season ticket. Time will tell.

Oct 24, 2010
jerryatricjanner":2io26bze said:
esmer":2io26bze said:
IJN":2io26bze said:

Disagree, it could be down to all sorts of reasons.
Like what?

Jan 29, 2006
Canterbury
To give balance, the stand capacity is one of the few things under JB's ownership I'm not entirely happy with. He has got quite a lot right, with the appointment of John Sheridan, and the belated appointment of a seemingly impressive CEO.
So the issue of the redevelopment isn't going to effect team performance in 13/14, that much is obvious, but this bloke has a different opinion, no need to get so hot under the collar about it :roll:
Why does someone with a different opinion have to be labelled as having an agenda? He's not happy with the redevelopment, he's not the only one by any means.

The stand capacity is a self imposed limiting factor, but will not impact upon team performance for many seasons IMO. I wouldn't dismiss the impact on season tickets so quickly though. If the stand capacity was 6.5-7k I'm sure there would have been a surge in season ticket sales. Unfortunately, I do believe the ministand sends out a signal that Argyle are content with lower division, Championship at best, sees itself as a lesser club than the likes of PNE, MK Dons, or Barnsley etc. which is a shame.

As for the on the pitch prediction - mid table seems about right really, though of course I've put money on Argyle going up this year :greensmile: