Mayor | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Mayor

Aug 11, 2013
I don’t think either side will change their mind about Danny. Clearly marmite.

But can I say - there is no hate campaign. Just a difference of opinion.

I also don’t buy the point that historically Argyle fans choose to hate their star players. Not a trait I recognise either.

There’s plenty of stars plastered over the Home Park horseshoe entrances and I can’t think of one who was subject of any hate campaign.

Reactions: philevs
Jan 6, 2004
Mayor is far from useless and is a useful flair player. He should not however start in place of Broom, as others have said the team just seems to perform better around Broom. My main concern is that the manager may be influenced by being embarrassed not to pick the player who earns far more than anyone else in the squad.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Mayor is far from useless and is a useful flair player. He should not however start in place of Broom, as others have said the team just seems to perform better around Broom. My main concern is that the manager may be influenced by being embarrassed not to pick the player who earns far more than anyone else in the squad.

I don`t think Mr Lowe does embarrassment.

Dec 30, 2020
This is spot on. The results with and without Mayor starting speak for themselves. Data analytics will surely be picking this up.
Individual brilliance does not mean a player has the ability to form part of a good team.
Roger Hunt wasn't as individually brilliant as Jimmy Greaves, but Alf Ramsey picked Hunt for the 66 World Cup and we won because we were a better team with him in it.

The results with and without Mayor don't 'speak for themselves' and the reasons why not are the sort of thing you get taught in maths and science lessons aged about 14 - the sample size is too small (Mayor has only started 4 league games) and don't control for the multiple variable factors (3 of the games he started were against the current top 3).

So if we have data analysts producing these kind of findings, they're probably on work experience and about to fail their GCSEs.

Personally I do slightly prefer Broom as a player but I think they both have good qualities. It seems to me there's been an element of teams knowing what to expect from us recently, even prior to the last three games, so perhaps having an alternative formation up our sleeve would be helpful... and that might be one that accommodates both Mayor and Broom

Sep 6, 2006
The results with and without Mayor don't 'speak for themselves' and the reasons why not are the sort of thing you get taught in maths and science lessons aged about 14 - the sample size is too small (Mayor has only started 4 league games) and don't control for the multiple variable factors (3 of the games he started were against the current top 3).

So if we have data analysts producing these kind of findings, they're probably on work experience and about to fail their GCSEs.

Personally I do slightly prefer Broom as a player but I think they both have good qualities. It seems to me there's been an element of teams knowing what to expect from us recently, even prior to the last three games, so perhaps having an alternative formation up our sleeve would be helpful... and that might be one that accommodates both Mayor and Broom
Exactly re the data analysis. I'm sure they don't use the data to connect results to one player. Suppose its Mayor's fault that Pan and Jephcott etc have lost form and that Galloway's injured.

Reactions: Antipodean
Mar 11, 2018

Well put and, as any half-conscious scientist, data or otherwise, will tell you, correlation is not cause.

I recall during the unbeaten run various people saying that we were mostly beating teams from the lower half of the table and that the real test would come later. Unfortunately, we have failed that test to some degree, and also against, Charlton, who were in pretty good form when they played us. A win against the MK Dons would be a big reassurance about our capability against the league's better teams.

I would say that Mayor's goal against Wigan was a thing of beauty. If he could do something similar every few games we'd decommission tedious threads like this one - to which I know I have contributed!

Reactions: saxman
Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Said it last year and I’ll say it again, the problem with the perceptions of Danny Mayor is everyone analyses him based on the player they want him to be rather than the one he is. He’s never been prolific in his career.