• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)

Mask and Social Distancing

Should masks and socials distancing remain?

• Yes

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
May 16, 2016
I'd like to think it's just becomes second nature or at least common courtesy to pop your mask on in enclosed public spaces or if you are (or think you are) carrying the cold or some form of virus and can't maintain distance. At least until the scientists agree the risk is low enough not to do so. Who know, we could also contribute to lowering the death rate from other respiratory viruses as a beneficial side effect.

It's not really a burden to carry a mask really is it.

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
Guiri Green":26xd63q2 said:
I'd like to think it's just becomes second nature or at least common courtesy to pop your mask on in enclosed public spaces or if you are (or think you are) carrying the cold or some form of virus and can't maintain distance. At least until the scientists agree the risk is low enough not to do so. Who know, we could also contribute to lowering the death rate from other respiratory viruses as a beneficial side effect.

It's not really a burden to carry a mask really is it.

:clap:

Sep 6, 2006
Willis88":3lprlbfp said:
It is an interesting conversation of when the end would be.

I was thinking just this on a drive this morning, the only conclusion I can make is that after a bit of time (6 months+) wearing masks will become less and less prevalent. Not out of ignorant "it's not my problem" just that the awareness and dialogue will deplete and people will begin to forget their mask and decide to not use it again.

Masks will definitely not be a forever thing, and I recon at some point there will just be a time where collectively we decide to move on and they disappear.

That being said, will how the virus is going globally we're still looking a year away before Covid begins to become a thing of the past. Let's hope between now and then as few people as possible die from the virus.

Covid will never be 'a thing of the past' willis

Sep 6, 2006
ninjamissile":catijcn5 said:
GreenThing":catijcn5 said:
ninjamissile":catijcn5 said:
Willis88":catijcn5 said:
GreenThing":catijcn5 said:
Surely being over cautious is better than being under cautious. Masks don’t pose any risk to health but not wearing one might.

Exactly that.

Other than what some YouTube muppets spout there are no negatives to mask wearing.

Whilst the vaccine seems to be working the cases are rising. People might be less likely to die from it, but if lots more people get it more people will die. (Just a lower %age)

It sounds like everything will reopen on 19th, but things won't return to normal for a long, long while.
Who do face masks protect? Not the wearer.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/coronavirus/ppe- ... -masks.htm

They protect others around you.
Exactly. And if you object to someone not wearing a mask then it's probably best to keep away from them.

Yep sounds about right in a selfish society where so many don't take responsibility. So its down to the individual to avoid everybody, on a bus, shop, pub etc who may be carrying the virus but is too irresponsible to wear a mask.
Seems to be there will be a lot of ill people around even if they don't die.

Willis88

50/50 Sponsor
Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Balham_Green":37r94foi said:
Willis88":37r94foi said:
It is an interesting conversation of when the end would be.

I was thinking just this on a drive this morning, the only conclusion I can make is that after a bit of time (6 months+) wearing masks will become less and less prevalent. Not out of ignorant "it's not my problem" just that the awareness and dialogue will deplete and people will begin to forget their mask and decide to not use it again.

Masks will definitely not be a forever thing, and I recon at some point there will just be a time where collectively we decide to move on and they disappear.

That being said, will how the virus is going globally we're still looking a year away before Covid begins to become a thing of the past. Let's hope between now and then as few people as possible die from the virus.

Covid will never be 'a thing of the past' willis

I'm sure people said the same of the Spanish Flu. The point I was making there is it won't become the daily topic of news media and will eventually just be a "thing we live with" and tend to ignore.

Hence that eventually people will become less and less interested in the measures as Covid becomes something less and less front of mind (and thus a "thing of the past").

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
On reflection....... I think we may have been misdirected?

There's also an aspect of how the public reacts before the announcement- add in the caveat of data

Who's talking Matt Hancock anyone?

Not saying this as a political statement more an observation/ suspicion

:doh:

Sep 2, 2008
Pogleswoody":161k40dm said:
That is why the: 'My right not to wear a mask' brigade wind me up.
Frankly my friend I don't give a tssk if you infect yourself but don't put me, my family, my friends and workmates at risk by exercising your right to 'freedom'. The right to infect people with a deadly disease?? :think:

Been doing it for years with flu so why change things just because a different strain of virus which affects the respiratory system has come along?

We now have a jab which helps our immune system just like the flu jab. We just have to get on with it and live our lives as we did pre COVID and while flu was in and around us.

Nov 15, 2011
We didn't used to have to wear seatbelts. We were allowed to smoke in pubs. Our lives change to protect ourselves and others.

It doesn't seem a big sacrifice to make for now to keep people safe especially when you look at the rising infection rates and that vaccines are not fully effective against the Indian variant. I have asthma and at least for now would feel safer if people wore masks in certain environments.

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
ninjamissile":12v5cnj4 said:

Oh God, look - this had been done to death over a year ago. Masks aren't there to protect you: they are there to protect others from you. So when everyone wears a mask, everyone is protecting others from themselves.

