• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

Michael Foot R.I.P

Z

zzzzSmiffy

Really sad news yesterday.

I enjoyed an evening in his company some years back (Early Sturrock era) after a game when he spoke to PASALB. Even at his considerable age then you could tell you were in the presence of greatness.

RIP Pilgrim :nworthy:.

L

LeamingtonGreen

Sad news indeed. I remember some years ago seeing him on the away terraces at Newport County with his Argyle scarf around his neck and last time I saw him away he was coming out of Forest a few years ago. Argyle through and through.

RIP Janner...forever a Pilgrim.

Y2J

Dec 28, 2004
Cornwall
I was deeply saddened when I heard of Michael's passing.

A remarkable person who I have a great deal of respect for. The world is a poorer place without him.

We'll reach the summit one day and Michael will have the best seat in the house. May you rest in peace, fellow Pilgrim.

Aug 22, 2009
Leicestershire
A remarkable man who led a remarkable life...when I was doing history at university Michael cropped up in three different courses, such was his impact on British public life over a 50 year period.

I was pleased to see him get the respect and tributes he deserved on the news last night. Truly one of a kind.

Mar 4, 2004
Well, Argyle can count themselves lucky to have had such a great man so in love with the club - over such a long life, too.

I did a little tribute for yesterday's Western Morning News. Steve Dean has kindly uploaded it, alongside a piece by John Lloyd, on Greens on Screen.

If you can spare a moment, take a quick look. It just about sums it all up for me.

Meantime, two of Michael's much loved great-nephews, John and Tom Foot (the great journalist Paul Foot was their father) will be present at tomorrow's match, together with a great-great niece and nephew. It'll be great for them to get a sense of what Footie meant to the fans.

I remember being at an event in a tent behind Argyle, maybe 7 years ago.

Now, I'm no political animal, but I knew who he was, and as soon as he started talking, the entire tent fell silent, listening to a master wordsmith. Incredible.

RIP Mr Foot

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
A sad, poignant, but excellent thread (PASOTI at its best). As I read through I kept wanting to quote so many to comment but lost count. I never met him and that will always be a source of great regret to me - I envy those of you who did and have shared your terrific anecdotes. Some people have a spirit that trascends their occupation or beliefs or achievments and friends and foes alike just KNOW they are special. We've just lost one such and are poorer without him.