Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Difficult to compare the UK with Kiwiland, to be honest. NZ is over 4,000 miles from its closest neighbours (about 5 hours flying time), whereby we're 30 miles from France. We're an international hub for air travel: New Zealand isn't. Their entire population is about half of that of London.

NZ going into isolation is relatively easy for them compared to us. But they can't stay like that forever: they'll have to start opening up at some point ... and then we can see how well prepared they are for larger outbreaks of Covid.
Ever so slight exaggeration there Quinny. We are 2.5 hours flying from Oz, 4 hours flying from Fiji - both countries are rife with Covid-19 in the community. Our population is just over 5,000,000 and yes, it is very easy for us to go back into lockdown, should the need arise. I agree with you completely that we can't stay isolated and it is very frustrating to not be able to go anywhere...except Rarotonga (Cook Islands) which, like us, is Covid free and a lovely place to go.

Our PM was the canine's gonads right at the very beginning of the pandemic but now? Not so! She has made a total pig's ear of the vaccinations...hell, we even ran out of the stuff at one time, despite her protestations and promises that NZ was "at the front of the queue" for the Pfizer vaccine. We weren't, we aren't and until such times as the vast majority of the population is vaccinated, we are always going to be looking backwards over our collective shoulders.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Exactly! Nothing like making up stats.

Not sure why NZ is repeatedly being compared to the UK. The population of New Zealand is bloody tiny and its the oriface of the earth.
Nothing like making up stats! New Zealand is actually bigger than the UK, in land mass and the spelling is orifice. Maybe you'd like to tell me the last time you were in NZ and where you visited, that enabled you to make such a sweeping statement?

Sep 13, 2003
Nothing like making up stats! New Zealand is actually bigger than the UK, in land mass and the spelling is orifice. Maybe you'd like to tell me the last time you were in NZ and where you visited, that enabled you to make such a sweeping statement?

Sep 13, 2003
NZ is only marginally bigger in land mass than than UK. Maybe you misinterpreted my post but I never mentioned the size of the land at all. I was referring to the population which is less than Slovakia.

Sep 13, 2003
In relation to the spelling, I actually said a different word and Pasoti swear word checker produced the word which was stated :)

Keith Hennessey

🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
Jul 17, 2006
Blenheim New Zealand.
NZs biggest problem is that it is far too close to Australia. They don’t seem to have any respect for COVID protocols and simply will not do what they are asked to.Mass protests happening and more are planned.

Reactions: Andy S
Jul 14, 2008
The issue for NZ and Aus is that Covid will not disappear for years, if ever, and they have to open up their borders at some point. When they do the virus will inevitably run through the population and there will be hospitalisations and deaths, even if vaccine take up is high. They have to decide at what point they are willing to do that.

Apr 8, 2014
The logic is wrong here.

To reduce your chance of picking up infection it would be in your interest to give people who are not wearing masks space as they are the ones that are most likely to pass infection on to you (since masks are designed to stop the spread of droplets from the wearer). In this respect you are safer getting closer to mask wearers than to non-mask wearers.

To reduce the chance of you transmitting infection it is in everyone else's interest that you wear a mask in a crowded space and give everyone space as much as possible.

EVERYONE benefits when masks are worn. If people want to get back to something resembling normal as quickly as possible then mask wearing and social distancing should be maintained in enclosed areas. I understand the arguments for opening things up but really, a sensible policy would have been to open up whilst maintaining mask wearing and social distancing as a first step and then to relax those measures at a later date.
Now you’re just playing ignorant. You know full well why a non mask wearer would give a mask wearer space. Everyone does not benefit, breathing in fibrous material/particles does no one any benefit let alone those with respiratory problems. You can argue the pros and cons on that one but the fact is, it’s not an everyone benefits scenario. We could do this to death but the bottom line is when it was mandatory to wear masks 99% of the public did so with no drama. Now it is someone’s right to not wear one and that must also be respected. No one should feel shamed, embarrassed, coerced or anything else into wearing a mask if they don’t wish to do so. Cases have dropped for for the last 6 days, it’s like anything, test more, you’ll get more both positive and negative results. I know people who actively try to get positive tests to take time off work so I have absolutely no doubt the results are skewed. I will be taking a lateral flow test before going to each game which gives me 99.9% certainty I don’t have covid unlike the X% protection your cloth mask may give (it’s certainly not 99.9%). And before we hit back with the 99.9% certainty but people trying to get positive results and skew the data. They are 99.9% accurate when used correctly, I can assure you I will be using it for it’s designed use and not mixing it with orange juice or what ever other myths are kicking around on the internet to get positive test results.

Reactions: Chip green and Tops
Feb 8, 2005
Wearing a mask is for the benefit of other people, not the wearer. A mask with a filter is advised for best protection (for others).

Sep 13, 2003
Now you’re just playing ignorant. You know full well why a non mask wearer would give a mask wearer space. Everyone does not benefit, breathing in fibrous material/particles does no one any benefit let alone those with respiratory problems. You can argue the pros and cons on that one but the fact is, it’s not an everyone benefits scenario. We could do this to death but the bottom line is when it was mandatory to wear masks 99% of the public did so with no drama. Now it is someone’s right to not wear one and that must also be respected. No one should feel shamed, embarrassed, coerced or anything else into wearing a mask if they don’t wish to do so. Cases have dropped for for the last 6 days, it’s like anything, test more, you’ll get more both positive and negative results. I know people who actively try to get positive tests to take time off work so I have absolutely no doubt the results are skewed. I will be taking a lateral flow test before going to each game which gives me 99.9% certainty I don’t have covid unlike the X% protection your cloth mask may give (it’s certainly not 99.9%). And before we hit back with the 99.9% certainty but people trying to get positive results and skew the data. They are 99.9% accurate when used correctly, I can assure you I will be using it for it’s designed use and not mixing it with orange juice or what ever other myths are kicking around on the internet to get positive test results.
Lateral flow tests are not 99.9% accurate. More like 70%. I know people who have had them taken and came back negative when a PCR test came back positive.
Even when I was in Guys hospital a couple of weeks ago the nurses there all stated they were not accurate and they did PCR tests instead.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yep, my daughter was negative on her LF but wasn't satisfied with that so went and had her PCR which was positive, then did a LF a day later THEN it was positive.

May 16, 2016
Ok we get it, you don't want to wear a mask.

It's quite simple.

If you don't want to wear a mask, then don't. If you're requested to wear one, please do, but it's your choice to go there or not.

The majority have no issue with it. Don't let life pass you by as you agonise over it.

Reactions: smudja
Aug 5, 2015
If you go to most of Asia where they’ve been living with SARS, Mers, Bird Flu and gross air pollution for years you’ll find lots of people wear masks out of choice. Of course it isn’t compulsory. My wife who has asthma has found wearing a mask useful as it reduces air pollution. She’s hardly had to use her puffer in the last 12 months or so. It’s also less of a coincidence that less people have had less colds or coughs since people started wearing masks. But of course it’s a personal thing if you do or not. Personally I still wear one in shops and on public transport.