• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)

Land of Hope and Glory

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Apologies if this is regarded as political, but I’ve just downloaded Land of Hope and Glory by Vera Lynn, in response to a campaign to get it to number one on iTunes. This will force the BBC to play it at the weekend, having banned the singing of lyrics at the Proms concert.

It seems to be an offence to be patriotic these days and us football fans are often made to feel like second class citizens for daring to show the flag, whether Union Jack or cross of St George. Is there any other nation on earth whose young people are made to feel so ashamed of their national flag as ours?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
Lowey Sponsor
Pasoti Donor
Oct 31, 2010
Moved from the main Argyle forum to the Opinions forum.

Pogleswoody

Kate Sponsor
Lowey Sponsor
Pun Master
50/50 Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Devongreenowl":31tjqp8l said:
Apologies if this is regarded as political, but I’ve just downloaded Land of Hope and Glory by Vera Lynn, in response to a campaign to get it to number one on iTunes. This will force the BBC to play it at the weekend, having banned the singing of lyrics at the Proms concert.

It seems to be an offence to be patriotic these days and us football fans are often made to feel like second class citizens for daring to show the flag, whether Union Jack or cross of St George. Is there any other nation on earth whose young people are made to feel so ashamed of their national flag as ours?

Belarusians? :think:
Hong Kong Chinese?

Last time I looked Land of Hope and Glory was a song not a flag. :think:
Flags not banned at the Proms just no oiks to wave them this year.

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
There's nothing wrong with a bit of patriotism (in moderation) and once upon a time I never gave a second thought to Land of Hope and Glory at the Proms. In more recent years it's just made me nauseous, even when I've caught a bit of it on the news.

I know this debate will divide pretty much exactly down Brexit lines, and my view of LoHaG and all the flag-waving is that it represents a preposterous, utterly delusional view of Britain (actually just England) in the 21st century. Queen Victoria died in 1901.

Having said that, with a major lyrical makeover I think it would make a national anthem far superior to our current (and also seriously outdated) dirge. The melody of LoHaG is inspirational, I'll give it that.

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Love it that Boris has been more vocal over this than any of the more serious, pressing issues from the past week. But typical deflection, dead-cat and all that, eh?

Firstly, sing-alongs at gigs is more or less banned at the moment because of the covid risk, and that's a condition of artists being allowed to perform again. The BBC has said that the singing would return to its normal format when this covid crisis is over.

Secondly, the Proms has always reflected the zeitgeist of the times, so a more muted response to the singing of Rule Britannia is an entirely appropriate response to what has happened over the last few months.

And finally it was pointed out that when the Proms first started nobody sang along.

This really is storm in a teacup over nothing. People who are getting irate over this are falling for a typical Boris distraction technique.

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Quinny":513e8v6r said:
People who are getting irate over this are falling for a typical Boris distraction technique.
Indeed. It reminds me of that absurd non-debate two or three years back about silencing Big Ben. As soon as it's served its purpose it will disappear without trace.

Pogleswoody

Kate Sponsor
Lowey Sponsor
Pun Master
50/50 Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Boris knows that the Promenaders are his sort of people, same Nannies, same schools, same Oxbridge college.
He honestly believes that they represent England's Finest.
I'm a Plimmuf prefab sprout, never been to the Proms, never wanted to go. Little in common with that lot.
Guess in 1917 I'd have been over the top whilst they were the ones who blew the whistles to send me and my sort.
To me 'Anthem' is just an affectionate greeting in my native dialect! ;)

Jul 12, 2016
Devongreenowl":31z6c4a6 said:

I cannot believe that the BBC were thinking of dropping Hope of Land and Glory presumably to appease a load of snowflakes .
It does seem to be an offence to be patriotic these days and I would respect the BBC more if they upheld the tradition and told any protesters to get lost. The world's gone mad.

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
oldage":mxg6kbv2 said:
Devongreenowl":mxg6kbv2 said:

I cannot believe that the BBC were thinking of dropping Hope of Land and Glory presumably to appease a load of snowflakes .
It does seem to be an offence to be patriotic these days and I would respect the BBC more if they upheld the tradition and told any protesters to get lost. The world's gone mad.
Sure enough, there's Johnson's two for the price of one: get people all worked up about some diversion, and for good measure paint the BBC yet again as pinko elitists in order to continue to soften up the population for privatisation, so that by the time it happens a majority will think that it's not just a spiffing idea but essential for national security or some such drivel. "Take back the remote control," anyone?

And by the way, did you actually read Quinny's post?

Quinny is spot on, and the perfect answer to the OP. I can’t normally get worked up about anthems, but I wrote to my local MEP (as she then was), Ann Widdicombe, to complain about her disgraceful behaviour when she and her cohorts turned their back on the EU Assembly whilst the Ode to Joy anthem was being played. She gave me a nonsensical response suggesting it reflected the opinion of most people, which is demonstrably untrue.

Pogleswoody

Kate Sponsor
Lowey Sponsor
Pun Master
50/50 Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location