Mayor | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Mayor

Georgieboy

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Mar 17, 2015
It is a team game made up of 11 on the pitch- Danny is one player in our team

Would people be having a dig at Broom if he had played tonight instead of Danny- give the poor lad a break

One player does not make a team

The collective that is our team as had a bad day at the office

We win as a team & lose as a team
Well said mutely. we loose a couple of games and some of are so call PASOTI members start having a go at some players and the team. Keep it going Ryan one of our better managers. As I’ve said before nothing changes a home park if it’s not the players, team, parking,and even the pasty’. Say no more!!!

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Because of one comment made by RL at the start of his tenure- this remark is a millstone around Danny's neck

Danny did not make the comment- maybe RL should have reined in what he said at the time but because that comment is in the public domain people continue to bash Danny over the head with it

I do not have an issue with any of the players in our team- RL deems them good enough to wear the beloved green jersey- that is good enough for me

We dont like it when we lose- but we take it on the chin, learn from it & move on to the next game

As i said in a previous post- Danny is not to blame for the loss on Tuesday- we were beaten by a better team- that's life

Roll on Saturday- the world is not over because we lost a game of football

Sep 22, 2020
irrespective of the relative merits of Mayor and Broom, the fact is that our best performances this season have come when Broom has been playing. maybe both could play in the same team? That might upset the balance but they are two of our better midfielders in terms of attacking.

Reactions: philevs and chester
Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
The manager was absolutely stupid to say that Mayor is better than Carey. That raised expectations among fans- we were expecting some sort of superstar.

If Mayor had signed without any hype, then I don't think fans would be so critical of him. He was a League Two midfielder who had spent many years with Bury. Not a high profile signing.

Give the bloke a break. He is what he is.
Agree,he has had that monkey on his back ever since lowe said that, it does not help DM's plight,that is if he is aware of the statement.

Mar 11, 2018
Ignoring the patronising tone of the post I’ll just say that the ‘rest of us’ appear to be an ever increasing minority.

Argyle were unbeaten with him absent. Against better opposition with guile, nous and discipline he’s done little to affect the game.

It could be argued that Broom did little in those games too, which would be fair comment, but to me, having lost to teams that were recently in the Championship it shows just how far away we really are.
'Patronising tone' - code for 'I don't like what you said'. Why not complain about the hysterical, insulting tone of many people who attack him every chance they get?

And if it's patronising to point out inaccuracy, I plead guilty. Argyle have also played several matches in which he has been involved this season (including as a substitute) when we have not lost:

I do agree with most people that Ryan Broom has been an excellent loan signing, and if only one could be picked to start, it would usually be Broom at the moment. But Mayor has plenty to bring to the team in various circumstances.

As for your last point, a complete non sequitur as it is about the whole team, not just Mayor (the subject of this thread if you're still paying attention), and perhaps management and coaching too.

So, back to my original point - people should stop confusing the prospects of the whole team with their assessment of one player with whom they are obsessed, or even one or two that they rate. We have to (mixed metaphor warning) look at all the moving parts, not just ride the hobby horse.

Jun 28, 2006
Plymouth
'Patronising tone' - code for 'I don't like what you said'. Why not complain about the hysterical, insulting tone of many people who attack him every chance they get?

And if it's patronising to point out inaccuracy, I plead guilty. Argyle have also played several matches in which he has been involved this season (including as a substitute) when we have not lost:

I do agree with most people that Ryan Broom has been an excellent loan signing, and if only one could be picked to start, it would usually be Broom at the moment. But Mayor has plenty to bring to the team in various circumstances.

As for your last point, a complete non sequitur as it is about the whole team, not just Mayor (the subject of this thread if you're still paying attention), and perhaps management and coaching too.

So, back to my original point - people should stop confusing the prospects of the whole team with their assessment of one player with whom they are obsessed, or even one or two that they rate. We have to (mixed metaphor warning) look at all the moving parts, not just ride the hobby horse.
My opinion of the post hasn’t changed.

To speak of “mind numbing referendum” and “football is a complex game that doesn’t obey anyone’s personal obsessions” I guess is mere plebs can be grateful for such wisdom and higher thought. Thanks to PASOTI for having us.

You ironically use stats to highlight Mayors’s involvement yet the stat’s show amongst other things of course that we’ve been stronger without him, and when we have been up against better opposition he’s failed to deliver the quality he’s in the team of many “moving parts” to produce.

This is an opinion. Yours is clearly different and that’s fine with me.

