Michael Cooper "Going Nowhere" {Schuey 13/10/22} | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Michael Cooper "Going Nowhere" {Schuey 13/10/22}

Jun 27, 2019
I'm not sure he is writing him off, i think he is quite rightly telling people stop comparing Pickford to Cooper. They literally are not in the same league.

In a few years time Cooper will be.
That was precisely what I was doing (y)

Dec 30, 2020
PL keepers and certainly Pickford playing for England are under a level of pressure a million times more severe than Cooper has faced with Argyle.

I don’t think any of the best English keepers are all that and the notion that Cooper might be naturally more talented is actually quite plausible.

But it’s a big leap from that to say he’s currently ‘better’ than people who are effectively playing a different sport in terms of the intensity and expectation.

Jul 12, 2016
Let’s not forget that Premier goalkeepers also have far better defenders to help them keep the ball out the net. I have seen the so called best goalkeepers making absolute howlers.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Far better finishers trying to put the ball in the net too of course.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
My opinion is that Cooper WILL play for England one day. I was right about Mariner, and I've never thought it again until now.

I agree

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
I certainly think he will play in the EPL.
But, until he does, I don't see the point of trying to compare him to Pickford and the others.
We should enjoy watching him while we can and, when he does go, follow his progress with a great deal of pride.

Reactions: Big Poppa Pump

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
PL keepers and certainly Pickford playing for England are under a level of pressure a million times more severe than Cooper has faced with Argyle.

I don’t think any of the best English keepers are all that and the notion that Cooper might be naturally more talented is actually quite plausible.

But it’s a big leap from that to say he’s currently ‘better’ than people who are effectively playing a different sport in terms of the intensity and expectation.
This is because he had ONE game against Chelsea and of course that made him the best in the land 😉

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
I have no doubt that Coops has the natural ability to make it to the very top.I don't think Pickford or anyone else in the Prem is any better in that sense .... but as has been pointed out for a 'keeper especially it is as much about temperament and mentality as talent. That remains to be seen - but there's nothing to suggest he doesn't have that (yet). His biggest test will come when he goes thru a bad patch and makes some howlers in big matches - which all 'keepers do at times. Sometimes even potentially great 'keepers never quite get over it - Joe Hart springs to mind. People forget just how fantastic Hart was - the best in the Prem by some margin and an England regular - then he started making mistakes, then regular howlers and then he just seemed to disintegrate in front of our eyes until he became a bit of a joke.

Anyway, if and when we do sell Coops I reckon the sell-on clause will be every bit as important if not more so than the money we get up front.

Jul 12, 2016
I have no doubt that Coops has the natural ability to make it to the very top.I don't think Pickford or anyone else in the Prem is any better in that sense .... but as has been pointed out for a 'keeper especially it is as much about temperament and mentality as talent. That remains to be seen - but there's nothing to suggest he doesn't have that (yet). His biggest test will come when he goes thru a bad patch and makes some howlers in big matches - which all 'keepers do at times. Sometimes even potentially great 'keepers never quite get over it - Joe Hart springs to mind. People forget just how fantastic Hart was - the best in the Prem by some margin and an England regular - then he started making mistakes, then regular howlers and then he just seemed to disintegrate in front of our eyes until he became a bit of a joke.

Anyway, if and when we do sell Coops I reckon the sell-on clause will be every bit as important if not more so than the money we get up front.
It was only one game but when he played Chelsea he showed a level of composure way above his age and experience.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
My opinion is that Cooper WILL play for England one day. I was right about Mariner, and I've never thought it again until now.
I agree to a degree.

His next move is critical. Get it wrong and his development could slow.

It’s important that if he leaves, he goes to a club that he will play 70% of matches. My worry is he’ll go for a big money move and will become a number 2 and not develop at the right rate.

A championship move will be my preference. A solid upfront fee but the detail will be in the further sell on clauses which I think will be the cash cow.

Apr 30, 2011
Another difference for a Premier League keeper and L1 is the PL scouting network will know every weakness about a particular keeper AND the best players have the ability to exploit that. The same doesn't apply to L1.

Reactions: Superguy and Justin

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
How about a PL club signs him, and keep with us on loan for a season? That way he is guaranteed to keep developing, we get a few bob and the parent club will benefit in the long term

Reactions: JannerinCardiff
Apr 1, 2009
How about a PL club signs him, and keep with us on loan for a season? That way he is guaranteed to keep developing, we get a few bob and the parent club will benefit in the long term
Inevitably in such a situation, this will reduce the fee because we are getting a loan out of it - you can't have your cake and eat it. If a PL club wants to buy him with a view to loaning him out, they will want to loan him to the Championship.

Reactions: Costusdear