Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Ok. Maybe the penny hasn’t dropped yet because this is the first time head protection has been mentioned. Seems like a sensible solution, although players will have to learn to hard the ball again as I suspect that it’ll need a new technique.

Jun 27, 2019
If you ban heading then you'd have to ban crossing, and in fact any kind of long ball. Otherwise you'd have the ludicrous scenario of players waiting for the ball to bounce so they could try and bring it under control. It'd be like those epic scrambles you have on the school playground; fun to be involved in but not if you're a professional footballer!

As Balham said, head protection is the only way forward.

Sep 25, 2010
Seriously, heading is part and parcel to the game of football.

Why don’t the authorities, do something useful, by banning boxing. Because that so called sport, is dangerous to every participant. Almost every boxer, has had serious brain issues and dementia, because of this.

Nothing short of thuggery.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Seriously, heading is part and parcel to the game of football.

Why don’t the authorities, do something useful, by banning boxing. Because that so called sport, is dangerous to every participant. Almost every boxer, has had serious brain issues and dementia, because of this.

Nothing short of thuggery.
If someone wants to get their head punched in on the name of sport, that’s their choice, let them crack on. Football is different as it’s a team sport and choosing not to head the ball effects the whole team.

Sep 25, 2010
I am not comparing the two.
Just pointing out every boxer had a mental health and brain issue problems.
So it is better to look at the damage, to every boxer, because of the severe blows to the head, in every match.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
It is a very difficult subject. I just wonder if, Jeff Astle, for example, was warned early in his successful football career that heading the ball could affect his health in his later life, would it have changed his attitude to his chosen career?

Dec 30, 2020
I've played Sunday League football all my life and the part I hate most is having to stick my nut on the end of those long clearances from the goalkeeper that come down with snow on them. It can be quite painful, especially if you time it wrong (which at that level happens a lot), and I'll often find myself having moments of dizziness or 'seeing stars' for a couple of seconds after a big header.

It's hard to imagine what football would be like if heading was banned or limited to the penalty areas or something. Part of me thinks it would actually make the game more exciting and skilful. I'd be half-inclined to pilot it in a minor league somewhere and see what transpires.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
How about banning heading of the ball in games unless it has bounced first. This would take the most damaging high energy headers out of the game but still maintains some elements of aerial play.

Reactions: GreenThing

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
How about banning heading of the ball in games unless it has bounced first. This would take the most damaging high energy headers out of the game but still maintains some elements of aerial play.
Now that is a very good idea. 👍

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
I'm old enough to have played with the dreaded "casey" football as a kid. Made of thick stitched leather and with protruding laces, and with nothing more than a scuffed dubbin coating, in the wet it became more or less a lead weight (never mind that it was twice the size of our heads to begin with!) and like greenpilled I remember various times when I saw stars and felt dizzy when I was stupid enough to head it.

This talk of reducing or banning headers will produce inevitable cries of "typical bloody wussy modern society" but tell that to Jeff Astle's widow and others - and I'm sure there are countless further examples that were never even diagnosed. The science just wasn't there back then, but now it is and we need to take note. Similar things are happening in American football and rugby.

I too like Doc's idea of letting the ball bounce once - that will take most of the energy out. Huge, lofted corners and free kicks with masses of backspin, anyone? Could be fun!

A casey yesterday:

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

smudja

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 29, 2005
Glenrothes
Cant really stop heading without drastically changing the game.. we can and should invest more in finding some sort of cure for dementia.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Cant really stop heading without drastically changing the game.. we can and should invest more in finding some sort of cure for dementia.
Some things are irreparable once broken. In such cases the ‘cure’ is to not do the damage in the first place.