Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
He's probably very happy being number one at a fairly high ranking league one team, why go elsewhere at this moment and lose what is a given here?
There will be a new contract on the table soon and as long as its a hefty hike on his current contract we could see him here for maybe another three years.

Because he could get at least 10x his current salary elsewhere, take a massive step on his career ladder, and if he’s really really ambitious and hopeful… there’s a tiny outside chance he could go to a World Cup if he goes to a PL side and impresses in the first half of the season.

A football career is short and injury/bad form could end it any time. You have to take these opportunities, and frankly Argyle have to take it with his contract length ensuring a good fee.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Found the article on bbc website

With Nick Pope being reported to be signing for Newcastle for £10M, it strikes me that considering his International status, that either Burnley are really pushed to get what they can to reduce their loan commitment, or Newcastle have found them a soft touch in their negotiations. I accept that they will be saving his wages, but I doubt very much that they are in the same bracket as Ramsdale's.

Reactions: Penmaster

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Hmm. I think this is the dilemma for clubs and likely the reason that we haven’t received any bids so far: For clubs like Burnley, Norwich, West Brom etc, they want to get back to the PL ASAP, they have the money to spend on someone like Cooper, but the likelihood is they’ll opt for more experienced Championship players, those clubs aren’t interested in building, they want quick success. And then you have the other, mid table Championship clubs, who are interested in building, but where funds are more stretched (Preston, QPR, Middlesbrough etc), are they going to spend a big chunk of their budget on a goalkeeper? I think Cooper will still be here come the opening day.
How do you know we haven’t had any bids? I’m willing to bet we have had several. He was the best keeper in our league last season and there is a keeper merry go round going on at the minute. It would be bonkers if we haven’t had bids.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Because he could get at least 10x his current salary elsewhere, take a massive step on his career ladder, and if he’s really really ambitious and hopeful… there’s a tiny outside chance he could go to a World Cup if he goes to a PL side and impresses in the first half of the season.

A football career is short and injury/bad form could end it any time. You have to take these opportunities, and frankly Argyle have to take it with his contract length ensuring a good fee.
Totally agree with what you have written, but sometimes albeit rarely a player is happy with his lot.
I don't know what Cooper is on but even say 2k a week is stupid money anyway, and though this contract won't make him rich beyond all belief, he is already better off than most if not all of us.
Who knows though?
It may not be about money to him and maybe at this early stage of his career he might be settled and enjoying the ride here with the prospect of possible championship football next year.
Argyle are currently in a position with him where they don't have to sell, but if a big 10 million bid that isn't a rumour comes rolling in then we could be looking for someone new.

David Friio's mate

✅ Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
Totally agree with what you have written, but sometimes albeit rarely a player is happy with his lot.
I don't know what Cooper is on but even say 2k a week is stupid money anyway, and though this contract won't make him rich beyond all belief, he is already better off than most if not all of us.
Who knows though?
It may not be about money to him and maybe at this early stage of his career he might be settled and enjoying the ride here with the prospect of possible championship football next year.
Argyle are currently in a position with him where they don't have to sell, but if a big 10 million bid that isn't a rumour comes rolling in then we could be looking for someone new.

£104k a year is well paid but not "stupid money". We'll all have friends who earn that kind of cash - friends who'll have a career that continues past the age of 36/37.

Coops could potentially increase his earnings tenfold - but only if the deal is right for Argyle. Everyone wins here.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
How do you know we haven’t had any bids? I’m willing to bet we have had several. He was the best keeper in our league last season and there is a keeper merry go round going on at the minute. It would be bonkers if we haven’t had bids.

Neil Dewsnip said a couple of days ago there haven’t been any bids.

I’m not as surprised, as I said above, the better Championship clubs will want more experience, whereas lesser Championship clubs may not want to spend a large chunk of their budget on a keeper.

I think if we are going to receive a bid, it’ll more likely be from a PL club looking for an understudy/no2.

Reactions: Superguy

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
We shall see, I feel 3-4m is way too low.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
He's probably worth more, but I just don't think anybody is going to pay it, and then the club have to balance out whether we benefit more from keeping him or from taking what we can get.

Reactions: Lancastergreen

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
The add-ons are obviously huge too, if we wangle a 25% sell-on clause and he then goes to City for £40m... :cool:. But the transfer fee should be hefty in the first place.

Apr 1, 2009
He's probably worth more, but I just don't think anybody is going to pay it, and then the club have to balance out whether we benefit more from keeping him or from taking what we can get.
You can't say he's worth more than anyone's prepared to pay! His current value is what someone is prepared to pay now, even if his potential future value is much higher. If Argyle don't agree with any bids there might be this summer, then they hang on until a buyer values him at an acceptable level.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
£104k a year is well paid but not "stupid money". We'll all have friends who earn that kind of cash - friends who'll have a career that continues past the age of 36/37.

Really? I know of a handful of people who probably earn that kind of amount but I don’t have any friends who earn anything remotely of that order. £50k is pretty good going in my sphere of life. What jobs can someone do in Plymouth to earn that kind of money?