• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)

Mask and Social Distancing

Should masks and socials distancing remain?

• Yes

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
Please keep this apolitical and science based if comments are made.

Do people believe that masks and social distancing should stay after 19/07.

Yes they should

No scrap it all

Mods any chance of making this a poll as I'd imagine the majority of poster here are middle aged and upwards, so in the higher risk bracket statistically speaking

Thanks Joe

Interesting comment by the Chief Medical Officer for the NHS this morning on the Marr programme. He suggested that even when covid is under control, if we’ve acquired the habit of wearing masks on public transport and in shops, and are washing our hands more regularly, the spin-off would be a reduction in the usual winter flu virus. Makes sense to me.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Surely being over cautious is better than being under cautious. Masks don’t pose any risk to health but not wearing one might.

Willis88

50/50 Sponsor
Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
GreenThing":3ujmkqf3 said:
Surely being over cautious is better than being under cautious. Masks don’t pose any risk to health but not wearing one might.

Exactly that.

Other than what some YouTube muppets spout there are no negatives to mask wearing.

Whilst the vaccine seems to be working the cases are rising. People might be less likely to die from it, but if lots more people get it more people will die. (Just a lower %age)

It sounds like everything will reopen on 19th, but things won't return to normal for a long, long while.

Feb 22, 2008
Mainly Saltash
Willis88":z4gvmkxx said:
GreenThing":z4gvmkxx said:

Exactly that.

Other than what some YouTube muppets spout there are no negatives to mask wearing.

Whilst the vaccine seems to be working the cases are rising. People might be less likely to die from it, but if lots more people get it more people will die. (Just a lower %age)

It sounds like everything will reopen on 19th, but things won't return to normal for a long, long while.
Who do face masks protect? Not the wearer.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/coronavirus/ppe- ... -masks.htm

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
ninjamissile":24zftccp said:
Willis88":24zftccp said:
GreenThing":24zftccp said:

Exactly that.

They protect others around you.

Willis88

50/50 Sponsor
Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
ninjamissile":i27m5g52 said:
Willis88":i27m5g52 said:
GreenThing":i27m5g52 said:

Exactly that.

Well, we all knew that right? If you wanted one that protects you then you'd need a proper filtered one.

The point of the mask is to stop your spittle etc getting aerated and someone else breathing it in (although their mask provides an element of protection as well as its harder for the stuff to get in).

There are a large number of people who had the virus and were asymptomatic, if they walked about without masks they would have unwittingly infected other people.

Still, no downside to wearing a mask.

ninjamissile":1vf8axsp said:
Willis88":1vf8axsp said:
GreenThing":1vf8axsp said:

Exactly that.

Are you sure? I keep reading reports (CDC was the most recent) that masks do indeed protect the wearer.

Pogleswoody

Kate Sponsor
Lowey Sponsor
Pun Master
50/50 Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Willis88":3e2e40zm said:
ninjamissile":3e2e40zm said:
Willis88":3e2e40zm said:
GreenThing":3e2e40zm said:

Exactly that.

Well, we all knew that right? If you wanted one that protects you then you'd need a proper filtered one.

The point of the mask is to stop your spittle etc getting aerated and someone else breathing it in (although their mask provides an element of protection as well as its harder for the stuff to get in).

There are a large number of people who had the virus and were asymptomatic, if they walked about without masks they would have unwittingly infected other people.

Still, no downside to wearing a mask.

That is why the: 'My right not to wear a mask' brigade wind me up.
Frankly my friend I don't give a tssk if you infect yourself but don't put me, my family, my friends and workmates at risk by exercising your right to 'freedom'. The right to infect people with a deadly disease?? :think:

Feb 22, 2008
Mainly Saltash
GreenThing":xw5plcvy said:
ninjamissile":xw5plcvy said:
Willis88":xw5plcvy said:
GreenThing":xw5plcvy said:

Exactly that.

They protect others around you.
Exactly. And if you object to someone not wearing a mask then it's probably best to keep away from them.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Up to you if you feel the need to protect those around you or not. Personally I’d like to think that I’ve done my best to make sure I’m not spreading it around.

Apr 30, 2004
Launceston
I genuinely understand why a large number of people favour a cautious approach. The question is how do you define the end point? Is it when there are zero cases? Is it when everyone has been vaccinated? Is it when there are zero deaths?

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
KeithB":1smgdjl9 said:
I genuinely understand why a large number of people favour a cautious approach. The question is how do you define the end point? Is it when there are zero cases? Is it when everyone has been vaccinated? Is it when there are zero deaths?

That's my point based on the science we are nowhere near the end

Professor Adam Finn, from the Government’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), said face coverings are extremely valuable under certain circumstances and he does not plan to ditch them.

He told Sky News’ Trevor Phillips On Sunday programme: ‘Well on a personal level I shall certainly be continuing to wear a mask if I’ve got any symptoms or if I’m in an enclosed space with lots of other people for a prolonged period of time, indefinitely in fact.’

I personally don't see wearing a mask in certain circumstances as an imposition.

If it stops others being infected by me that's a small price to pay and likewise others infecting me I'm ok with that

Willis88

50/50 Sponsor
Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
It is an interesting conversation of when the end would be.

I was thinking just this on a drive this morning, the only conclusion I can make is that after a bit of time (6 months+) wearing masks will become less and less prevalent. Not out of ignorant "it's not my problem" just that the awareness and dialogue will deplete and people will begin to forget their mask and decide to not use it again.

Masks will definitely not be a forever thing, and I recon at some point there will just be a time where collectively we decide to move on and they disappear.

That being said, will how the virus is going globally we're still looking a year away before Covid begins to become a thing of the past. Let's hope between now and then as few people as possible die from the virus.