up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Luton cost of squad £1.5 million.
On crowds 6000 less than ours.
With no major backer that I'm aware of.
A good manager and shrewd transfer dealings can take you a long way in the championship. Never is too soon.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff
Dec 30, 2020
Some time ago now but Luton nicked our best centre back for years with a contract offer that blew Argyle out of the water, while we had to look to players released by Rochdale and Falkirk as his replacement.

Obviously they're competing with much higher spenders than themselves at the top of the championship, but I don't think they've got there on an Argyle budget.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Nathan Jones has the weirdest accent I’ve ever heard too. I can’t understand a word he says.

• Haha
Reactions: Welwyn Pilgrim
Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
If we had an airport then location is no issue. I doubt it can be reopened as such due to all the housing chucked up all around it?

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Luton cost of squad £1.5 million.
On crowds 6000 less than ours.
With no major backer that I'm aware of.
A good manager and shrewd transfer dealings can take you a long way in the championship. Never is too soon.
They are run very similarly to ourselves with the same principles. I don't think the cost of the squad is that important more what they can pay in salary with much larger tv income. Their gates are only just over 3,000 less than ours. They don't have a major backer but five directors have put in over 12 million of their own money in the past.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
If we had an airport then location is no issue. I doubt it can be reopened as such due to all the housing chucked up all around it?
It could be reopened but the runway restricts the size of aircraft that can use it. It was only viable as long it could provide a service to London but landing fees at Gatwick and London City became uneconomical without larger planes. The only way it could reopen is if they could extend the runway but that would involve a hell of a lot of compulsory purchasing of the land required, most of which is commercial.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Luton paid way way more on wages for the 3rd tier when I was more 'in the know' if you know what I mean.

So perhaps they gain because of their location in picking up non transfer fee players, but still pay very good wages.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
It should go without saying, but obviously location isn't the ONLY factor at play. Luton DO have an advantage over Argyle as far as location is concerned (e.g. much easier to attract players already based in, or wanting to be based close to, London or central/east midlands) but if they are badly managed/organised then they can easily fritter away that advantage.

May 22, 2006
No airport, no motorway and a railway that takes the scenic route. Thank goodness Gove is set on ‘levelling up’ the country. Should be alright imminently.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
It could be reopened but the runway restricts the size of aircraft that can use it. It was only viable as long it could provide a service to London but landing fees at Gatwick and London City became uneconomical without larger planes. The only way it could reopen is if they could extend the runway but that would involve a hell of a lot of compulsory purchasing of the land required, most of which is commercial.
The main reason is that there is a bloody great hospital built right next to the airport. Hence, no jets.

BA146s could have been used had the runway been extendable by around 500 metres. A 146-3 requires about 1600metres of runway to take off fully laden. Roborough's main runway was only 1170 metres. Stopping, from a touchdown speed of 125 kts is around 1200 metres.

The secondary runway was only 750 odd metres.

May 8, 2011
No airport, no motorway and a railway that takes the scenic route. Thank goodness Gove is set on ‘levelling up’ the country. Should be alright imminently.
What we need is levelling down of Haldon Hill so trains don’t need a big detour to avoid it.
Wasn’t aware the levelling up applied to topography as well.