Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Correct, but as per my post earlier, given Mayor's position, role in the team, number of starts, positions he takes up on the field, opportunities he has and so on, he should be doing better.

Quite honestly, it really doesn't matter how many times he passes left to Grant, who then crosses it in for a goal. That's happened many times, and more often than not all Mayor did was slide it wide for Grant to whip it in. Nothing special about that.

His contribution to the goal against MK was a little more in that he side-stepped one man and actually was the main part in the move.

But given all the info I have said at the top, he realistically should be hitting better numbers than he does. He's not there to protect the defence or win last ditch challenges. He's there to damage the opposition and last season he was our 'go to' man. This season we have Broom as well. But last season he was 'the man', and he didn't damage the opposition anywhere near enough.

If your definition of a good job is asking a professional footballer to pass the ball 5 yards wide to Grant who then claims 5-7 assists from that, then you have very low standards of Danny Mayor. Unless I'm mistaken, he's also by some distance our highest paid player. I expect a lot more.

If you think that all Mayor does is pass the ball 5yds to Grant, youā€™re obviously watching different games to me. How many times has he picked up the ball in his own half and took it to an attacking position, slowed the game up so that once heā€™s done that ā€˜5yd passā€™ to Grant, thereā€™s someone in the box to get on the end of the cross?

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
If you think that all Mayor does is pass the ball 5yds to Grant, youā€™re obviously watching different games to me. How many times has he picked up the ball in his own half and took it to an attacking position, slowed the game up so that once heā€™s done that ā€˜5yd passā€™ to Grant, thereā€™s someone in the box to get on the end of the cross?
Quite ..... I'm old enough to remember a time when players were judged on their all round performance and contribution rather than the stats created by the latest FIFA Football or Championship manager game. Don't get me wrong - I'm a stat nerd too and all for using whatever stat data you can get ......But the thing about stats is that you MUST use your brain to interpret them. We can all see how Mayor can carry the ball like nobody else, how he can beat a player and dribble through the tightest of spaces that disrupts defences that then leads to chances and then goals. (Come to think of it there are plenty of stats I've seen about the number of successful dribbles he makes - always one of the most in the league).

Sure - he really should score more, and I've often groaned when he decides to play a slide-rule pass rather than just hit the damn thing, but he's a fantastic player for us to have and he'll be loss if he does leave.

Sep 6, 2006
This thread is a classic example of not willing/refusing to change your mind and being inflexible despite all the evidence. Affects all walks of life especially politics(e.g. Trump supporters). The Mayor knockers are embarrassing themselves with their lack of knowledge of football but they won't change their opinion even if its down to refusing to admit to being wrong. As an example I don't think I will ever accept Hardie or Jephcott are good enough at this level. Though I was wavering when he was on a goal a game.

Reactions: justanotherfan
Aug 15, 2015
Quite ..... I'm old enough to remember a time when players were judged on their all round performance and contribution rather than the stats created by the latest FIFA Football or Championship manager game. Don't get me wrong - I'm a stat nerd too and all for using whatever stat data you can get ......But the thing about stats is that you MUST use your brain to interpret them. We can all see how Mayor can carry the ball like nobody else, how he can beat a player and dribble through the tightest of spaces that disrupts defences that then leads to chances and then goals. (Come to think of it there are plenty of stats I've seen about the number of successful dribbles he makes - always one of the most in the league).

Sure - he really should score more, and I've often groaned when he decides to play a slide-rule pass rather than just hit the damn thing, but he's a fantastic player for us to have and he'll be loss if he does leave.
You make Danny Mayor sound like Ronaldinho. The way you are describing his game was more at L2 level. He's not able to beat men at will quite the way you are describing at L1 level. Why is it that he has had the most success, both individually and collectively at L2 level?

Please do send through the data of the most successful dribbles at L1 level. I'm assuming you have read that somewhere.

Aug 15, 2015
This thread is a classic example of not willing/refusing to change your mind and being inflexible despite all the evidence. Affects all walks of life especially politics(e.g. Trump supporters). The Mayor knockers are embarrassing themselves with their lack of knowledge of football but they won't change their opinion even if its down to refusing to admit to being wrong. As an example I don't think I will ever accept Hardie or Jephcott are good enough at this level. Though I was wavering when he was on a goal a game.
What evidence? Has Mayor been more successful individually and collectively at L1 or L2 level?

Mar 23, 2013
What evidence? Has Mayor been more successful individually and collectively at L1 or L2 level?
Really? The most naturally gifted player we have and the one in the best current form - and you want to drive him away?

Oh ...... and he didn't do a V-sign at all at MKD towards our fans - quite the opposite. Superficially it may look like that but watch it closely. The hand starts open as the arm goes up then three fingers are curled and it's the index and thumb left open as it comes down. Who does a V-sign with index finger and thumb? It makes far more sense that it's an aggressive 'COME ON!' yell with a sharp upward gesture as in "crank it up!". It also makes no sense why he would have that attitude barely a fortnight after half of HP were singing "We've got Mayor! Danny Mayor!" ........(presumably not you though?)
Definitely not me.... the ā€œweā€™ve got Mayor ā€œ song literally makes my toes curl itā€™s so embarrassing.

Mar 23, 2013
We started with Broom last night, we looked better with Mayor. We started with Broom against Charlton, we looked better with Mayor.

I like Broom a lot, but I don't agree with the view, anymore anyway, that we automatically look better whenever he's playing.
ā€œWe started with Mayor last night ā€œ yes we got a point
ā€œWe started with Mayor against Charltonā€ and yes we got beat....easily.....what is your actual point in supporting Mayor as I canā€™t see it.

Reactions: Matt Green Army