Reactions: arrythewurzel

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Danny & Ryan are 2 different players- it is not a knit picking , mudslinging competition as to who is the better player
Remember Ryan Broom is not our player- if RL had not signed Va Va Voom on a season long loan would the vultures still be circling in regard to what Danny does or does not do for the team
So what is going to happen when Va Va Voom goes back to Posh at the end of the season- (by the way i do not buy into all the bluster that comes out of Poshs Chairmans mouth) will the knives still be out regarding the perceived rivalry
Just because we have lost 2 games in which Danny & Va Va Voom rotated - those 2 players would not have changed the results of those games as we were beaten by the better team on both occasions
Sometimes you have to admit in your heart of hearts that in the last 2 games we have played we have been beaten by the better team
We move on & learn from it
RL will pick the best team to get a result whether that is Danny or Va Va Voom- both are capable & i dont have an issue with either one of them

Mar 11, 2018
My opinion of the post hasn’t changed.

To speak of “mind numbing referendum” and “football is a complex game that doesn’t obey anyone’s personal obsessions” I guess is mere plebs can be grateful for such wisdom and higher thought. Thanks to PASOTI for having us.

You ironically use stats to highlight Mayors’s involvement yet the stat’s show amongst other things of course that we’ve been stronger without him, and when we have been up against better opposition he’s failed to deliver the quality he’s in the team of many “moving parts” to produce.

This is an opinion. Yours is clearly different and that’s fine with me.
I didn't expect to change your opinion as you're too preoccupied with playing the role of the patronised pleb. And my different opinion is not fine with you because you don't like my 'tone', which seems to mean not aligning with your version of plebeian language.

I simply pointed out that your statement that "Argyle were unbeaten with him absent" ignored the fact that they won/drew in several games when he was present.

Amusing really, as when people on this site disagree over several posts I imagine others just tune out. I know that I usually do. But I'm making an exception in this case because I can't stand it when people resort to complaining about a 'patronising tone' rather than deal with the substantive issues raised.

In this instance it is the scapegoating of Danny Mayor, who has his limitations (e.g., his scoring record at Argyle is very poor) and strengths (e.g., drawing defenders and creating space for others). But he is frequently blamed for all manner of problems for which the team, both its various constituent parts and as a whole, should take some responsibility.

Aug 11, 2013
Broom maybe Posh’s player but he’s ours this season and it’s only this season I’m personally concerned with at the moment.

Broom has had the odd bad game but on the whole I’d pick him ahead of Mayor based on what I’ve seen of both. Not because of any agenda. Not because of some ancient comment from Lowe that he must live up to. Simply because I want to see us win and I think that’s more likely with Broomy in the team.

I do think Mayor has a massive part to play though. I see him coming on when we’re leading and under the cosh. A calming influence, slowing things down. Gaining us some possession etc etc.

But for getting us on the front foot from the off it’s Broom by a country mile for me.

Jun 28, 2006
Plymouth
I didn't expect to change your opinion as you're too preoccupied with playing the role of the patronised pleb. And my different opinion is not fine with you because you don't like my 'tone', which seems to mean not aligning with your version of plebeian language.

I simply pointed out that your statement that "Argyle were unbeaten with him absent" ignored the fact that they won/drew in several games when he was present.

Amusing really, as when people on this site disagree over several posts I imagine others just tune out. I know that I usually do. But I'm making an exception in this case because I can't stand it when people resort to complaining about a 'patronising tone' rather than deal with the substantive issues raised.

In this instance it is the scapegoating of Danny Mayor, who has his limitations (e.g., his scoring record at Argyle is very poor) and strengths (e.g., drawing defenders and creating space for others). But he is frequently blamed for all manner of problems for which the team, both its various constituent parts and as a whole, should take some responsibility.
I really do take exception at you making me an exception. I’d forgotten about you until I had a notification. I looked as I thought it could have been important, it wasn’t.

Anyway, don’t lose anymore sleep over it. As I said it’s just an opinion.

greenpig27

Jam First
Aug 16, 2005
plymouth
I feel that the comments made by RL about Mayor "being better than Carey" are very relevant here. I really think that , had DM arrived without the fanfare and hoo-ha, a vast majority of people here would be appreciating what a skilful and exciting player he is (just as they are Broom). But people are expecting too much and he is getting blamed (by some) for every bad team performance/result...which is, of course, nonsense. Personally, I am very pleased to have him playing here for us.

Last edited:

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
If Mayor was to retire tomorrow would you class his argyle time as successful?

Sep 6, 2006
I feel that the comments made by RL about Mayor "being better than Carey" are very relevant here. I really think that , had DM arrived without the fanfare and hoo-ha, a vast majority of people here would be appreciating what a skilful and exciting player he is (just as they are Broom). But people are expecting too much and he is getting blamed (by some) for every bad team performance/result...which is, of course, nonsense. Personally, I am very pleased to have him playing here for us.
Doesnt make the slightest difference what Lowe said over 2 years ago. Fans see a very talented player making the same mistakes running down blind alleys and hardly ever hitting the target let alone scoring goals.