Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
From memory Michael Cooper has played just one competitive game against a Premier League team and a handful against Championship teams. Given that the pace, power, movement and shot speed of players at higher levels is significantly better than those in League 1 I think it’s pretty much impossible to accurately compare his ability with keepers already playing in the leagues above League 1.

I think experts in the game ‘just know’ through various ways when a keeper has the ability or just potential to play at a higher level. E.g. City (pre-Abu Dhabi money I recall) took Joe Hart from Shrewsbury pretty confident that he’d be a top keeper for a decade or so.

Even without being an expert it’s fairly obvious that Cooper has all the core attributes required, that can then be moulded into a top class GK at a top club. Which is why I have a bit of a hunch a club like City might take a punt.

Dec 20, 2011
I think experts in the game ‘just know’ through various ways when a keeper has the ability or just potential to play at a higher level. E.g. City (pre-Abu Dhabi money I recall) took Joe Hart from Shrewsbury pretty confident that he’d be a top keeper for a decade or so.

Even without being an expert it’s fairly obvious that Cooper has all the core attributes required, that can then be moulded into a top class GK at a top club. Which is why I have a bit of a hunch a club like City might take a punt.
Kevin Miller goalkeeper (who played for Falmouth, Newquay, Exeter City1990) moved to Crystal Palace in the premiership in mid 1990s for a figure of £1.5 million.from Watford. Previously played for Birmingham City . Some will recall.
Therefore, it shows that Premiership scouts know what they are looking for.

When he moved to Crystal Palace he was the 5th most expensive goalkeeper and on standby foe the England B team.

Just thought I would share share this info.

Last edited:

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I think the position of goal keeps is unique in that you don’t have to be playing at the top level to demonstrate your skill. If you’re a good striker in league 2, you cannot show how you’ll play against Prem defences, but if a goalie can command his area and stop a decent shot, he can do it a all levels.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Kevin Miller goalkeeper (who played for Falmouth, Newquay, Exeter City1990) moved to Crystal Palace in the premiership in mid 1990s for a figure of £1.5 million.from Watford. Previously played for Birmingham City . Some will recall.
Therefore, it shows that Premiership scouts know what they are looking for.

When he moved to Crystal Palace he was the 5th most expensive goalkeeper and on standby foe the England B team.

Just thought I would share share this info.
And ask any Palace fan who was their worst ever between the sticks and they will say Kevin Miller. If you’re comparing Cooper with him then Coops will have a really mediocre career.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Cooper is a very good young keeper and we’re lucky to have him. However, I think he needs to improve on crosses/ general aerial ability and distribution with both feet before he can dream of playing at the highest levels. And something he can’t do anything about is that little bit of extra height.

As for Norwich, I‘ve posted before that my mate who’s in the know up there thinks it highly unlikely given they paid a price for Gunn to sit on the bench last season. Unless of course they have plans to move someone out….

Reactions: Superguy

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Cooper is a very good young keeper and we’re lucky to have him. However, I think he needs to improve on crosses/ general aerial ability and distribution with both feet before he can dream of playing at the highest levels. And something he can’t do anything about is that little bit of extra height.

As for Norwich, I‘ve posted before that my mate who’s in the know up there thinks it highly unlikely given they paid a price for Gunn to sit on the bench last season. Unless of course they have plans to move someone out….

Tim Krul on the move ?

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Tim Krul on the move ?

That’s the unknown of course and his contract is up this Summer. But even then it’s most likely they would give Gunn first dibs. Does an understudy role in the Championship help Cooper’s development? Not sure about that.

Reactions: mkitts and PL2 3DQ
Dec 30, 2020
I think the position of goal keeps is unique in that you don’t have to be playing at the top level to demonstrate your skill. If you’re a good striker in league 2, you cannot show how you’ll play against Prem defences, but if a goalie can command his area and stop a decent shot, he can do it a all levels.

I think that's right. The fundamentals of the goalkeeping are pretty similar at any level. The issue for PL clubs will be how is he going to react to playing in games with millions of people watching; millions of pounds at stake; every mistake being replayed and reviewed over and over on TV and social media for weeks on end. He'll probably have to start off on the sidelines, hold his own in a dressing room full of millionaire celebrities... and retain his current level of dedication despite being financially set up for life from the second he signs his contract.

Mentally it will be like almost a different sport to playing for Argyle, and whether he has it in him to get that extra elite level edge to his game is where the big question marks over him still are. It will be very hard to know until he's actually in that situation.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
He does seem to have a Manuel Neur-y attitude about him on the pitch, self assuredness almost arrogance, that makes me think he will be able to handle it.

I hope so, this is definitely one of those situations where everyone is wishing him all the best in his NON-Argyle career already.

Sep 6, 2006
He has very few mistakes for such a young player. Can only remember 2 last season. He almost gave a pen away at Pompey when caught in possession and punching the corner v MK last game.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
He has very few mistakes for such a young player. Can only remember 2 last season. He almost gave a pen away at Pompey when caught in possession and punching the corner v MK last game.
He did have a habit last season of coming out at the wrong angle and leaving too much of his goal exposed. Didn't see that at all this season...

Jul 12, 2016
Cooper displays a lot of confidence and rarely shows any emotion.
His performance against Chelsea ,albeit one game ,showed a level of maturity beyond his age.We suddenly have some goalkeeping experts amongst us!

Reactions: saxman