I seriously don't understand why people are so desperate to be free of masks. Yeah, they're annoying, but wearing one for 20 minutes in Sainsbury's is no hardship. Front-line medical staff will still be expected to wear PPE when seeing patients in hospital for any reason - and for that matter, anyone going to hospital will be expected to wear a mask even after restrictions are lifted, so don't forget to carry one the next time you go for an appointment.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Pottypilgrim":13mjzmtl said:
Pogleswoody":13mjzmtl said:
Frankly my friend I don't give a tssk if you infect yourself but don't put me, my family, my friends and workmates at risk by exercising your right to 'freedom'. The right to infect people with a deadly disease?? :think:

Been doing it for years with flu so why change things just because a different strain of virus which affects the respiratory system has come along?

We now have a jab which helps our immune system just like the flu jab. We just have to get on with it and live our lives as we did pre COVID and while flu was in and around us.
Because Covid deaths and hospitalizations are an order of magnitude greater than flu. In a particularly bad year 30,000 die from flu and pneumonia (an average year around 10,000) which represents a loss of around 250,000 life years. This is a sixth of the life years lost to Covid. https://www.health.org.uk/publications/ ... oved-wrong

Yes, we now have the vaccine which is wonderful news and it does appear to be breaking the link with deaths resulting from infection – although it is still early days in terms of data to know the extent. But although we hear 64% of adults have been fully vaccinated now that still means less than half the population when you factor in under 18s who we know can spread the infection as can the vaccinated. We should bear in mind too that even a 95% vaccine efficacy means 1 in 20 could still die from it. The other important fact is that the hardest hit group in terms of ‘life years lost’ is the seventy-somethings who are very vulnerable to death from Covid (more so than flu’) but would be expected to have well over ten years of life ahead of them. Then there’s the issue of variants which we are still learning about and there remains the very real possibility of another deadly wave. Then there's 'Long Covid' which we still know precious little about other than it can be a seriously debilitating condition that has affected many including the the young and fit.

The point is Covid is a whole new type of disease that we haven’t faced before – so you can’t simply compare it to flu’ and say “we just have to get on with it” ….. at least not yet. Sure, some kind of balance must be struck but is it really too much to ask for people to wear masks and keep a distance where they can – like shops, supermarkets, public transport ?

Sep 2, 2008
Ave_IT":2jh8hwvz said:
Pottypilgrim":2jh8hwvz said:
Pogleswoody":2jh8hwvz said:

Because Covid deaths and hospitalizations are an order of magnitude greater than flu. In a particularly bad year 30,000 die from flu and pneumonia (an average year around 10,000) which represents a loss of around 250,000 life years. This is a sixth of the life years lost to Covid. https://www.health.org.uk/publications/ ... oved-wrong

Yes, we now have the vaccine which is wonderful news and it does appear to be breaking the link with deaths resulting from infection – although it is still early days in terms of data to know the extent. But although we hear 64% of adults have been fully vaccinated now that still means less than half the population when you factor in under 18s who we know can spread the infection as can the vaccinated. We should bear in mind too that even a 95% vaccine efficacy means 1 in 20 could still die from it. The other important fact is that the hardest hit group in terms of ‘life years lost’ is the seventy-somethings who are very vulnerable to death from Covid (more so than flu’) but would be expected to have well over ten years of life ahead of them. Then there’s the issue of variants which we are still learning about and there remains the very real possibility of another deadly wave. Then there's 'Long Covid' which we still know precious little about other than it can be a seriously debilitating condition that has affected many including the the young and fit.

The point is Covid is a whole new type of disease that we haven’t faced before – so you can’t simply compare it to flu’ and say “we just have to get on with it” ….. at least not yet. Sure, some kind of balance must be struck but is it really too much to ask for people to wear masks and keep a distance where they can – like shops, supermarkets, public transport ?

I don’t think it is too much to ask but maybe to strike ‘some kind of balance’, that’s why it’s going to be optional.

I personally will wear one if I remember it, for example, when I get out of the car to go shopping but if I forget it, I won’t bother going back to get it.

Nov 15, 2011
And there we have it, if you ask people to take personal responsibility some people just won't bother.

A couple of weeks ago Israel, who have a similar vaccination rate as the UK, dropped the mask requirement. In the last few days they've had around 100 new cases and have brought back masks, we are tipping 30,000 new cases a day and are told they will rise steeply if masks are dropped, but we're going ahead anyway. Someone's getting it badly wrong.

Feb 22, 2008
Mainly Saltash
If you don't want to become infected then the answer is easy - stay at home. Most people have had lots of practice so it shouldn't be a problem. Avoiding close physical contact with friends or family will make you even safer. Can't see the problem. :)

Willis88

50/50 Sponsor
Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
ninjamissile":2rxb2ij7 said:
If you don't want to become infected then the answer is easy - stay at home. Most people have had lots of practice so it shouldn't be a problem. Avoiding close physical contact with friends or family will make you even safer. Can't see the problem. :)

Yeah no problem. People don't need to see family, go shopping, go to events etc. So they can stay at home like hermits.

I struggle to see how hard it is to just wear a mask and get on with life.

Suppose it shows the difference between those of us who care about others and those who just care about themselves.