Keith Downing leaves | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Keith Downing leaves

May 8, 2011
You'd think it was Outer Mongolia wouldn't you?

Bye then!
Our concept of distance is very different to the rest of the footballing world.
The number of times I had ‘you’ve come along way’ said to me to which my response is you are no further to come to than anywhere else.
We do have a lot of games like Reading, Oxford, Cheltenham etc where we think they are close but we are normally the furthest away they have to travel.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Defensively we were excellent for the most part whilst of this season in terms of the clean sheets and results.

But for the most part that was the brilliance of Cooper. In March with our good run he made a number of brilliant stops.

I look at games like Wycombe, Ipswich, MK Dons, Oxford, Accrington etc …teams were still making a number of chances against us. Their lack of clinical finishing, our brilliant keeper who made saves he shouldn’t of, often helped us out.

Again, ld say think how many times especially at HP you stood up to applaud a Cooper save. There were a number of them.

Look at the season Lowe was in charge when we went on winning runs. It wasn’t like we won games 3-2 or 4-3. We won winning a number of our games 1-0. The odd exception was a game like Lincoln where we won 4-3.

Before Downing came in most were saying how the defence had improved. Look at our results. Did we really concede more goals than whilst he was here? Did we really concede last chances? Good teams were still ripping us open. Sheffield Wednesday & Sunderland away for example.

Argyle are meant to be a front foot, pressing, attacking team. They turned into a solid defensive unit who move the ball too slowly and have no width.

For me, we need a coach who can help transform us into the football we talk about playing, but actually don’t play.

Last edited:

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
He also says they were in discussions for a couple of weeks. Plymouth hasn’t moved in that time.

I’m not saying location isn’t a factor but I reckon in many cases like this it’s just a socially acceptable way of saying “I wanted more money”
And maybe he wanted to spend more time 'working from home' such as Sheridan/Lowe etc ??

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
I always thought this looked like a relatively short term appointment, mainly to help Shuey with a bit of experience when he was suddenly thrust into the hot seat. It'll be interesting to see if anyone else is brought in or if Hughes will assume the role.

Jun 24, 2008
Bad news, he seemed to have a really positive impact. I also think he's the reason we were able to sign the likes of Sessengon due to his England youth team experience.

He was a great person to have on the books. Shame.

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
I agree he seems like a good coach and just what was needed . However Schuey learned from him for 5 months now he gets the chance to get a new person on board and build his ideal team, get a new set of skills in place. There will be change as every summer but we’ll be ok and we move on.

Sep 3, 2011
Not surprised as he only signed a short term deal. Very best of luck to him. Imagine the meltdown on here if he chose to work with RL 😆

Last edited:

McQ

May 10, 2005
Plymouth
In recent interview schuey made reference to how downing took on the planning of training sessions to the same level and with the same approach that he had. He said that was invaluable as it was one less thing that he had to worry about after becoming no 1.
So based on that he will be a loss and somebody else will have to step in and handle that. Nobody else appears to have that experience (nance appears to be an implementer rather creater) so it will be a step up for somebody, or we get a replacement. Hughes or perhaps Bechet, who looks to have more than just keepers in his sights...we shall see but I don't think this departure can be underestimated.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Further thoughts…..

When you get a coach in you have to look at the impact they made.

1. Were our results better? Well weren’t we in and around the playoffs before he came?

2. Were we better defensively? Didn’t we have games where defensively, especially away from home, we looked as vulnerable as we had earlier. l mean Fleetwood away is surely an example?

3. Did we play any better football than we played earlier in the season? Again l don’t think we did if l’m honest.

lm not saying he was a bad coach. That he didn’t have some impact on improving us. But l don’t see an improvement that wasn’t there when Lowe/Schumacher were in charge for the first part of the season.

Schumacher referred to him as a great “out of possession” coach but l never saw a decent team press without the ball. Maybe we were organised but if we going to be a front foot team we badly need a team press and l just didn’t see this whilst here was here.

All l saw was Camara and Edwards individually being fantastic and winning the ball back when they pressed. As they have done before he was here.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Further thoughts…..

When you get a coach in you have to look at the impact they made.

1. Were our results better? Well weren’t we in and around the playoffs before he came?

2. Were we better defensively? Didn’t we have games where defensively, especially away from home, we looked as vulnerable as we had earlier. l mean Fleetwood away is surely an example?

3. Did we play any better football than we played earlier in the season? Again l don’t think we did if l’m honest.

lm not saying he was a bad coach. That he didn’t have some impact on improving us. But l don’t see an improvement that wasn’t there when Lowe/Schumacher were in charge for the first part of the season.

Schumacher referred to him as a great “out of possession” coach but l never saw a decent team press without the ball. Maybe we were organised but if we going to be a front foot team we badly need a team press and l just didn’t see this whilst here was here.

All l saw was Camara and Edwards individually being fantastic and winning the ball back when they pressed. As they have done before he was here.
MGM , you should consider doing a monthly tactical analysis next season to keep all of us less aware fans in touch with the difference between a football managers tactics , team selection and flexibility in game compared to your knowledgeable insights . I am sure a once monthly ;)contribution would be much more popular .

Last edited:

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
MGM , you should consider doing a monthly tactical analysis next season to keep all of us less aware fans in touch with the difference between a football managers tactics , team selection and flexibility in game compared to your knowledgeable insights . I am sure a once monthly contribution would be very popular .

lol, l could hear groans as you posted that.

Not a chance. l’d be lynched. ;)

Whatever your opinion, doesn’t make it right or wrong.

l just base mine on what l see and how Argyle have identified they wanted to play.

Reactions: justanotherfan

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007

SMG

Oct 22, 2021
Schuey mentioned Rob Kelly was the contact to get Downing here initially.

Kelly joined Wigan as assistant to Richardson last summer but who knows if he wants a new challenge. Richardson has a year under his belt now. Unlikely but you never know.