Mayor and Broom | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Mayor and Broom

Apr 1, 2009
He can’t seem to find a place for both...so Mayor has to go to fund Broom....it’s no coincidence that we had a 16 game no loss run with Broom and 3 losses when he decides to favour Mayor....it is what it is and our game play is way better with Broom starting.....fact.....Mayir is a great player I get it ...but he is not a team player.....I’d love to see him gone in January....no ..I’m not a fan.
How is Mayor going to fund Broom? Posh want 500k for Broom, whilst no one is going to pay a significant fee (if any at all) for a 31 year old who "is not a team player". You may state the the saving on Mayor's wages, but we will have to fund replacing him in the squad (in addition to Broom) as well as finding Broom's fee.

Many imagine that Mayor is constantly yearning for a return north, but he signed a 2 year deal last summer and, unless another club matched his wages here, may well not want to go.

I get the differences in opinion over Mayor and Broom (though not the hostility behind some of them). What I don't get is why one has to leave. We are trying to build a squad - most groups of fans would be delighted to have competition for places!

Dec 30, 2020
He may have been MoTM but it shows that with him we're unbalanced and it's not working.

The rest of the team have pretty much stayed the same, but we've gone from being unbeaten to losing 3 on the bounce and the only significant change was Mayor over Broom.

Broom played ahead of Mayor in the first of those three games and the second two were against teams higher in the league than anyone we played on our unbeaten run.

Better opposition, our recent hectic schedule, individual errors from other players and teams getting wise to the way we play were all much more important contributors to our run of defeats than the simple but seductive explanation of the Mayor/Broom switcheroo

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Lowe recently said Broom was originally signed to put pressure on Edwards as a RWB, the 2-0 deficit at half time at Rotherham followed by the injury to Mayor in the Peterborough game meant that Broom slotted into Mayor's role and did well.

It was almost by accident that Broom played in midfield rather than at RWB.

So there is scope to play Broom at RWB, although it would harsh on Edwards, and get both Broom and Mayor into the team.

That said, would Broom be as effective in a different role and are his defensive capabilites good enough?

Reactions: Deacster
Aug 15, 2015
Mayor has picked up MOTM in consecutive matches and has scored our only goal of the last three games but you'd love to see him leave? That's a bit odd.
But for Mayor's MOTM games (where he probably averaged about 6.5/7), Broom was in a team that went 16 games unbeaten.

What's better...Mayor having 2 MOTM performances or the improved performance of the team?

Mar 23, 2013
I think you are being a bit unfair regarding Mayor. I see a team player who also has amazing individual ability and is a real asset to the side.
I do agree...but I don’t see him playing both...and I prefer Brooms style over Mayor any day of the week...of course he is an asset...but we play better as a team without Mayor...the stats don’t lie I’m afraid.

Mar 23, 2013
Lowe recently said Broom was originally signed to put pressure on Edwards as a RWB, the 2-0 deficit at half time at Rotherham followed by the injury to Mayor in the Peterborough game meant that Broom slotted into Mayor's role and did well.

It was almost by accident that Broom played in midfield rather than at RWB.

So there is scope to play Broom at RWB, although it would harsh on Edwards, and get both Broom and Mayor into the team.

That said, would Broom be as effective in a different role and are his defensive capabilites good enough?
Sorry this is a complete no no...he’s far to good to play out of position...I’m a huge fan.

Reactions: xmastree
Mar 23, 2013
How is Mayor going to fund Broom? Posh want 500k for Broom, whilst no one is going to pay a significant fee (if any at all) for a 31 year old who "is not a team player". You may state the the saving on Mayor's wages, but we will have to fund replacing him in the squad (in addition to Broom) as well as finding Broom's fee.

Many imagine that Mayor is constantly yearning for a return north, but he signed a 2 year deal last summer and, unless another club matched his wages here, may well not want to go.

I get the differences in opinion over Mayor and Broom (though not the hostility behind some of them). What I don't get is why one has to leave. We are trying to build a squad - most groups of fans would be delighted to have competition for places!
Because he won’t play both...so if we are a better team with Broom ...which in my opinion we are...then Mayor has to go...if we want to get back to winning ways.

Reactions: arrythewurzel

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
So if we never signed Ryan Broom would we be having the long discussion regarding Danny Major or would we have signed another player- i guess we will never know or is Ryan Broom a victim of circumstance

Aug 17, 2006
But for Mayor's MOTM games (where he probably averaged about 6.5/7), Broom was in a team that went 16 games unbeaten.

What's better...Mayor having 2 MOTM performances or the improved performance of the team?
I like both players but the unbeaten run was against some average sides and some bigger names that weren't on form. We've now played stronger sides who are a totally different ball game.

Reactions: saxman
B

Block3 T63

He can’t seem to find a place for both...so Mayor has to go to fund Broom....it’s no coincidence that we had a 16 game no loss run with Broom and 3 losses when he decides to favour Mayor....it is what it is and our game play is way better with Broom starting.....fact.....Mayir is a great player I get it ...but he is not a team player.....I’d love to see him gone in January....no ..I’m not a fan.
Broom plays - the whole team get 7s and 8s out of 10
Mayor plays - gets an 8, the rest of the team gets 6 out of 10

Oct 5, 2013
Mayor has picked up MOTM in consecutive matches and has scored our only goal of the last three games but you'd love to see him leave? That's a bit odd.
Mayor certainly shines as an individual, he's conspicuous on the pitch and at times brilliant and that's why he's got MoM twice running. But this season his presence pretty clearly doesn't make for a good team, as shown by the results in the league matches he has been involved in - surely going unbeaten for 16 when he was out injured and then 3 losses in a row when he's back says something?

Reactions: arrythewurzel
Sep 15, 2012
Yesterday was the first time I feel our manager made a big mistake.
why take one off for the other, surely they can both play in the same team together. Wigan couldn’t believe their luck, every time Mayor got the ball they s#@t themselves and I felt Lowe made the wrong decision in taking off the motm Danny Mayor

Reactions: up the line