🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Disgusting

how much money does one man need ffs

I’d be more inclined to help out the club that had financed his 21 year career

Very poor from Messi
He agreed a 50% pay cut at Barcelona. They couldn't afford him because they could neither offload some of their huge squad nor get his team mates to agree similar deals.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I know but he’s still walking away from a club that has invested 21 years in him.
Why not have high profile ‘play for free’ agreement in place and have some self pride? He’ll make millions a year on sponsors alone.

Stick by the club that has given you so much and repay them

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
I think he's given a fair bit to them, too! Anyway, regardless of whether one thinks he owes them something (which I certainly don't - he's been a phenomenal servant to the club and has had numerous teams built around him), with the best will in the world I think it's just naive to imagine that he'd play for free. Yes, he's got more money than he'll ever need, but the world just doesn't work like that. And who knows? Maybe he gives millions to charity every year.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
According to Barcelona’s president, Messi was even willing to drop his wages more to stay on at Barcelona but they still couldn’t make it happen. Messi's exit has taken Barcelona's wage bill is down from 110% of their income to 95%.

Now there is talks that Aguero is angry that Messi has left and is trying to find a way out of contact.

Messi is due to give a press conference tomorrow at 11am, so will be interesting to hear what he’s got to say on this all.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Barcelona should have moved him on years ago instead of paying him salaries they obviously couldn't afford. Messi may love the club but he may have financially ruined them.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Barcelona should have moved him on years ago instead of paying him salaries they obviously couldn't afford. Messi may love the club but he may have financially ruined them.
But wouldn't he have commanded a similar salary elsewhere and had much the same effect? And how many billions has he earned Barcelona over his years there, in club-specific TV rights, gate receipts, merchandise, replica shirts, prize money and so on?

I think it's far more the case that the club has been badly mismanaged in recent years, per that article I posted yesterday (quote below). Never mind the mind-boggling transfer fees themselves (compared to zero for Messi two decades ago); imagine the associated wages - which now are precisely the problem. The club had spent recklessly, and now they can't offload anyone because, understandably from the players' point of view, they want to stay on the gravy train and they have contracts saying they can, and none of that wage reduction nonsense for them, thank you very much.

I do wonder how the fans are going to react to the transfer refuseniks when the season kicks off, though. Not well at all, I would imagine. (And I've seen two games at the Camp Nou - it's bloody terrifying! That city is obsessive.)
[Following Neymar's sale] ... [t]here was little thought of how €222m might best be used, just an urge to spend. What has followed has been as bad a run of signings as any major club has made: Ousmane Dembélé for €135m, Philippe Coutinho for €135m, Antoine Griezmann for €120m, Miralem Pjanic for a notional €60m (signed, in a swap with Arthur, as a transfer of convenience rather than as a player Barcelona necessarily wanted), Malcom for €41m, Paulinho for €40m, Nélson Semedo for €35m … Not even a modern superclub can survive such a litany which, along with other mismanagement, has left Barça with a debt well in excess of €1bn.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Something else has just come to mind: it wasn't so many years ago (nine or ten, or less?) that, astonishingly, BCN still didn't even have a shirt sponsor. They were so rich, and so cool, that they had the Unicef logo there for free. They've made an almighty mess of things since then, and I don't think Messi's wages are to blame.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Something else has just come to mind: it wasn't so many years ago (nine or ten, or less?) that, astonishingly, BCN still didn't even have a shirt sponsor. They were so rich, and so cool, that they had the Unicef logo there for free. They've made an almighty mess of things since then, and I don't think Messi's wages are to blame.

It be the old president what is to blame, forking out loads for transfer fees, offering silly wages.

The four players they signed this summer can’t even be registered due to the new salary cap limit. Even if he did offer to play for free (like people have been shouting and screaming he should do) they still wouldn’t be able to register him and he isn’t allowed to take more then a 50% wage cut due to a clause in the Spanish employment law.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Ah, that's an interesting extra bit of info about the employment law. That would settle it, then. What a total balls-up.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
But wouldn't he have commanded a similar salary elsewhere and had much the same effect? And how many billions has he earned Barcelona over his years there, in club-specific TV rights, gate receipts, merchandise, replica shirts, prize money and so on?

I think it's far more the case that the club has been badly mismanaged in recent years, per that article I posted yesterday (quote below). Never mind the mind-boggling transfer fees themselves (compared to zero for Messi two decades ago); imagine the associated wages - which now are precisely the problem. The club had spent recklessly, and now they can't offload anyone because, understandably from the players' point of view, they want to stay on the gravy train and they have contracts saying they can, and none of that wage reduction nonsense for them, thank you very much.

I do wonder how the fans are going to react to the transfer refuseniks when the season kicks off, though. Not well at all, I would imagine. (And I've seen two games at the Camp Nou - it's bloody terrifying! That city is obsessive.)
Despite having all that income they have still ended up paying him more than they could afford. He only commanded that salary because they were foolish enough to pay it but of course, someone else might have been foolish as well.

Aug 5, 2016
I have three acquaintances who have become absolutely stinking rich. All financial traders. Despite being different types, they all followed a pattern as their wealth increased, of losing touch with the reality of money as you and I would measure it. I’m sure many footballers on, say, £10 million a year over 5-10 years ultimately fall into the same pattern of regarding huge salaries as the norm. Nice to see that Marcus Rashford has defied the trend, and gives so much to good causes.

As much as I like Marcus Rashford and believe him to be a genuine, humble lad, he does have a full time PR manager who manages his Twitter account and is spearheading this Mother Theresa charity angle.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Despite having all that income they have still ended up paying him more than they could afford. He only commanded that salary because they were foolish enough to pay it but of course, someone else might have been foolish as well.
The estimate is that the 5 club have received an additional £1.2 billion in revenue over the past 4 years of Messi's contract, which is close to 5 times that of what he has actually recieved in wages over that period of time. Barcelona's loss is also La Liga's loss as other clubs will also suffer a loss in revenue from Messi no longer being in La Liga

Reactions: DartPilgrim
May 16, 2016
Messi or not, I'm quite sure La Liga will just carry on. Real Madrid got over Ronaldo, who has at least proved himself at more than one Club.

Messi is literally crying his way to the banco.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Apparently he’s agreed to join PSG on a two year deal and now it sees PSG paying more wages then any other sports team